Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 03:37 PM

185 posts, read 134,042 times

Advertisements

Even with the knowledge of the family emergency I would still think she is stalling. Her references should have been in order from the beginning of her job search. When I began my job search, I contacted some old references just to make sure it was still ok to use them. Now when a job asks I just shoot them a quick message to expect a call or email. I am surprised you are still holding onto her. I would keep pursuing the 2nd candidate. That person made the top two for a reason and could turn out to be a great hire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2017, 03:51 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I agree that it seems likely she's got another potential offer and was hoping to get that one in before making a chance. At this point, you gave her a deadline, she missed it and you've moved on. I would stick with that. But you don't need to tell #1 that right away, you might as well wait to make sure you come to terms with #2, just in case it turns out they want too much money or whatever.

Old 04-13-2017, 04:40 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,729,146 times
I also agree that she is probably waiting to here back about another offer. It's also right before a holiday. However, if I was truly interested in a job I would still call or at least email back.

At any rate, did you already offer #2 the position? If so then you need to stick with that and #1 had her chance. If not, you need to make a decision if you want #1 or #2. Family emergencies do happen so she might be telling the truth!

Old 04-13-2017, 05:14 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
I received a call from her (our first choice) today at 3:00pm. She left a message on my work phone stating she had a family emergency and I guess did not call me or email me back yesterday. Her previous excuse was that she needed, four days I guess, to make sure she had her references in order.

So in the meantime I have already asked the second candidate about salary offers. Should I just continue with what I'm doing or call our first choice back and see what she has to say?
Did she sound interested in the position? or was it a flat, "I had a family emergency, please call me back?"

I mean, even if I had a family emergency, I'd apologize, tell them how interested I am and that I'll be awaiting their call. And then ANSWER when they do call.

I dunno. I agree with everyone else, #1 just seems to not really care if she got the job or not. If I was waiting on a job, even with a family emergency, you would have gotten an email from me at midnight (or right before I went to bed). I have even turned down a job offer, while on vacation in Hawaii.

I hope #2 was more responsive and excited.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:07 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasth View Post
Even with the knowledge of the family emergency I would still think she is stalling. Her references should have been in order from the beginning of her job search. When I began my job search, I contacted some old references just to make sure it was still ok to use them. Now when a job asks I just shoot them a quick message to expect a call or email. I am surprised you are still holding onto her. I would keep pursuing the 2nd candidate. That person made the top two for a reason and could turn out to be a great hire.
Per the bolded --- Spot on! I was telling my husband about this thread and he said the same thing---and I agree. Every time I've applied to a job that asked for references, I was able to give them right then and there.

I have to wonder what is so special about this candidate that the OP is bending over backwards for her.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:10 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
If employees judged and acted on companies this harsh, there would hardly be any companies to work at.

Employers drag you out for weeks, if not months, but when an employee takes a few days, or gosh, even a week, they are the worst person ever.

You are dealing with human beings, life happens and lots of times at the worst possible time. Check her references, see what they have to say.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:19 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,763,629 times
Why are you still waiting?
Move on with the next candidate!

Old 04-13-2017, 06:25 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,038,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
I received a call from her (our first choice) today at 3:00pm. She left a message on my work phone stating she had a family emergency and I guess did not call me or email me back yesterday. Her previous excuse was that she needed, four days I guess, to make sure she had her references in order.

So in the meantime I have already asked the second candidate about salary offers. Should I just continue with what I'm doing or call our first choice back and see what she has to say?
"Family Emergency" is a red flag phrase. It is used by people who do not have a good excuse but don't want you to ask questions. The moment she used that phrase I would move on to the next candidate.

Don't let her jerk you around any longer. You gave her a deadline, she blew it off. Her problems, real or imagined, are not your problems. Move on.

Old 04-13-2017, 07:27 PM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
"Family Emergency" is a red flag phrase. It is used by people who do not have a good excuse but don't want you to ask questions. The moment she used that phrase I would move on to the next candidate.

Don't let her jerk you around any longer. You gave her a deadline, she blew it off. Her problems, real or imagined, are not your problems. Move on.
lol, after she asked us for 'advice' on whether she should continue to pursue this candidate (after several of us said not to the first time), she probably called her back again regardless. I'm willing to bet the OP's next update is that they will move forward with the original candidate (or will continue to pursue her).

Old 04-13-2017, 09:13 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,913,614 times
I went to a job interview the day after my father passed away. So to me, using the excuse of family emergency as a reason why she couldn't return an email or a call rings pretty false. And my father was my world. So please no accusations of being heartless....as devastated as I was at losing him, I also recognized that being able to pay my bills and not mooch off of my mom would be something he'd want.

I'm currently interviewing and in fairly final stages with a company. I don't care what's happening. I'm going to keep my eye on the phone and return a call or email within an hour or two, even if it's just to acknowledge receipt and ask for more time to get something together. Pretty sure everyone in my life would understand. If they don't, then they need to not be in my life anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment