Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 08:51 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times

Advertisements

Take some responsibility; quite the blame game; and get over it. No one is responsible for your success except for you. Lots of people face hurdles in life and manage to be successful. That's because they work at it and don't expect it to be handed to them. They don't make excuses.

At 34 you are far from "too old." I find that laughable at best. In my late 40's I went back to grad school one more time to enter a related, but a new career. It was during a time in my life that I faced a LOT of emotional problems and psychological stressors. To put it mildly, my life was turned upside down in many ways. I also had a full-time job and a teenage at home.

Despite the many difficulties I faced at the time, I worked through the courses, never considered I was too old to begin again, and just did it. I didn't doubt my ability to change careers and get my life back on track. I took responsibility and worked. Today I'm very happy in my new career. Last year I made more money than ever in my life--in my 50's.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:58 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I'm fairly certain folks, we're being played. OP responses are lengthy, detailed and chapter and verse out of some kind of "if they say that...I say this" script. Time to get the pop corn out and see the ending and credits.
You mean the fact that he's never had a relationship but his mom ran off his Ivy League GF and made her crazy was probably not true?

Old 04-08-2017, 09:00 AM

3,820 posts, read 8,745,552 times
For those of you telling this guy he can still be a lawyer - wouldn't you want someone with such poor judgement representing you?

Old 04-08-2017, 09:03 AM

1,454 posts, read 1,943,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink caddy View Post
I'm fairly certain folks, we're being played. OP responses are lengthy, detailed and chapter and verse out of some kind of "if they say that...I say this" script. Time to get the pop corn out and see the ending and credits.
i agree..take a look at his other posts..

Old 04-08-2017, 10:36 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Have you offered your services on TaskRabbit? Have you looked at elance (it has a new name now) - people are often looking for copywriters. Those might get you quick income.

Additionally are you applying for content marketing roles? That is the same thing as copywriting but those roles don't show up in the same place. I can't believe you can find roles we have hired 2-3 at each of my last few jobs.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:34 PM

126 posts, read 125,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
For those of you telling this guy he can still be a lawyer - wouldn't you want someone with such poor judgement representing you?
Yeah, I won just about every case I argued; nothing high level, but I showed promise. I was even able to get myself out of a traffic ticket. I wasn't bad at it. You're a pretty mean spirited dude.

I'm not going to give up, I have a few more things left to try before I call it quits, I'm just freaking the hell out right now, and I don't think it's helping.

And if you think this **** is fake, there are real people who will confirm this, because real people were involved. If it sounds like this is Written with a capital W, it's because I've been a professional writer and lawyer my entire career, telling stories is my job. This story is real, though -- not sure what I'd be playing here, I just need to talk to someone, anyone, about what the hell is going on here! You think I have family to talk to about this? My grandfather suggested I go hang myself as the solution to this.

I appreciate all the responses here, and thank you. I'm going to go and give this one last big shot. I've pulled myself through before... I just hope I can do it again.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:49 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
It's judgment, not judgement.

But nonetheless, what makes you think most - even successful - lawyers are so perfect? Many of them struggle with depression, personal failures, long term unemployment and professional setbacks. It's not all due to poor judgment. Some of it is due to luck of the draw or circumstances.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:55 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,557,016 times
you were or still a lawyer or very least on path to becoming one

next step is to well actually make that next step whether it be going back to school, getting certified, apprenticeships? Relocate move out of state or sumtin that keeps you moving forward.

Old 04-08-2017, 01:55 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

At 34 you are far from "too old." I find that laughable at best. In my late 40's I went back to grad school one more time to enter a related, but a new career. It was during a time in my life that I faced a LOT of emotional problems and psychological stressors. To put it mildly, my life was turned upside down in many ways. I also had a full-time job and a teenage at home.

Despite the many difficulties I faced at the time, I worked through the courses, never considered I was too old to begin again, and just did it. I didn't doubt my ability to change careers and get my life back on track. I took responsibility and worked. Today I'm very happy in my new career. Last year I made more money than ever in my life--in my 50's.
Well goody gumdrops. You've never faced age discrimination? You are just lucky. I was considered too old for certain jobs in my late 20s, but I'm a woman and that's part of it. I had all the qualifications for one job, including a bachelor's degree and a paralegal certificate from an accredited school; and I found out they gave the job to my friend, a big-bosomed woman, younger than me by a few years, cuter, with only a high school diploma and no legal experience. She didn't even understand the basic legal terminology and didn't know how to do any research. But she was damn cute. I can guarantee you that there are plenty of employers who would deny you a job based on your age.

This is part of the reality of being in the workforce.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:20 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,548,500 times
I recall seeing an HBO special years ago of a comedian. He was really good. Although I don't remember his name what I do remember is he was saying how his life at 32 was a complete disaster. And in a handful of years everything turned around for the better. That caught my attention at the time because I also felt lost. This may not help you very much in a practical way, but odds are you are going to look back in the not too distant future and wish you could give yourself a pat on the back and some words of encouragement.
DC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment