Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:25 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times

Advertisements

There was an "early retirement " party for me last boss where I last worked. He had told me that he was going to work until age 65. He was 62 when he was forced out. It was horribly sad and that's when I knew my days were numbered as well. I left about 3 months later. "Early retirement" seems to be the new buzz word for pushing out older employees. The new manager was half his age. I saw it happen at another job I had with a manager in his late 50's. His job was eliminated and the department heaped on another manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 09:37 AM

11,755 posts, read 14,643,030 times
If the laid-off employees are willing to go then maybe they're not taking it as personally as some people would.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:13 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,689 times
My last company had a going-away party for me--after I was gone!

Seriously, I have seen so much "unevenness" as to when parties are thrown. Had a young guy leave after just a couple of years have a huge pizza party thrown for him which was widely announced. I had a cake in a tiny conference room pretty much unannounced. Which was fine: I didn't really want a fuss. But really: who decides? It's so arbitrary.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:00 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,778,907 times
Go and hopefully they'll get drunk and let everyone know the interesting proclivities of certain managers.

Old 04-25-2017, 12:06 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times
My company has done these types of events.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:14 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,806 times
We recently had one here in the office, during office hours. The lay off decisions came from the corporate headquarters in another state, and those affected got several months notice, so there were no hard feelings among anyone here. There was no awkwardness.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:35 PM

745 posts, read 479,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfbs2691 View Post
If it was about downsizing - I've gone to parties in that situation.
If the company needs to downsize to stay afloat... as much as it stinks.. you can't take that personally.
Except often times these days, companies aren't downsizing to keep the company afloat, they are downsizing to keep the CEO's yacht afloat.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:12 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,396,974 times
My (now former) employer just went through a major downsizing in connection with being acquired. I worked at the former headquarters location and the entire location was shut down, with layoffs occurring in waves. My end date was 6 months after the deal closed, but some groups were 1 month after, 3 months after, etc. By the time it got to my group there many of us left.

There was a happy hour nearly every week for people who were leaving, but in each department, the department itself threw a party right before the first layoff for the department. We had ours at 5 months; it was bittersweet.

Weird times.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:27 PM

44,346 posts, read 20,044,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j7r6s View Post
We recently had one here in the office, during office hours. The lay off decisions came from the corporate headquarters in another state, and those affected got several months notice, so there were no hard feelings among anyone here. There was no awkwardness.
This ^ happened at the company where my sister used to work. Those being let go were given decent severance packages and a going-away party. The company made it at painless as possible for those leaving.

OP, don't give credence to things you hear "through the grapevine." You don't know all the facts. Even though the employees don't want to leave, they apparently have remained civil and have worked out an exit plan with the employer. I suspect it's their choice whether to attend the party or not, but it makes no sense to burn bridges by rudely refusing not to attend.

Ignore the rumors, go to the party if you want to, enjoy the free appetizers and say goodbye to your fellow employees. Or not.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-25-2017, 02:54 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,418,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream1 View Post
I think you misheard, it's a "Go Away" party
Lol! That is what I was thinking!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment