Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 09:46 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
Someone else that works in the company on a part time basis walked over to my desk and introduced himself. He kinda snuck up on me and threw his hand out so I shook it.

A few minutes later she walks over and tells me to stand up - she's going to give me a coaching on how to shake someone's hand. She says "make sure you always stand up" and she grabbed my hand and told me my shake was "weak"and pressed hard onto my hand.

Oh.my.gawd.

No I don't need to shake hands a lot. I'm in an administrative support role.
Your boss seems crazy...

Old 05-02-2017, 10:18 AM

102 posts, read 79,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Your boss seems crazy...
I think so.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:24 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
I responded to her letting me know she would be out of the office next week and she asked if I would work later on some days. I responded back "sure " and she said she doesn't like the word because its a word that says "I don't give a crap" ..

Uh what?
"Sure" is very casual. Its not particularly affirmative, and doesn't inspire confidence. Its almost the textual version of shrugging your shoulders.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:20 AM

2,793 posts, read 4,070,465 times
Quote:
Someone else that works in the company on a part time basis walked over to my desk and introduced himself. He kinda snuck up on me and threw his hand out so I shook it.

A few minutes later she walks over and tells me to stand up - she's going to give me a coaching on how to shake someone's hand. She says "make sure you always stand up" and she grabbed my hand and told me my shake was "weak"and pressed hard onto my hand.

Oh.my.gawd.

No I don't need to shake hands a lot. I'm in an administrative support role.
I love your boss!!!

A woman looking out for another woman and trying to shape her into a professional who wants to be respected. Dead fish handshakes definitely don't command respect. It's too bad that you see it as her being crazy.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:29 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I love your boss!!!

A woman looking out for another woman and trying to shape her into a professional who wants to be respected. Dead fish handshakes definitely don't command respect. It's too bad that you see it as her being crazy.
huh? OP..you did nothing wrong responding sure..holy crap. She took it the way she chose to but it was a perfectly appropriate response from you and frankly the fact she read it as sarcastic or not serious is her problem.

Old 05-02-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psichick View Post
I love your boss!!!

Lol 😂😂😂

Old 05-02-2017, 12:36 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times
I'm saying this for the 2nd time today. Millennials

The OP's supervisor seems to have good intentions - it's like she's trying to mentor you.

Let me ask you OP - do you plan on staying in an administrative role? If not, listen to her and keep the emojis to yourself.

Or, look for another job. This forum is full of threads about bosses who don't care about their subordinates.
Maybe a supervisor like that would suit you.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:42 PM

45 posts, read 37,309 times
I wouldn't use it at work.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I'm saying this for the 2nd time today. Millennials

The OP's supervisor seems to have good intentions - it's like she's trying to mentor you.

Let me ask you OP - do you plan on staying in an administrative role? If not, listen to her and keep the emojis to yourself.

Or, look for another job. This forum is full of threads about bosses who don't care about their subordinates.
Maybe a supervisor like that would suit you.
I have been working since I was 16 so please get off your high horse. I have been in this type of role for 12 years. This woman is nuts. I have had a great boss in the past role. This woman is a control freak.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henderson59 View Post
I wouldn't use it at work.
What?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment