Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:43 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,423 times

Advertisements

I saw this while working at a car dealership for a little over 3 years. Management played favorites hardcore, if you weren't in the "A Team" you were treated like crap and the manager wouldn't give you the time of day. And I saw my coworkers complaining about how good the "golden boy" in the shop got treated, instead of holding management responsible for it. They were too concerned with petty jealousy that they didn't think to stand up to management to try and change things, or show them that that behavior is unacceptable and refusing to work for a company like that.

I think pretty much every company is trying to do this. They want to keep all the employees squabbling amongst themselves so they are too busy to see how badly the employer is screwing them over and running off with all the money, while at the same time keeping working conditions deplorable, wages lower, less benefits, and less management/owner accountability to the workers. There should be labor unions in every job, so that the workers have more clout to stand up to their employer and demand better working conditions and pay/benefits without just being dismissed with "If you don't like it here, go work somewhere else." And if they refuse to change their practices, they should be forced out of business through denial of service (if people refuse to work there, they will either have to change or go out of business).

What do you guys think? I say we need to take power away from the companies and put it in the hands of the workers, after all they wouldn't have anything if it wasn't for the worker bees doing all the real work, while they sit in there offices drinking scotch and trying to decide what else to penny pinch from the budget to make their bonuses larger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 11:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
You can prove your point, instead of complaining about unfair companies and bosses. Simply start your own business. You can give your employers everything they want like high pay, plenty of paid vacation, medical plans, 401K, comfortable furniture, long breaks and free food. Maybe a hot tub to relax in at lunch or after work. Then report back on how much money you are making.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You can prove your point, instead of complaining about unfair companies and bosses. Simply start your own business. You can give your employers everything they want like high pay, plenty of paid vacation, medical plans, 401K, comfortable furniture, long breaks and free food. Maybe a hot tub to relax in at lunch or after work. Then report back on how much money you are making.

So people shouldn't try to change unfair workplaces? Their only recourse should be "if you don't like it, go start your own business"? Why is there this idea that we can't call people out for their unjust practices and hold them accountable? Why are people so quick to defend a companies right to treat people unfairly, while disparaging anyone who tries to stand up against it?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:04 PM

1,585 posts, read 1,931,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
I saw this while working at a car dealership for a little over 3 years. Management played favorites hardcore, if you weren't in the "A Team" you were treated like crap and the manager wouldn't give you the time of day. And I saw my coworkers complaining about how good the "golden boy" in the shop got treated, instead of holding management responsible for it. They were too concerned with petty jealousy that they didn't think to stand up to management to try and change things, or show them that that behavior is unacceptable and refusing to work for a company like that.

I think pretty much every company is trying to do this. They want to keep all the employees squabbling amongst themselves so they are too busy to see how badly the employer is screwing them over and running off with all the money, while at the same time keeping working conditions deplorable, wages lower, less benefits, and less management/owner accountability to the workers. There should be labor unions in every job, so that the workers have more clout to stand up to their employer and demand better working conditions and pay/benefits without just being dismissed with "If you don't like it here, go work somewhere else." And if they refuse to change their practices, they should be forced out of business through denial of service (if people refuse to work there, they will either have to change or go out of business).

What do you guys think? I say we need to take power away from the companies and put it in the hands of the workers, after all they wouldn't have anything if it wasn't for the worker bees doing all the real work, while they sit in there offices drinking scotch and trying to decide what else to penny pinch from the budget to make their bonuses larger.
Did you get fired today? They finally had enough.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Did you get fired today? They finally had enough.
I'm not sure if you're seriously discussing this or just trolling me, but I'll answer as if you are serious. No, I didn't get fired today, I quit my job because I was tired of getting treated like a second class citizen because I wasn't part of the "good ol' boys club" and I don't have to put up with that. I refuse to work for a company that treats its workers that way.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:21 PM

Perhaps you should morph all your complaints into one post, seriously you can't see the problem here?...How many threads is this for you today about this topic...3,4? If this was the same attitude you carried with you at work, the problem was you....you can spin it anyway you want, make all the excuses you want about society, workers rights, etc...but the problem was you.

As I said before, for your family's sake, I hope you mature.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you should morph all your complaints into one post, seriously you can't see the problem here?...How many threads is this for you today about this topic...3,4? If this was the same attitude you carried with you at work, the problem was you....you can spin it anyway you want, make all the excuses you want about society, workers rights, etc...but the problem was you.

As I said before, for your family's sake, I hope you mature.
Please explain to me how "this is all my fault". Am I the only one in the world who can do wrong? Nobody else ever makes a mistake, it's just all my fault right? And I have no right to speak up about it because "it's your fault anyway". You don't see favoritism as a problem in the workplace? You don't see free reign authority as a problem in the workplace? Nope, all you see is "It's always the workers fault, they need to quit having temper tantrums and just suck it up and deal with it". People like you are the reason companies can get away with murder without so much as an unkind word, because people like you will defend them to the end.

Also, all the threads I've posted today have been on different topics. Sure, they all have to do with work and employment, but they are all based on a different thought/talking point. I think this is merely another way you're trying to casually dismiss me.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Please explain to me how "this is all my fault". Am I the only one in the world who can do wrong? Nobody else ever makes a mistake, it's just all my fault right? And I have no right to speak up about it because "it's your fault anyway". You don't see favoritism as a problem in the workplace? You don't see free reign authority as a problem in the workplace? Nope, all you see is "It's always the workers fault, they need to quit having temper tantrums and just suck it up and deal with it". People like you are the reason companies can get away with murder without so much as an unkind word, because people like you will defend them to the end.

Also, all the threads I've posted today have been on different topics. Sure, they all have to do with work and employment, but they are all based on a different thought/talking point. I think this is merely another way you're trying to casually dismiss me.
From your many post it is easy to discern, your attitude is terrible...it is not they don't want to listen to workers, they don't want to listen to you. In an effort to make yourself feel better, you have generalized your personal experiences to all workers. Their dismissal of your thoughts and ideas are solely based on the past dealing with you, not with workers, with you.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
From your many post it is easy to discern, your attitude is terrible...it is not they don't want to listen to workers, they don't want to listen to you. In an effort to make yourself feel better, you have generalized your personal experiences to all workers. Their dismissal of your thoughts and ideas are solely based on the past dealing with you, not with workers, with you.
Explain to me what you think my attitude is and why it is so terrible please? And what reason have I given you to think my thoughts and ideas were worth dismissing and not listening to according to my ex-employer? I chalk it up to favoritism, personally. There were 4 other techs there besides me, and one, as I said, was the shop "golden boy" who was best friends with the manager and was given all the "gravy" jobs.

After about a year of working there our old tire machine starting messing up and wouldn't work right half the time. The rim wouldn't stay clamped to the turntable and it would lift up while you were spinning it and gouge the crap out of the rims. All of us other 3 techs told management about it countless times, but we were never taken seriously and were basically told to "make it work". Then one day the "golden boy" was doing a lift kit on a Jeep and had to mount and balance 4 tires (he hardly ever had to do tires). But by god when he went to the manager and complained about it, within a day or so, a new tire machine was ordered and on the way. It wasn't that they didn't listen to complains, it just had to come from the right person in order to be taken seriously. I'm not saying all work places are like that, in that place favoritism was rampant and you weren't given the time of day unless you were in the "good ol' boys" club.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Explain to me what you think my attitude is and why it is so terrible please? And what reason have I given you to think my thoughts and ideas were worth dismissing and not listening to according to my ex-employer? I chalk it up to favoritism, personally. There were 4 other techs there besides me, and one, as I said, was the shop "golden boy" who was best friends with the manager and was given all the "gravy" jobs.

After about a year of working there our old tire machine starting messing up and wouldn't work right half the time. The rim wouldn't stay clamped to the turntable and it would lift up while you were spinning it and gouge the crap out of the rims. All of us other 3 techs told management about it countless times, but we were never taken seriously and were basically told to "make it work". Then one day the "golden boy" was doing a lift kit on a Jeep and had to mount and balance 4 tires (he hardly ever had to do tires). But by god when he went to the manager and complained about it, within a day or so, a new tire machine was ordered and on the way. It wasn't that they didn't listen to complains, it just had to come from the right person in order to be taken seriously. I'm not saying all work places are like that, in that place favoritism was rampant and you weren't given the time of day unless you were in the "good ol' boys" club.
Perhaps he is the "Golden Boy," because he simply does his job and most likely better than others. He does not complain about managers, customers, gloves (you had a list, in one of your many posts of things you have complained about.) So when he brought something to their attention they took notice because they respect him. When you demand to be heard out on trivial matters, people stop caring about everything you say. You wasted so much of their time, they simply don't want to hear from you, all they wanted was for you to do the job you were hired for, and complaining got in the way...again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment