Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 03:35 PM

236 posts, read 551,729 times

Advertisements

I've been a supervisor for about 5 years now, and have hired lots of people. For a current position I have vacant, I've finished with the interviews, and really liked two of the 7 people. My top choice person, she has been a little slow to respond to my emails and phone calls, than what I normally experience. After her interview I sent her an email and left a voicemail that we were strongly considering her and if she could verify her references. It took her 4 days to respond. I emailed and called her again this morning, to discuss offering her the position and asked if she can call me back today, and still no response. If she does not contact me tomorrow, it will be next week before I hear from her because we are closed on Good Friday. She told me in her email she was definitely still interested.

With this pace it will take me FOREVER to get her hired, because it takes a lot of communication with the applicant for paperwork, background check, salary offer, etc. My other top choice responds within a few hours. I need to get this position filled ASAP, since I will be on extended leave in 2 months. I'm wondering if I should try and stick with her, or move on to the next choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 03:44 PM

270 posts, read 280,912 times
Why don't you just move on to another candidate? Obviously she is not taking this position seriously if she is not willing to respond within a timely manner. I'm actually shocked it took her 4 days to respond about the references. If she were really interested, it seems like she would be eager to get back to you.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:47 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,601,098 times
She's waiting for another offer to come in. I was in that position last summer. Finally I had to take the first offer...the dream offer came in a day later! Grrrr.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:50 PM

29,430 posts, read 22,337,909 times
Move on.

Respect goes both ways.

Doesn't matter if candidate was waiting for another offer. That's irrelevant and no excuse at all not to respond in a prompt manner. I've always returned phone and emails the day after receiving contact.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:37 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,134 posts, read 80,221,880 times
I agree, it's a stalling tactic. It shows she is looking for a job that suits her, not that she wants to work for you. I have had that happen a couple of times and will have HR call and give a deadline to accept, and if not met, I move on. Last time, #2 was excited to get the offer, accepted immediately and worked out to be great.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:53 PM

3,568 posts, read 1,336,559 times
She's stalling, and not that excited about the job. Move on. If she contacts you tell her you've decided on another candidate and wish her well.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
call her up give her the ultimatum,,,,,,,,and a couple hours to respond..

Old 04-12-2017, 08:09 PM

29,430 posts, read 22,337,909 times
Anyone that has spent any amount of time in this section of the forum, have seen the numerous threads from forum members so eager to find out when they might possibly be contacted back after a job interview.

These forum members are stressed out because they are so eager to start that job and would be more than ecstatic to hear back right away from the employer and a job offer.

Like I said, respect is a two way street.

Last year we hired a girl as a temp in our department. She took forever to get back to my supervisor, who wanted to discuss a job offer. For some reason they gave her a chance and still offered her the job though her response time indicated lack of enthusiasm. Not surprisingly, she was a dud. Lazy and unmotivated. Luckily she found another job, but she left without even giving a proper notice.

I'd rather offer the job to someone that shows by their action and not words their enthusiasm for the position.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:06 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,485,147 times
She's stalling. And you're not her first choice. Wouldn't you rather have someone who really wants the job YOU are offering? I'd go with the other candidate. You want to fill the position right now, it's already taken a week to even get to this point with the first candidate.

Old 04-12-2017, 09:21 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,645,672 times
I can't believe you are still considering her. Of she wanted the job she would be responding much quicker. Move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment