Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 08:19 AM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times

Advertisements

Have you ever shown up for work one day to find a co-worker was suddenly gone with no explanation, and it was fairly clear you'd never get one? I realize that bosses have no obligation to discuss what happened, but it's still jarring when you see someone every day and then suddenly you don't. And based on conversations I've overheard, I'm not the only one who's curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 08:20 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
No one I really worked with closely. I did work at a call center where a lot of contractors were used, and management would call the agency and tell them to not report back.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
*raises hand* I was a vanished coworker. In 2009 I was laid off but they waited until everyone else was gone for the day before they told me (my boss and I worked later hours than 95% of the other people in the law firm).

Up until then everything had been copacetic, including my relationship with my boss - we LOVED working together. So there was NO inkling of a layoff. I was shocked and speechless when the HR rep told me I was being let go.

Once they were done with me, I cleared out my desk and went home. The next morning I got a LOT of phone calls from coworkers asking why my cubicle was empty, and shock that my boss didn't go to bat for me and try to save me.

Three months later they let another 10-12 people go - turns out, I was a test case since they had never laid off an employee go in the history of the firm until me. They wanted to make sure they got it right before they did the larger group, I guess.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:43 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
Have you ever shown up for work one day to find a co-worker was suddenly gone with no explanation, and it was fairly clear you'd never get one? I realize that bosses have no obligation to discuss what happened, but it's still jarring when you see someone every day and then suddenly you don't. And based on conversations I've overheard, I'm not the only one who's curious.

Yes and get over your curiousity.
Stay professional and just do your job.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:46 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Quote:
Have you ever shown up for work one day to find a co-worker was suddenly gone with no explanation, and it was fairly clear you'd never get one?
I actually prefer it that way.

How would you feel if you suddenly got fired and had to pack up your desk in front of all your coworkers while everyone is asking you what happened?

Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,872 times
I am making plans to be a "vanished co-worker" on 12/23/17. Here today gone tomorrow.

When I retire, no fanfare desired. I don't want a card, a cake or a gift, no plaque, no 30 year pin, etc.

People I like at my workplace know already.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 AM

185 posts, read 134,042 times
A group of us were hired and during training I returned to find one person gone. No one said he was gone to those who had been in the field that day. It just became apparent when he was never seen again. He was never mentioned again by anyone. It was like he had never been there. The cloud of silence definitely did make his sudden disappearance more curious. It became even more so when another person walked not long after and they spoke about it.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,115,529 times
Well, people gossip a lot, and maybe through the grapevine you'd find out what happened.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:49 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
I am making plans to be a "vanished co-worker" on 12/23/17. Here today gone tomorrow.

When I retire, no fanfare desired. I don't want a card, a cake or a gift, no plaque, no 30 year pin, etc.

People I like at my workplace know already.
I did this at my last job. I prefer to go quietly, and I choose to let the people I care about know on my own terms.

I have never understood the need to send out emails, etc.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:53 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,067,392 times
Quote:
The only people who're curious are the ones that feel self-conscious and are projecting that they may be next to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment