Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times

Advertisements

What is IT and a consultant position for IT?
I hear there is good money in it.
Maybe I should get educated in it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2008, 09:01 PM

451 posts, read 1,228,079 times
IT is information technology.

I'm not gonna go on and on about it, but it covers a broad field of jobs based around computers. You got Database guys, programmers, Server folks, Infrastruture people and so on. Each of them has training that corresponds to there jobs. Some of them overlap into each other. Consultants are usually experienced in there areas and help out companies instead of them having to pay to have that type of experience on staff, but what they usually do is just cost the company more money. Dont get into this field if you are just looking for big bucks. You will be chewed up and spit out in no time. If you really love this type of work we welcome you.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
Expand on "chewed up and spit out" PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.H81 View Post
IT is information technology.

I'm not gonna go on and on about it, but it covers a broad field of jobs based around computers. You got Database guys, programmers, Server folks, Infrastruture people and so on. Each of them has training that corresponds to there jobs. Some of them overlap into each other. Consultants are usually experienced in there areas and help out companies instead of them having to pay to have that type of experience on staff, but what they usually do is just cost the company more money. Dont get into this field if you are just looking for big bucks. You will be chewed up and spit out in no time. If you really love this type of work we welcome you.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:20 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It's true that there is money in it, but you have to have the interest in being in it. I have been in finance all my life but during a period of unemployment, went for my CNA (Certified Novell Administrator) cert, and have passed 4 of the 7 exams for a CNE (Cert Novell Eng'r) and eventually quit. I just did not have the interest for it, no matter what it pays. I can program in SQL and in VB but absolutely hate the thought of doing that full time. You should talk to some people who are career IT professionals if you want to pursue this field, and see if it is something you want to do. Also, it requires continuous ed so you don't fall behind in technology. For example, a lot of mainframe guys are finding out that there are not as many jobs for them as it used to as they now require IT background geared towards server technology. You should be willing to learn with the emerging tech of the times. My 2 cents...

Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
It's true that there is money in it, but you have to have the interest in being in it. I have been in finance all my life but during a period of unemployment, went for my CNA (Certified Novell Administrator) cert, and have passed 4 of the 7 exams for a CNE (Cert Novell Eng'r) and eventually quit. I just did not have the interest for it, no matter what it pays. I can program in SQL and in VB but absolutely hate the thought of doing that full time. You should talk to some people who are career IT professionals if you want to pursue this field, and see if it is something you want to do. Also, it requires continuous ed so you don't fall behind in technology. For example, a lot of mainframe guys are finding out that there are not as many jobs for them as it used to as they now require IT background geared towards server technology. You should be willing to learn with the emerging tech of the times. My 2 cents...
Complete agree here. And this doesn't just ring true for IT, but all lines of work. If you don't like the work.. the money will never be there. The average pay MAY be higher.. but doesn't mean you'll make that "average" right out of the gate.

I was an IT consultant for 6 years..... Information Security. And you are basically relied upon for your expertise... its not something you do if you are not highly experienced - trial and error doesn't usually work in this field. And depending on the type of consulting the hours are extremely long. I lucked out as my clients are in the Federal sector... but my private sector colleagues worked 60+ hours and some had 60% travel.

Old 03-09-2008, 12:08 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
I have to add that if you are in some form of disaster recovery function or other similar responsibility where you are on call 24/7/365, be prepared for the pager to be buzzing off your belt holder all the time. I couldn't even stand traditional finance where your life is run by monthly, quarterly or year-end close. Too hard to plan vacations, and you are laid the guilt-trip for being sick during close. There are certain jobs that take over your personal life. I tend to avoid those with a passion.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:47 AM

455 posts, read 1,499,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I have to add that if you are in some form of disaster recovery function or other similar responsibility where you are on call 24/7/365, be prepared for the pager to be buzzing off your belt holder all the time. I couldn't even stand traditional finance where your life is run by monthly, quarterly or year-end close. Too hard to plan vacations, and you are laid the guilt-trip for being sick during close. There are certain jobs that take over your personal life. I tend to avoid those with a passion.
Agreed! Even in a regular IT/Developer position, you're technically 'on-call' 24/7/365. In larger IT shops, you'll have specific processes that you're responsible for, and while you may not have the pager, the operator that is first notified of the error will be calling you shortly.

Also, breaking into the IT field can be a long, tedious and low-pay. You start out with little-to-no professional experience, have to learn the business, and have to build the years of experience in specific technologies, and HOPE that those technologies don't get end-dated before you've gotten into your prime.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:49 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,473,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You gotta love computers. It's a tough career but yes, you can make good money. IT encompasses R&D, programming, database work, networks, support, desktop, etc.

Generally the IT side (hardware, networks) is more "blue-collar" than the Engineering side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment