Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:32 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebebe View Post
So some of the employees just did not show up for work or left a note with the guard? I guess they don't need another job since giving 1-2 weeks notice is foreign to them.

As a person who hired employees for years I would never consider hiring someone who quit because they had a bad day.

Is this normal in the IT world? How do they get the next job?

OP, yes, if people are dropping like flies you need to be concerned and looking for another job.
3/4 of them didn't give notice, though I don't know the manner in which all of them quit. I only know that one of them, the one who had been here the least amount of time, told his contracting firm that he did not want to return and the firm themselves delivered the news to my company.

The latest one to quit did give notice and (so far) is being allowed to work his notice.

I've already got feelers out for a new job. I'm picky about commute/location so it takes me a bit longer than someone who would take just any job out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 12:41 PM

1,378 posts, read 737,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm in a smallish IT department. I just started here a couple of months ago.

So far, three of my coworkers have quit since I've been here. None gave any notice; they simply stopped showing up for work or left a note with security when they dropped off their laptop.

I think it's a bad sign.

Thoughts?
Need some high tech immigrant workers to fill in the gap. Bad sign btw.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
I've already got feelers out for a new job. I'm picky about commute/location so it takes me a bit longer than someone who would take just any job out there.
Good for you. Best of luck!

Old 04-25-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Good for you. Best of luck!
Thanks!

Old 04-25-2017, 11:02 PM

858 posts, read 1,807,581 times
Are they being replaced?

How do you feel there?

Old 04-26-2017, 12:07 AM

156 posts, read 123,896 times
Quote:
#1: 10 months

#2: 2 weeks

#3: 18 months

#4: 2.5 years

(LinkedIn.)
A job with a high turnover is a bad job. Is a IT call center job? I know those have high turnover.

I can't believe someone would list a 2 week job on there linkedln account. I say get out asap.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merjolie8 View Post
Are they being replaced?

How do you feel there?
One of them has already been replaced. I don't know how aggressively they're recruiting for the other positions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoX2 View Post
A job with a high turnover is a bad job. Is a IT call center job? I know those have high turnover.

I can't believe someone would list a 2 week job on there linkedln account. I say get out asap.
No, it's not a call center. I'm a developer. This department is comprised primarily of software developers, network admins, windows admins, database admins, hardware people, business analysts, and project manglers....oops, I mean "managers."

(Plus too many mid-level managers.)

The guy who was here for 2 weeks isn't on LinkedIn. I know he was only here 2 weeks because I was here the whole time he was here. I remember his welcome lunch. 2 weeks later, he bailed.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:51 AM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
One of them has already been replaced. I don't know how aggressively they're recruiting for the other positions.

No, it's not a call center. I'm a developer. This department is comprised primarily of software developers, network admins, windows admins, database admins, hardware people, business analysts, and project manglers....oops, I mean "managers."

(Plus too many mid-level managers.)

The guy who was here for 2 weeks isn't on LinkedIn. I know he was only here 2 weeks because I was here the whole time he was here. I remember his welcome lunch. 2 weeks later, he bailed.
Are they trading FTEs for agency temps? That might explain it. I worked at a help desk where there was no other work done at the location outside of the call center directorate. When I first started, they hired all FTEs. This gradually changed until only no benefit, W-2 contractors were hired.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Are they trading FTEs for agency temps? That might explain it. I worked at a help desk where there was no other work done at the location outside of the call center directorate. When I first started, they hired all FTEs. This gradually changed until only no benefit, W-2 contractors were hired.
People who do what we do are not easily replaced by temps.

I think I do need to reemphasize that I'm a developer and 3 of the 4 people who recently quit are highly experienced technical professionals. They are not easily replaced, except perhaps the fellow who quit after only 2 weeks.

So far, none have been replaced except for the one non-technical employee. A temp is doing her job. The guy who quit after only 2 weeks was a contractor to begin with. 3/4 were FTE.

AFAIK, the plan is to replace them with FTEs. They're still hiring FTEs and are advertising positions. We're being asked by leadership to see if anyone in our networks might be a good fit for this company, so they definitely want to recruit.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:48 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
People who do what we do are not easily replaced by temps.

I think I do need to reemphasize that I'm a developer and 3 of the 4 people who recently quit are highly experienced technical professionals. They are not easily replaced, except perhaps the fellow who quit after only 2 weeks.

So far, none have been replaced except for the one non-technical employee. A temp is doing her job. The guy who quit after only 2 weeks was a contractor to begin with. 3/4 were FTE.

AFAIK, the plan is to replace them with FTEs. They're still hiring FTEs and are advertising positions. We're being asked by leadership to see if anyone in our networks might be a good fit for this company, so they definitely want to recruit.
Did the topic title change at some point? I'm now seeing:
Three coworkers quit in the last 2 months (companies, salaries, $30k)

$30K for programmers seems fairly low, and perhaps even insulting to developers who are experienced.

AFAIK, some foreign developers have charged less than this, but more than one company has realized the hard way they get what they pay for, and had to hire other developers to fix code and other messes that the first shop did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment