Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is "management" usually right in personnel decisions?
Yes 20 25.64%
No 36 46.15%
It's above my pay grade! 22 28.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 02:29 PM

1,260 posts, read 2,044,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Why View Post

I had never heard that there were any problems with their performance and all my interactions with that person was fine and I had thought they were doing a good job. But management disagreed.
There were situations like that, and I always thought management was wrong. In fact, a co-worker in a different team got fired. I had plenty of interactions (work related) with that co-worker and her manager as well. I had that co-worker pegged as a hard-working smart lady, and manager as a dumb a$$. So, I was really mad when I found out what happened.

There was another co-worker who drove me nuts: I had to work with him directly and he was terrible at his job. When I found out he was let go (about a year after I myself left), I thought "finally!".

So, my answer to your question is - "it depends".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2017, 03:13 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Like with many other replies, I'm in the "not enough info" camp.

Overall, it goes both ways.
Those who deserved it probably for unsatisfactory performance, or they broke rules in other ways like giving your login info to another person, or circumvented security measures like the company firewall or torrented stuff

Those who didn't deserved it ended up pissing off the wrong people (ie. protected employees family members), and those who had the means got them kicked off the group. Or, management was shortsighted and canned good people anyways.

Old 04-28-2017, 03:53 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonder Why View Post
Looking back over my career I remember coming to work quite often and noticing a coworker was missing. No, he/she was not on vacation, they were gone permanently. They were terminated! FIRED!

I had never heard that there were any problems with their performance and all my interactions with that person was fine and I had thought they were doing a good job. But management disagreed.

The funny thing is my coworkers would love to gossip about the terminated employee for days afterwards. The person who had been a trusted co-worker the day before was now demonized and ridiculed.

How could this be? After much thought and introspection, I figured out that most people assume that "management" knows what they are doing and if they made a decision to terminate someone, it must be the right decision. All our old positive impressions of Bob, our terminated ex-co-worker, were wrong.

Management is always right in personnel decisions- right?
People should be fired for serious misconduct like criminal action at work, stealing, not showing up, or constantly coming in late. Anything that is job related that can harm fellow employees, management and customers should be noted and therefore ground for termination. I have seen people get fired for silly minor stuff. One guy asked for a day off, and the supervisor told him to go home and that was it. Another guy got fired because he needed a letter from management to show to court that he is employed. Management turned the other way and fired him. Another guy got let go for rant he made on social media on his own personal time. Another person was let go for coming to work to early. Another guy was let go because management found that an employee had a very poor credit score, another was canned because he did two weeks for driving while intoxicated. Again all of these incidents happened outside the realm of work, or prior to being hired. That is the reason why its great to take jobs seriously, and one should know that no job is forever. I learned that the hardway myself. To answer your question? Yes management is always right. Except if you have a union, and a good lawyer who is willing to back you up. That's the reason why its good to try to fix your credit, try to pay any outstanding debts or loans. Try to avoid jail terms, and if you are arrested, try to get crime expunged. Google yourself and fix your social media posts and accounts and so on. This stuff will only hurt you if your employer eventually finds out digging through your history and "canned you". To answer your question? Yes management is right in their decision making process. But if the employee is in a union, or has a good lawyer to prove either wise. That good decision can go against the employer. It looks like I'm in the wrong business and I should go back to school to study corporate law.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
Years ago I worked for AT&T in marketing. Many of the offices fired a lot of employees. They fired a guy in my office and he went to work for the competition and became their top salesperson. Eventually all of the management in the organization either quit or were fired.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:57 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
I never assume management is right about such things. There are two sides to every story. Just because someone is in a management position (face it, we've all known people who had no business being a manager) does not mean they are on the just or fair side of the story. I've known far too many managers whose egos and power trips rule their judgment. Of course some employees do need to be let go. But in my 25+ years in the workforce, I reckon many power-tripping managers were unjust in those decisions.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:07 PM

45 posts, read 37,309 times
Well sometimes there's more to it than that. I was fired once due to my supervisors incompetence, but he was also put in a bad situation because he wasn't qualified to teach or guide me. So should I have been fired? In the circumstance I was pit in maybe. But if my company would have had their shot together and put me in a position to succeed, then no. Really anyone with my background and abilities would have been fired or quit in my situation.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:27 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
I put "above my pay grade" because I'm not seeing things from the management's perspective. There could be many things going on that I don't know about. The office gossip might necessarily be true one way or the other.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:31 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,708,204 times
I do not assume anything and I don't participate in gossip about people who no longer work for the business.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:05 PM

283 posts, read 198,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
No.

Look at how many valuable employees who get fired, laid off (when business hits a slump), blackballed, not promoted etc, and look at all the dead weight weasels who accomplish nothing, do nothing, or do nothing right, are still left around year after year after year who should have been 86'd before their first year even ended.

Its pretty OBVIOUS there are agendas, favoritism, unfairness in the corporate workplace. Certain firings could obviously be justified, but I wouldn't bet it was the right decisions every time because of how back ***wards workplace is today
You took the words out of my mouth. 70% of workplace is toxic and hostile especially if you are ethnic or look foreign or old, female, gay.......... . There are ways and means they can get rid of you ............... legally. In short, yes there is always a reason why someone is fired. The reason is they don't like you. Then the scheming starts until the victim is gone. The human race is shameful.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:09 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
In the 35 yrs of being in the workforce. Only 3 firings come to mind that were in the best interest of the company and its policy.
Otherwise management and it's owners took a Dart at the company picture...And who ever it landed on..Got fired. We all got to the PT of being sick on the day of the photo shoot..Saved us from being fired
Being a good employee and following the tasks to a tee doesn't prevent firing...They have a list of excuses...Ohh it's our budget,time to fire! Nothing personal mind you. Or, we reviewed your position and decided it's no longer needed. Then six months later their inept relative is in the very job you were told was being removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment