Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 08:52 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times

Advertisements

There's really nothing fake about it, other than what you make of it. Given a two-week notice is showing respect to the employer who trusted you enough to hire you. It also tells future employers that you're a good employee won't leave without giving them proper notice if they hire you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2017, 08:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
You think that's bad?
We have to give 120 days notice.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:51 AM

23,511 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Pretty common practice in my industry. It depends on where your next position is. If you are going to a competitor, you are "shown the door" that day. If not, you stay for the period of your notice, until you leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
I've seen individuals who handed in their 2 week notice and upper management found out they were going to the competitor and they thrown to the curb that day.

Old 04-30-2017, 09:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisee1203 View Post
You apparently have never worked in a small office where people notice your every move, along with reviewing the cards to make sure everyone signed.
It's not about the card. It's about feeling empowered to make your own decisions. We shouldn't feel forced to do anything we don't want to do. Our actions have consequences. What would be so awful if people knew you didn't sign the card.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:16 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Basically, I met with my boss on Friday and said I was moving to another city for another job opportunity. There are things in this job that I dislike, which I discussed in my last review, and which I'd rather not bring up again, mostly because I have already mentally made up my mind to look ahead and move on. Of course, boss wants to bring up the past, and then he insists that I "break the news" personally to all the lower level supervisors. If I tell one, then I feel obligated to tell all the whole office. One lady, who I don't even know that well, cried when I told her. By the end of the end, I was emotionally drained from having this intimate awkward talk with so many work acquaintances that after I am gone will never hear from or think about again. Now I hear they want to organize a goodbye lunch. Frankly, I am truly touched, but it is very awkward how people you hardly know now want to be your best friend and how awkward it is to now be around your soon to be former boss. I am sort of an introvert by nature, so I dislike this kind of thing very much. I was praying that they would just release me early, but no they insist I will need a full 2 weeks to finish all the work and how they can't wait for the lunch. Tomorrow is Monday again and I am dreading it.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:47 AM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I've never had that experience. Employers have always been grateful for notice, and I've always helped train my replacements so they wouldn't be left high and dry. Even when I was happy to be leaving, it felt good to go on good terms, and I've never had any issues with references.
^^^ Completely agree.

I think the 2 week notice makes sense. It can be tough for an employer to have you one day and simply not the next. You have ongoing responsibilities and projects, so the notice gives you a chance to wrap these up or transition, etc. I've always given notice, it has always been appreciated. I left on good terms everywhere. I have certainly heard of employers buying out someone's last two weeks, and I get that makes sense in some circumstances. But I have likewise felt grateful that my employers understood that I am a professional and I wantto do well by them, even when I am moving on. I want to leave with the employer being able to pick up where I left off, with good references, etc. I've never found it awkward, and certainly never pranced around.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:15 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Businesses still keep people around for 2 weeks after giving notice?

Bad idea. We pay them that day for the 2 weeks and tell them to leave. That way we know our computers won't be messed with or our data base stolen. Never mind the bad mouthing from immature employees that can taint the group.
I think your perspective might be more of the norm, but I work in scientific research (HIV, cancer, evolutionary biology) in academia, and have always given a minimum of 1 month's notice before I left, one time I actually gave 3 months notice, because I wanted my PI (Principal Investigator) to hire my replacement so I could train them and I'm just a lowly lab grunt (rat). Every time I did decide to move on, my boss begged me to stay up until my last day, I guess every job/work place is different.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:27 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
You have to prance around the office and pretend how much you will miss the place and all the people.
I've seen people who put in their 2 weeks notice wrap up stuff before they go...
--Transitioning their work to others who will take it over, permanently or in the interim until another person hired will cover that role
--Create, finish up, or polish documentation
--finish up their current set of tasks so they have a deliverable in time

Some folks have managed to finish this early, so they get a case of senioritis, but for the most part, good work is still wrapped up. The rest of the time is just going away lunches, dinners, drinking, or otherwise saying goodbyes and wishing those who were close well off.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:28 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Wait a minute!

Are we talking about the flick with Bullock and Grant?

If so, recognize we are talking about something meant for entertainment, so tongue in cheek is permitted.

If not, carry on.

As a fan of Bullock movies, this is in the collection and one I saw with Mom at some strip theater out on FAR east Westheimer in Houston.

Old 04-30-2017, 02:58 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It's not about the card. It's about feeling empowered to make your own decisions. We shouldn't feel forced to do anything we don't want to do. Our actions have consequences. What would be so awful if people knew you didn't sign the card.
I have signed the card but definitely not putting any money inside of it. No one is going to force me to take money out of my wallet at any job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment