Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is "management" usually right in personnel decisions?
Yes 20 25.64%
No 36 46.15%
It's above my pay grade! 22 28.21%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2017, 07:19 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times

Advertisements

Hmmm. A lot of time, I think it's a correct call. In our job - we see each other's work fairly regularly. You can easily see when someone is struggling.

Sometimes, I have NO idea why someone was fired and I try not to speculate.

There are a few times when it was obvious that a decent employee was being targeted by a poor manager.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 03:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,642,228 times
I'd like to believe that management had a good reason. If anyone believes it's unfair, that management knew something about the person that regular employees didn't. This is only assuming that there are decent people out there.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:08 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Most of the hourly, non-management staff that I've had to let go over the years has been for simple policy violations--generally attendance.
Most of the "good" employees that got canned were gone due to some sort of falsification of hours or expense reimbursement.
Needless to say, I am very careful to never do that.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:39 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
There are a few times when it was obvious that a decent employee was being targeted by a poor manager.
This is my current situation and has been happening since I accepted the wretched job. I am POSITIVE the targeting manager has a past and has been moved around because they are a serial offender. They better hope I never find out about the priors.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:46 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Depends on the circumstances, sometimes management is correct, sometimes not.
This
I don't give it much thought as I find life's easier when I mind my own business.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:14 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
When I worked in retail in college, the people who got fired deserved to be fired. Bottom line. I was almost fired, and even deserved to be fired at that time, but the same manager who threatened to fire me was also the most active and instrumental in saving my job. It was actually demonstrated competence and having a positive attitude through the whole ordeal that saved me. That manager and I are on good terms, even Facebook friends, today.

Now that I've wondered my way into the professional world, starting in 2009, most of the firings I've seen have been because of subordinates' clashes with office politics and management styles, and not because of said subordinates' attitudes or underperformance. Enough that I'd say that most firing I've seen in the professional world have been subjectivity-driven and incredibly unfair, including a close colleague's firing I witnessed three weeks ago that shocked not only me, but the entire company.

Old 06-15-2017, 09:55 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
The handful of co-workers who've gotten fired from my current place of work and/or places I've worked at before, basically brought it upon themselves. They either went too far in their effort to test the limits of company policies, or they outright broke policy.

Thirty plus years ago, prior to entering my existing line of work, I worked as in-house security at a very nice upscale Japanese hotel in downtown Los Angeles. One morning around 3am, I saw one of the housekeeping staff stumble across the main lobby stone cold drunk out of his skull. Worse yet, the dude was carrying a large frozen ham which he stole from the reefers. After stopping him and allowing him to sober up in my office, I placed him on report. He was terminated that same week. I felt no joy in doing this but, this was an egregious breech of policy and common sense.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:22 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,276,554 times
You can get away with quite a bit where I work, so I assume if someone got fired by me they did deserve it. With that said, minorities and women get more chances than a Caucasian male, especially when it comes to things like abusing FMLA, calling in too many times, etc.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:25 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,797,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
You can get away with quite a bit where I work, so I assume if someone got fired by me they did deserve it. With that said, minorities and women get more chances than a Caucasian male, especially when it comes to things like abusing FMLA, calling in too many times, etc.
/thread

Old 06-16-2017, 06:27 AM

285 posts, read 224,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
When I worked in retail in college, the people who got fired deserved to be fired. Bottom line. I was almost fired, and even deserved to be fired at that time, but the same manager who threatened to fire me was also the most active and instrumental in saving my job. It was actually demonstrated competence and having a positive attitude through the whole ordeal that saved me. That manager and I are on good terms, even Facebook friends, today.

Now that I've wondered my way into the professional world, starting in 2009, most of the firings I've seen have been because of subordinates' clashes with office politics and management styles, and not because of said subordinates' attitudes or underperformance. Enough that I'd say that most firing I've seen in the professional world have been subjectivity-driven and incredibly unfair, including a close colleague's firing I witnessed three weeks ago that shocked not only me, but the entire company.
The hard truth is that most firings boil down to someone in the power structure personally not liking a subordinate. If you know you did a good job and you still get canned, realize there's nothing wrong with you, some bosses are just ****ty, and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment