Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2017, 08:58 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,776,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodburyWoody View Post
Employee One: "What do you think of the new boss?"

Employee Two: "She is nice enough, but sure seems tightly wound."

Employees One, Three and Four (in unison): "Oh, for sure."
That's ridiculous. In this instance, "sure" STILL means "certainly". It is not the word "sure" that is at issue, it is the entirety of the sentence. And even then, it is pretty mild criticism. It's not like they're throwing the "b" word around.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:16 PM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
Yes that is correct. I think she is in her fifties. She also sent a text with a family face so I responded back with one. I just told her I understood. I'm not going to argue about it. I have more important things to get passionate about.
Sounds fine to me.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:41 PM

2,449 posts, read 2,602,641 times
"Sure" sounds ambivalent. It's the same as "meh".
Did you end it with an exclamation point? More like "Sure!" See how that appears better?

You should suck up to the boss and reply:
"Yes, I can"
"Certainly!"
"You betcha!"
"I'd be glad to!"
"Absolutely!"

Old 05-02-2017, 07:01 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
Quote:
I responded to her letting me know she would be out of the office next week and she asked if I would work later on some days. I responded back "sure " and she said she doesn't like the word because its a word that says "I don't give a crap" ..

Uh what?

Was it just "sure"? I guess I would have responded "Sure, no problem". But still, not liking sure as a response is silly.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:05 AM

102 posts, read 79,181 times
Yesterday she gave me a "coaching" how to shake someone's hand. It gets weirder everyday.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:13 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Yesterday she gave me a "coaching" how to shake someone's hand. It gets weirder everyday.

What prompted that lesson? Did you shake her hand "wrong"? Was it part of new employee training? Do you have to shake a lot of customer's hands?

Old 05-02-2017, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinawina View Post
What prompted that lesson? Did you shake her hand "wrong"? Was it part of new employee training? Do you have to shake a lot of customer's hands?
Someone else that works in the company on a part time basis walked over to my desk and introduced himself. He kinda snuck up on me and threw his hand out so I shook it.

A few minutes later she walks over and tells me to stand up - she's going to give me a coaching on how to shake someone's hand. She says "make sure you always stand up" and she grabbed my hand and told me my shake was "weak"and pressed hard onto my hand.

Oh.my.gawd.

No I don't need to shake hands a lot. I'm in an administrative support role.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:26 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
Quote:
Someone else that works in the company on a part time basis walked over to my desk and introduced himself. He kinda snuck up on me and threw his hand out so I shook it.

A few minutes later she walks over and tells me to stand up - she's going to give me a coaching on how to shake someone's hand. She says "make sure you always stand up" and she grabbed my hand and told me my shake was "weak"and pressed hard onto my hand.

Oh.my.gawd.

Holy cow. Your boss is weird. LMAO

Good luck with that one.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:30 AM

1,509 posts, read 1,795,550 times
Quote:

Oh.my.gawd.

Sure.

But if you ever want to advance in life, listen to your boss. She's right about these basic life skills.

Maybe she'll just give up on coaching you and groom someone else for success.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
Sure.

But if you ever want to advance in life, listen to your boss. She's right about these basic life skills.

Maybe she'll just give up on coaching you and groom someone else for success.
She's a nut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment