U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-07-2008, 01:10 PM

454 posts, read 936,323 times
Default Unused Vacation When Resigning

I'm currently searching for a new position, and haven't yet left my company, but I still have a few weeks of unused vacation time. Do I just get a check for the amount of unused time when I leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 01:13 PM

19,922 posts, read 7,127,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
I'm currently searching for a new position, and haven't yet left my company, but I still have a few weeks of unused vacation time. Do I just get a check for the amount of unused time when I leave?
It depends on the company. Some companies will pay for unused time that is accrued ... some will pay for that time up to certain limits ... and some with "use it or lose it" policies will pay nothing. Presuming you don't want to actually ask the question so that you don't tip anyone off to your intentions, you can probably check the personnel manual (if you have one) for the answer.

Good luck.

Charley

Old 03-07-2008, 01:35 PM

42,367 posts, read 19,139,973 times
The majority of companies will pay you for the unused vacation time because that is an expense that has already been accrued and posted into the company's operating costs, so they should pay you for it.

Old 03-07-2008, 01:40 PM

8,192 posts, read 18,936,825 times
Read your employee handbook. Many companies will not pay out unused vacation time to someone who is leaving. Some companies that do pay it out require you to request it in writing prior to the last pay period of the year (if that is when they would have paid it to employees who are still there), some will pay it in your final paycheck.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:01 PM

5,972 posts, read 11,857,729 times
If vacation is granted (usually at the beginning of the year), most employers will not commute this when you leave. If vacation is accrued (you earn hours with each pay period) then it usually is paid out when you quit. There will be exceptions and that is something you would have to find out on your own unfortunately. If you are still in touch with someone from the company that had recently left, you may want to contact this person and get information from him/her. This way, you don't feel like you were alerting anyone of an impending move.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:15 PM

79 posts, read 312,816 times
Okay, here is a follow-up question...

Say your company will pay out your unused accrued vacation time...
What is the better option to take:
A) Accept the vacation pay out (which is taxed at a higher rate than your normal pay) or
B) Quit some time after you’ve used your vacation time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment