U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2008, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Rolando, San Diego CA 92115
7,101 posts, read 17,915,031 times
Reputation: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchDoctor View Post
I'm pretty sure what the OP expects is that there should be a more equitable share of the profits. It's hard to feel like you work for the same company when the Mercedes are in the reserved spaces and the old Datsuns are at the back of the lot.
Equity isn't something you expect. It's something you negotiate. If you take a job at Mom n' Pops and they treat you like "Family" that amounts to exactly a hill of beans. If you want equity, you negotiate it. You get options or shares and everything is on paper. If you want to be "treated like family" you would probably be better served by actually working with your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2008, 07:39 AM
 
Location: property tax hell
1,907 posts, read 3,742,041 times
Reputation: 1492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Are there any companies out there that still value their employees and still put the employee above the bottom line?
There are plenty of employers who do understand the notion that employees are their biggest assets... but as Sassberto indicated, they are in existence is to make money... so expenses needs to be minimized. It becomes the chicken and egg issue.... can't provide benefits if company isn't doing well... but hard to get employee's to respond if you don't treat them well.

And it also comes down to individual preferences too. Some companies are considered great to work for because they provide benefits such as day-care and flexible schedule... but an unmarried employee without kids may not see these things as a true benefit. By the same token that same person may love the quarterly all expense paid off-site meetings/teambuilding activities... but a family man or woman would see that as a real PITA.

However, I do think that one's outlook are far more affected by their immediate managers than any company policy/program. They can make your life hell, or shield you from corporate BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 07:42 AM
 
Location: Rolando, San Diego CA 92115
7,101 posts, read 17,915,031 times
Reputation: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
However, I do think that one's outlook are far more affected by their immediate managers than any company policy/program. They can make your life hell, or shield you from corporate BS.
Agreed. Your relationship with your boss is the most important relationship you have in the workplace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 12:29 PM
 
20,730 posts, read 16,067,635 times
Reputation: 8258
Let me add a question. Are there any customers that value the Mom and Pop business, or will they go to the larger, and maybe cheaper stores???? Do you wave to Mom and Pop as you drive by????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 02:44 PM
 
Location: City of the damned, Wash
429 posts, read 1,699,446 times
Reputation: 231
How can I value Mom & Pop when they want three and a half bucks for a regular sized box of crackers? M & P may be drowning, but they are not going to take me with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 03:41 PM
 
20,730 posts, read 16,067,635 times
Reputation: 8258
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyM View Post
How can I value Mom & Pop when they want three and a half bucks for a regular sized box of crackers? M & P may be drowning, but they are not going to take me with them.
I do not disagree with you. So, buy your crackers from the larger store, the employees will just be "fillers" in the food chain, and life will go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Ridgway/Saint Marys, PS
943 posts, read 2,297,233 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Let me add a question. Are there any customers that value the Mom and Pop business, or will they go to the larger, and maybe cheaper stores???? Do you wave to Mom and Pop as you drive by????
For me, it really depends.. if I just need a few things and the Mom n Pop type store is clsoer by, I'll stop there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 04:35 PM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,047,127 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Mom n' Pop shops are the worst of all and only care about taking care of their relatives.

You are right, I have worked for 3 family owned businesses in my life. They made sure their own were given the best work, etc.
I brought in a 60K contract to a business, and the owner's son told me the commission was his. I was shocked and asked him why, when he had absolutely no part in this whole thing I nurtured...he said it was his day of the week to get a new commission.
I was really mad, since it took me a lot of time to bring this other business onboard as a client, and he was rarely at work, just off doing whatever, stopping in when he felt like it.
I never got one cent of commission off it, and I went and told the owner (his mommy) I was quitting over their ethics. She squirmed a lot in her chair, but never offered to correct it. They had quite a revolving door there.

Expecting a business to "care about me" is a real weird thought. I think if one finds a work environment that is sane, then you're ahead. But asking them to care is not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 04:37 PM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,047,127 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
There are plenty of employers who do understand the notion that employees are their biggest assets... but as Sassberto indicated, they are in existence is to make money... so expenses needs to be minimized. It becomes the chicken and egg issue.... can't provide benefits if company isn't doing well... but hard to get employee's to respond if you don't treat them well.

And it also comes down to individual preferences too. Some companies are considered great to work for because they provide benefits such as day-care and flexible schedule... but an unmarried employee without kids may not see these things as a true benefit. By the same token that same person may love the quarterly all expense paid off-site meetings/teambuilding activities... but a family man or woman would see that as a real PITA.

However, I do think that one's outlook are far more affected by their immediate managers than any company policy/program. They can make your life hell, or shield you from corporate BS.

I agree....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2008, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Rolando, San Diego CA 92115
7,101 posts, read 17,915,031 times
Reputation: 2883
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
There are plenty of employers who do understand the notion that employees are their biggest assets... but as Sassberto indicated, they are in existence is to make money... so expenses needs to be minimized. It becomes the chicken and egg issue.... can't provide benefits if company isn't doing well... but hard to get employee's to respond if you don't treat them well.
It's all a question of where you fit in on the income / expense curve. The closer you are to income, the more indispensible you tend to be and as a result, the more highly-paid you will be. Similarly, the more specialized your knowledge, or a constrained supply of available experts, the more demand exists.

This is why sales, marketing, management and product development groups are often so highly paid, and production workers and administrative staff are so low-paid, despite the fact that the production workers make the actual product and 40k/yr admins also do 75% of the white-collar workload.

The difference between a company that "treats people well" vs those that don't is an intangible. As long as you get along with your boss and co-workers, and the checks keep cashing, there's not much to worry about aside from doing your job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:05 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top