Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 07:29 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 27 days ago)

34,601 posts, read 16,662,916 times

Advertisements

Another piece of advice I didn't give privately was "gofundme." The pitch might be that you need money for a bar review course and to take the exam.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:49 PM

126 posts, read 124,651 times
Quote:
Another piece of advice I didn't give privately was "gofundme." The pitch might be that you need money for a bar review course and to take the exam.
Thanks, I'll find a way to figure it out. I did my best song and dance for a slightly above minimum wage job today, and I think I might have landed it, I'm going to follow up on it tomorrow. I've still got the same charm that won me a bunch of hearings in my internships. I've also got a bunch of other interviews coming up for not so great gigs, but pay's pay. I've done it before, I'll do it again. I'm like a cockroach, not even a nuclear apocalypse can stop me.

Damn, though, it's brutal out there. One interview I went on, I think the guy used me as market research for a new position he was thinking about forming ... I tried to pitch him unrelated services I thought he might like, so he brings me in to chat about it.

Next day I see the post show up for the new job on Indeed.com, even after I wrote them a compelling thank you letter. The guy tricked me into revealing all of my job and salary experience and used it for this posting. It's a dog eat dog world out there, oh yeah.

Old 04-10-2017, 09:51 PM

1,158 posts, read 952,239 times
Have you thought about becoming a paralegal? Since you went to law school you already have the skill set(legal research). Contact some recruiters or start applying for jobs in a law office. With 10 years of experience that job can pay very well depending on the specialty.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:13 PM

Ehhh, my issue is that I'm too much for roles like that. I have a huge personality, tons of energy, a lot of talent, and people don't really seem too happy having me around. Ya know, all this stuff I've written, it's real. You know what it takes to do all the things I've said? The very qualities and talents that make people not like me in work environments, because I'm a threat to them, when I have no interest whatsoever in being that, it's just who I am.

I'm a good guy who knows how to get along, I just have this particular kind of personality that makes me this way. Can't do a damn thing to stop it except cripple myself, which then lets people take advantage of me. No good way around it.

I have no ****ing idea how I'm going to make it out in this world, unless I can find an employer who appreciates what I have to offer. Not counting on it. I need to come up with some kind of workaround.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:37 PM

29,455 posts, read 22,412,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
If you don't want to accept the answers given to you on 15 pages idk what u trying to accomplish.

People have sympathised, gave advice and read your story. Ill say wat i want here as long as its in the rules. You can either accept it or go somewhere u will hear what u want. You dont know me and i dont know u only what u write here.

Based on your posts
I think you need to see some help. If this is all for real it requires immediate counseling or something . Nothing changes if nothing changes.
See, was I right or was I right?

Like I said pages ago, the OP isn't really looking for any meaningful advice, but just a way to ramble on and bemoan about how horrible his situation is.

One thing I dislike is when forum members take the time and effort to give meaningful advice, and then people like the OP just casually disregard it because their intent is not to seek advice to help them, but just a way to listen to themselves and stroke their egos.

Expect another 10 pages of meaningless rambling.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:39 PM

Hurrrr, I am taking advice, when it applies, and appreciating it even when it doesn't. C'mon, you're not giving me a fair cut here.

Does my reality bother you, or something? I'm going blah blah blah about it right now because I'm trapped alone in a ****ing abyss and desperately trying to claw my way out of it, and I'm finding whatever the hell I can out there for even a single tiny little ounce of anything that could help, because I have a strong urge to survive and live, and I got nothing to hold onto right now.

Yeah, man, that's my deal. I mean no harm, for real. I'm a surprisingly cool guy in better circumstances.

Last edited by lookingforadvice20202; 04-10-2017 at 10:48 PM..

Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 PM

108 posts, read 289,825 times
I work for an electric utility and they have people with law degrees on staff who never worked as lawyers nor passed the bar, but do things like look over contracts or review new corporate policies. My point being if you have a law degree there are openings for you in a bunch of different industries. Am surprised you cannot find jobs to interview for in insurance, utilities, etc. specific to corporate policy or contracts.

Now if you've already thought and searched for the above which you probably have, a more desperate choice but guaranteed...become a long-haul truck driver. About a billion entry level jobs doing that all over the country starting around $45k/yr. They will pay for your training, you get full benefits, and best part of all you don't have to deal / work with people, so if you're not in a good place right now emotionally, perhaps this might be a good start back into the working world. Seriously, I looked into long-haul trucking as a career change, and there's a gazillion jobs in it, in every major city.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 PM

236 posts, read 256,709 times
Look into any technical jobs that can't be offshored, maybe something in home repair (plumber, etc) or healthcare. These may require credentials or possibly a 2 year associates degree. In the meantime, maybe you could do some tutoring or whatever jobs you can get, even jobs that require no education past college.

I have a masters degree in an oversaturated field and eventually had to go in a completely different direction. Nobody else has a masters degree where I work and even 4 year degrees are rare but it's still a highly skilled job that's difficult to learn so it pays decently. I don't love it but I do get to do research and it pays the bills so it will do for now, though I'd prefer something where I could do at least some writing.

If you're good at writing stories and acting, that should help you with office politics.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:32 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingforadvice20202 View Post
Hurrrr, I am taking advice, when it applies, and appreciating it even when it doesn't. C'mon, you're not giving me a fair cut here.

Does my reality bother you, or something? I'm going blah blah blah about it right now because I'm trapped alone in a ****ing abyss and desperately trying to claw my way out of it, and I'm finding whatever the hell I can out there for even a single tiny little ounce of anything that could help, because I have a strong urge to survive and live, and I got nothing to hold onto right now.

Yeah, man, that's my deal. I mean no harm, for real. I'm a surprisingly cool guy in better circumstances.
I read your first post, and skipped to the last page, not much has changed for you eh?
You've had it tough.

I had it easy,I quit school when I was 15. Got into trouble too many times, arrested etc.
Started working as a dishwasher at 17 because doing something is better than not working.
I just retired last yr after 48 yrs on the job, sold my business and will be buying a house up in Maine.

I don't know what you've been doing all these yrs.
If I had been to law school I would be doing something with that to make money, I would NOT listen to anyone who says its been too long, I'd tell them to eat S. If you want to use what someone said as an excuse not to make a go of it all, I have no sympathy.
Get out there and kick ace.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:37 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papichulo2 View Post
If you don't want to accept the answers given to you on 15 pages idk what u trying to accomplish.

People have sympathised, gave advice and read your story. Ill say wat i want here as long as its in the rules. You can either accept it or go somewhere u will hear what u want. You dont know me and i dont know u only what u write here.

Based on your posts
I think you need to see some help. If this is all for real it requires immediate counseling or something . Nothing changes if nothing changes.
I agree 100%.

The most significant problems in our lives cannot be solved by the same thinking that caused them.
A.Einstein.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment