Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 11:42 AM

855 posts, read 619,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So the real question here then in light of this definition is was the bosses request nonsense, life and death or was it just the boss wanting to excersize control. MOST things don't require OT or off hours emergency work.
Exactly. As I said, the boss is lucky she got any answer in the affirmative,
especially if the OP wasn't getting paid during that time for being on-call.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:47 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,255,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
Exactly. As I said, the boss is lucky she got any answer in the affirmative,
especially if the OP wasn't getting paid during that time for being on-call.

The OP finally admitted that she was salaried in another thread.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:49 AM

102 posts, read 78,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I believe I said that in this thread. Lol you are hilarious. 😂😂😂

Old 05-09-2017, 11:57 AM

855 posts, read 619,740 times
Quote:
Being salaried doesn't negate having personal time, and it
doesn't presume on-call status after-hours.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
Being salaried doesn't negate having personal time, and it
doesn't presume on-call status after-hours.

When I hear the words 'on call', that brings to mind an hourly employee. Aren't salaried employees paid not according to the hours worked, but the work produced???

Where are you getting on-call from?

And every salaried person here works at all hours of the day and night, including weekends.

I received an email from a department head at 10 pm on a Friday.

Must be night where you work.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:47 PM

Quote:
When I hear the words 'on call', that brings to mind an hourly employee. Aren't salaried employees paid not according to the hours worked, but the work produced???

Where are you getting on-call from?

And every salaried person here works at all hours of the day and night, including weekends.

I received an email from a department head at 10 pm on a Friday.

Must be night where you work.
I'm considered at work during business hours. That's it.. unless asked.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:32 PM

50,191 posts, read 35,879,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
So the real question here then in light of this definition is was the bosses request nonsense, life and death or was it just the boss wanting to excersize control. MOST things don't require OT or off hours emergency work.

Is the OP's boss paying double time for this work? If not then "sure" may have been the appropriate response under the above definition. If the boss wants to fire people because they are not asking how high when she says jump then she may suffer really really high turn around.
She was trying to find out what kind of coverage she could count on when she was out for a week. Op's answer when asked if she could work late any nights was simply "Sure" but told her nothing about what days, only certain days, certain times, etc. So boss wanted an answer with some commitment behind it so she knew if she had enough coverage. Her answer struck boss as hollow and like she wasn't really commiting to it, so that's what she commented on.

My boss texts me that late sometimes, because that's when she's home on her own time making the schedule. Sometimes she need info so she texts. If I didn't answer, if I was sleeping, it's not like I'd get in trouble or anything. OP didn't need to answer right then, but if you're going to, answer in a way that truly answers boss's question.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
I'm considered at work during business hours. That's it.. unless asked.

That's the crux of your problem. You are a salaried employee with an hourly mindset.

Old 05-09-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
That's the crux of your problem. You are a salaried employee with an hourly mindset.
Lol no. 😂😂😂

Old 05-09-2017, 01:56 PM

407 posts, read 367,610 times
Quote:
You do realize that not ALL salaried employees are expected to be available 24/7? There are many employees who do not access their email or receive/send texts/phone calls once they've left work. That doesn't make them a "salaried employee with an hourly mindset."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment