U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 03:33 PM

3,651 posts, read 5,462,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
It really depends on the type of work you are doing.

- Shrinkwrap product dev work is mostly still C++ on Windows
- High performance server stuff is Java, C++ and C# on Linux/Solaris and Windows
- Web Development runs the gamut from PHP to Java to C#/ASP.NET on Linux and Windows
- SQL Databases (Oracle & SQL Server) are must-have skills these days

Generally speaking it's most lucrative to specialize in a business domain, which is why ERP/CRM/DBA consultants make money. If you are going to move forward as a generalist I would concentrate on C# or Java, VB.NET is more or less a dead end.
Pretty much sums it up. Java and Oracle were the 2 that immediately came to mind; I see them far more than anything else. Hon. mention to C#/C++. Frankly stuff like UNIX and SQL are almost assumed to be known it seems, much like MS Windows and Office are for many non-techs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 03:36 PM

20,293 posts, read 15,519,122 times
In my opinion, Java is on it's way out. J2ME might have some more life.

My recommendation: Sharepoint Sharepoint Sharepoint. It's Niche right now, with massive growth.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:06 AM

6,608 posts, read 6,747,471 times
a little Perl on the side never killed anyone's chances

Old 06-21-2010, 09:43 AM

7,492 posts, read 8,219,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

My recommendation: Sharepoint Sharepoint Sharepoint. It's Niche right now, with massive growth.
Not sure where you're looking, but I work with Java and I see lots of demand. It just depends on what city you're willing to go to.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:49 AM

454 posts, read 956,014 times
Since this was necro-posted... I'll add to where I'm at today:

Found a position in C#, ASP.NET 3.5 and SQL Server enterprise development (SOAP/WCF) after putting a year in at an ERP company working with C#/VB.NET and Sharepoint.

Side note: Sharepoint is an abomination of a product and should be banned from any actual development projects outside of an easy setup for team communication and basic document management.

I'm currently in a class for my MCPD 3.5 cert, which is being fully paid for by my company.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:54 PM
qsr

41 posts, read 56,557 times
I'm a tester, not a developer, but here's the stuff I'm seeing right now. For testers, you need to learn
1. Selenium or Watir (Ruby)
2. HP Quality Center and Quick Test Pro
3. Fit/Fitnesse
4. Bugzilla (or any bug tracking product)
5. General--Unix, Linux, or MS Windows 2008 with power shell, some type of SQL, Oracle

For devs-- C/C++ are hot right now because of the mobile device boom. Objective C is easy to learn after that. Java is a decent starting point if you want to move to C++. Python is another nice niche for people with OOP backgrounds. Some of the MS platforms like .Net are always in demand. Look through the listings on Dice if you want to get the feel for the market.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:16 PM

68 posts, read 71,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

Ugh, sharepoint. The money might be good now but it won't last and sharepoint itself is *horrible*.

Java is far from "on it's way out". So many sites and so many companies have a significant investment in java. It's the cobol of our era and will be around for decades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsr View Post
C/C++ are hot right now because of the mobile device boom. Java is a decent starting point if you want to move to C++.
For mobile devices you need either Objective C for iPhone or Java for Android. Don't bother with anything else.

Learning Java so you can move to C++? I've never heard of such a thing.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:04 PM

397 posts, read 438,744 times
I attend to agree with some of the comments.
I agree, Java is far from "on it's way out". Java is everywhere.
Also, "a little Perl on the side never killed anyone's chances". I always try to get customers to buy into python or ruby; but, for many, perl is always lingering around.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 PM

397 posts, read 438,744 times
Personally, I hate VB.NET. However, if you are only doing FoxPro or COBOL, any alternative would be better.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:50 PM

1,475 posts, read 1,180,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
So after graduating college and working for a company at $38k annually for 2 years using dead languages (FoxPro and COBOL) with mostly break-fix type 'development' running quick and dirty SQL queries for one-time data pulls, I'm in the process of searching for a new position.
Leave IT, the wages are dropping and the hours are increasing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment