Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2017, 02:56 PM

403 posts, read 666,828 times

Advertisements

I'm working closing shifts as a host/cashier (which is when it gets to be crazy), and this is what the typical scenario is:

-A card reader that breaks down with every 1-2 customers, which delays the line. This is why I prefer it when customers pay with cash. That is very uncommon, however
-So many people screaming to the top of their lungs, with has been causing for the volume of my voice to increase to be heard.
-A customer bitching every three seconds about how we messed up their order (when I confirm it with them, and when the other person who heats up slices in the oven does so as well). This requires for me to communicate with the other person, but they are already taking 10-20 orders at once.
-Having to consistently organize the receipt order by the time that I took them.
-I occasionally have one who writes their name in Mandarin characters (with them not knowing any English), and said that it means that I don't know how to speak English if I can't decipher their name with those characters (which doesn't seem to make too much sense). This delays the line.

I was told that I was extremely good at it, but was wondering if there was a more efficient way to communicating with them? I used to be really good at it, but have lost my touch with doing it well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 PM
Status: "Do not pass GO, do not collect $300 (used to be $200)" (set 8 days ago)

600 posts, read 274,154 times
Reminds me of less than a couple years ago when I was night shift at a convenience store. I'm not sure how feasible these options are, but:

1. Card Reader: management should be receptive to fixing things which are time-expensive. Basically propose that the card reader issues take time away from more valuable tasks, and tally up a rough estimate of time wasted per week. For extra credit, do quick research on upfront and monthly costs of a card-reader, see if getting a secondhand one is an option.

2. Screaming people. Probably no easy options. Security or police presence comes to mind. Maybe a deal could be worked out where a uniformed officer hangs around near closing time in exchange for comp'ed food/coffee/whatever. For some cases, you can mention a "policy" of having to call the police if such-and-such.

3. Order complaints: I can't comment intelligently on this; hopefully everyone on the team cares about minimizing mistakes, and then for cases where there wasn't a mistake, I'd just assume the customer is trying to negotiate for a discount, in which case you either allow the negotiation to move forward, or shut it down... probably the latter.

4. Not sure I understand the receipt order organizing fully, but my instinct says a software solution would help more than it hurts.
5. Mandarin chars: well if it's one or two recurring people, maybe just learn the mandarin for it. The person may well take it as a sign of respect and become less difficult to deal with.

Overall, the most efficient thing in communication is probably to show respect (whether or not it's deserved), and to be non-threatening to the extent possible. Respectfully agree, respectfully disagree, etc. That's all I've got.

Last edited by ElectronicOverlord; 04-23-2017 at 10:15 PM.. Reason: improve legibility

Old 04-23-2017, 11:14 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
use the old carbon copy credit card machines for manually processing credit card payments...

credit cards were widespread before the internet was, people had to process them without those card readers, and they still work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB81UgdqgT0

Old 04-24-2017, 03:32 AM

403 posts, read 666,828 times
What's weird is that I was really good at customer service over the phone, and the fastest. Doing it live is somehow different, and causes anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment