Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 08:05 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker11356 View Post
No kidding. That'd be almost the equivalent of a death sentence for me. I'd feel like I'd be wasting my life.

I could never do that for the rest of my life, and not sure how others do it.

Would I do it temporarily? Perhaps, but I'd be looking to change that sort of situation ASAP.
It's tough, since there are so few jobs on Long Island. I do know that if I lose this job, my only choices would be to commute to the city or to relocate away from my family. Not sure which would be worse, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 08:45 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
A big problem these days, , if you don't show the desire to move up every few years, the employers will just look at you as content and lazy and eventually find a way to get rid of you. Even if you are content where you are. It's the "up or out" corporate mentality.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:04 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,800,032 times
I am ambitious not as much as I really love what I do. It is engaging, challenging, entertaining and never boring. I'm at a place now where I am very satisfied with my level and salary. But, while it gets harder as you climb, there is also an aspect that gets easier. So who knows what the future will bring?

Old 05-07-2017, 10:59 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,092 times
What drives someone to be career ambitious?

I think for most very ambitious people it is about money, title and power, not exactly in that order.

For me I know I can't be a vice president, CEO, top leader in my corporate because I don't have ability to be such and I know when you want something you would have to pay a price for it. I don't think I can take the stress and to have reward for so high position and much money.

I am happy with being above average; and I know what it is. I don't want to be on the top top top. I do set goal to do my job well at work. But it's very important for me to have work life balance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment