Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:15 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times

Advertisements

What sort of job? It's one thing if it is a pretty senior position; if they are doing this for a mid level position, it is overboard.

Just hang tight at this point. If they call, they call. They know everything there is to know about you. Put it just like that. No more interviews. Fish or cut bait...tell them they are not making a very good impression on their ability to manage if they can't even decide a hire...politely, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 09:16 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You see it as nonsense. There's the attitude thing again.

You must not need a decent job badly enough. And someone else will always get it before you, because the interviewer can smell your disdain.

*shrugs*

I don't know why I waste my time. Carry on.
Nope I don't need a job right now so how desperate I am for a job is directly proportional to my tolerance for HR nonsense. If you are looking to unimpress your prospective talent and select for the most desperate by all means let your HR people off their leash and have them assign long personality tests and essays and whatever other nonsense they can come up with and waste their valuable time with 6 interviews. Your competitors will thank you.

I used to think about writing thank you letters to all the morons and obnoxious jerks I met when I was interviewing on my last search as they ensured I wound up at a successful company that treats their workers very well.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:33 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
tell them they are not making a very good impression on their ability to manage if they can't even decide a hire...politely, of course.
Exactly this. Interviews are a two way street. If I had a candidate that kept stalling after the offer for weeks and keep calling and asking more question of the HM and HR at some point they would get cut loose.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:20 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
There is some internal conflict or confusion about what the position is, whether it's necessary, who should fill it, etc.

Something's up but it probably has to do with them, not you.

Just went through the same thing in November/December. The position is STILL open. The company even admitted they couldn't answer some of my basic questions about the role, such as organizational chart questions. Wait it out; there's nothing you can do at this stage.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Why are you taking it so personally? As long as you keep pursuing other jobs, who cares how long it takes them? If you're willing to pull out because you're "insulted" then you don't want or need the job badly enough. Do that enough times and you'll be out the job market permanently. Get your pride under control - or if you're in THAT much demand, by all means - take another job! Either that or don't whine when you're still looking in 6 months.

Lots of people out there are unemployed and looking - they'll take the job if you won't.

Old 04-19-2017, 12:38 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,617,882 times
Thanks for insight all. For those that wondered....I am currently employed. Underutilized in current position. The potential gig is attractive because it will provide opportunity to work 100% remote. Other than that...Nothing special. Pay would only increase by ~5k. However the chance to work remotely & make a high salary is what makes me so anxious.

Just little baffled how companies can be so slow with giving a yes or no. The last call with manager is what really got me. Manager gave off a bit of an arrogant tone.

Guess that's part of process. I'm going to keep looking.

Last edited by usamathman; 04-19-2017 at 01:10 PM..

Old 04-19-2017, 12:52 PM

761 posts, read 604,465 times
Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Vince Lombardi

Old 04-19-2017, 01:50 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,221,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Hi all,
Need some quick advice. Just finished up interviews for a position that I am very much interested in.
Have invested a lot of time and energy into the process and am now having doubts about the position.
They are playing games now. If this job meets your needs then take it. This shouldn't distract you from interviewing elsewhere which is probably what they are trying to do.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:35 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
So many people do not understand the problems the company faces when hiring someone. It is not as simple as the most employees and those looking for employment think. A company may be looking for someone that is difficult to find the right person. It may take several interviews before the decision is made. The reason for this, is the one being given multiple interviews may not be absolutely the right person for the job, but is the best that has applied. If you are a perfect fit they will grab you. Let me give you an example.

I know a woman that 2 years ago, was let go along with dozens of other managers. She was in charge of IT and using one specialized program that covered everything done by the company with multiple locations. Manufacturing to inventory, to personnel, to HR, and all down. It allows the President to be able to call up information on every aspect of the entire company. The company was taken over by a group of money people, and they cut out all high paid positions, and ended up selling the company at a high price after lowering the operating costs. Problem, the ones that were left in any type of position, did not know what they should be doing. They fired the head of the department that handled all the computer networking, and telephone systems. Two days later they tried to get him to come back as a consultant as they were in serious trouble. He told them where to go. The major telephone company itself had heard he was fired and they called him the same day he was laid off, and offered him a much better job for more money.

She placed her resume on Dice the same day she was let go, and in less than a week she had 43 serious bidders for her service. They were from Chicago to Houston north and south, and from Boston to the Silicon Valley where she grew up East and West including Portland and Seattle which she likes better by far than some of the other locations. They were willing to hire her on the spot without even going in for an interview, and the best ones told her they would beat any other offer she had so she could even get a bidding war. They all had been looking to fill the position for 2 or more years, and no one qualified answered any ads, and the pay was way way over $100K. The one she liked best and would pay the most beating out all others, was located in the city she had chosen for her retirement location. They had 123 different locations and numerous types she would be in charge of all their IT. She had 20 years experience with that one program, and had taken numerous classes offered to teach her all the different aspects of the program.

She was well known at conferences for that program users, and had spoken on parts of it at conferences. She was known as a super user, and could get the company through a government SOX Audit, which the other companies were all having trouble with. Everyone had been interviewing people for 2 or more years, and no one was hired. They all had serious problems and needed someone with her qualifications.

If you are the perfect candidate as this woman was, they will hire you quickly, and let you name your salary.

On the other hand, few candidates are the perfect candidate for any position and it is a matter of trying to find which would be the best from the applicants. Sometimes none of them are. Others like in the OPs position, are as good as they can find, and after checking them out multiple times finally hire that person. They OP has been told he/she is their first choice, but another applicant has stepped into the picture that may be the best, so they of course will interview that person to see if they are the ideal candidate. There is a strong probability that the OP will be the final selection, and he/she should just sit back and let things play out.

As the company has made up their mind that they will hire the OP if the other candidate is not a better fit, they feel it is time to take the job posting down, as they are no longer looking for candidates for the job. They have selected the OP, but are in the process of checking one other late applicant. The odds at this point are in favor of the OP.

Very few working people, really understand for a real good paying job, how hard it is to find the perfect candidate. Unless you are the one perfect candidate like the woman in my example is, it takes time to make a final decision evaluating possible fits, not the perfect fit person.

Old 04-19-2017, 02:59 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,152,194 times
OP, I can understand your frustration, and I think the unscheduled request for a "final pitch" on the spur of the moment was not cool on the part of the hiring manager. That's pretty unorthodox in my experience. If that happened to me, it might lessen my interest at least slightly.

However you say you really want the job. If that's truly the case, no need to cut off your nose to spite your face. Let it ride, continue with your other interviews, and see if you're still feeling the same if and when you get the offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment