Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 06:17 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichsammich View Post
And the reason for this is because for the baby boomer generation this is how it worked. My mother said to me on SO MANY occasions when I was stressed over what to major in "It doesn't matter what you major in, employers just want to see that you have a degree."

She wasn't trying to steer me wrong or give bad advice, this had been true for her. She had an art degree and was able to go into teaching and later a more technical field and make a good living. That's not possible in today's labor market.
That does not mean your mom was correct. No... a "recreation" degree is not the same as an engineering or accounting degree.

I was a baby boomer also, and my parents directed me to a "business degree" (prefarably accounting/finance) because that is "where the jobs are". This was the booming 80's and they were right. I did paid internships in college and had several job offers at top corporations before graduating. Pretty much same for my peers, as we all went to a top state university, and all had jobs before graduating, thanks to ON CAMPUS recruiting center setting up first interviews at many companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 07:00 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
[/b]

Are you serious? Do you have any idea what America is all about? How we got our start? Have you read the Constitution?

The things you want to fight for are in direct competition for what America stands for. My goodness.
Not really. Jefferson was worried about corporations getting too powerful and basically "owning' politicians. Also, you must realize that by the corporations and government making us all poor, we all end up dependent on DC, which is what DC wants, which is what the Founders fought against Britain to end said dependency.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:01 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,586,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Aha, now I understand. But, can you tell me where it says in our Constitution that any American has a right to a job?
Can you tell me where it says in our Constitution that companies have a right to get Congress to keep getting them cheap labor foreign workers?

Old 05-12-2017, 07:03 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
For those millennial graduates that think it was so different in the baby boomer years- it really wasn't.

I commuted from parents home to get my degree. My best friend went away to college. I worked 20 hrs per week (by choice not necessity) the entire 3.5 years I was in school. Yes, I graduated early, with a BBA.

My first part time job as a college freshman was minimum wage in a factory type setting. Next job was an upgrade to retail. Had a bunch of office jobs until I got last part time job as a bookkeeper in an insurance agency. Had that job for just under 2 years, then graduated. First full time post graduate job was as a programmer for a major computer manufacturer.

Back to best friend. She partied and had a grand time for 4 years. Got a degree in Communications. Her first job- insurance sales, followed by insurance adjuster. She was very unhappy, returned to school and got a Masters in Psychology. Part time jobs, low paying jobs, always a struggle.

I went back to school for my Masters in Business, went into sales and eventually started my own company which I worked at for 25 years before until I finally retired.

Your choices in college do affect the rest of your life. Chose wisely.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
well into 6 figures with my salary and a "useless" degree. My career has nothing to do with my "useless" liberal arts degree, except that I learned critical thinking; which I use often. My most recent "entry level" hire also had a "useless degree" - I started her at 70k. No McJobs or poverty here.......although I certainly earned my stripes at the McJobs in grade school, high school and college.
You're generally 12 by the time you leave grade school and most states don't allow anyone under 14 to hold a job. How long did it take you to get out of grade school so you could get a McJob?

Old 05-12-2017, 07:22 PM

745 posts, read 479,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
60K isn't asking for too much in a high cost of living area for someone with a college degree. Not when these companies are making billions.

Executives make millions (regardless if they produce or not). Why is 60k for a new college graduate such a big deal?
Except, the number of applicants that have college degrees these days is HUGE. Therefore, the companies do not have to offer top dollar for a college grad. Having a bachelors degree these days means nothing.

Yes, Execs make a lot and it will not change in our lifetime. The best thing for people to do is understand the current reality and learn how to work within that system.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 PM

745 posts, read 479,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Not all millenials are lazy.

Not all millenials felt entitled.

Many of us 'millenials' you're bashing wanted to be given a chance. But what did we encounter? Ridiculous application requirements. Unwilling employers who won't even meet halfway and instead are asking for the perfect purple squirrel.

If you want to sit there and tell me this kind of idiocy is normal, then okay then. Because I can assure you that I'm a millenial who shows up to work on time, willing to learn and work hard and yet it took me a good while before I got a foot in the door.

Millenial bashing is getting old.
I hear ya. Don't take too much of what you read here too personally. I'm a boomer and I/we understand the frustration of getting a job. Some of these folk commenting with the holier than thou responses probably had a hard time of it in their day also.

I work with millennials and many are just fine. I've worked with enough boomers over the years that I considered oxygen thieves.

The facts of the hiring situation these days is, due to the global economy and the internet, companies can do their hiring from almost anywhere.

My advice to a millennial these days is to find something that will be around in the US for a long time and that you don't mind doing.

I'm glad I am near the end of my working career.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:40 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
ive got two nieces that graduated last year as nurses and a son that graduated as a pharmacist,,,,all landed very good jobs,,

they got there whole lives ahead of them and they can make any choices they want..

my son said the dope smokers and un-motivated went for the easy liberal arts degrees..

Old 05-12-2017, 07:56 PM

1,637 posts, read 1,345,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
I hear ya. Don't take too much of what you read here too personally. I'm a boomer and I/we understand the frustration of getting a job. Some of these folk commenting with the holier than thou responses probably had a hard time of it in their day also.

I work with millennials and many are just fine. I've worked with enough boomers over the years that I considered oxygen thieves.

The facts of the hiring situation these days is, due to the global economy and the internet, companies can do their hiring from almost anywhere.

My advice to a millennial these days is to find something that will be around in the US for a long time and that you don't mind doing.

I'm glad I am near the end of my working career.
Technology will always be around and people will always get sick
I always recommend healthcare or IT if you want a job.

Customer services jobs in IT are always fun it's easy get paid a decent wage doing the bare minimum

Old 05-12-2017, 08:06 PM

99 posts, read 68,343 times
If attractive marry some simp and get him to pay for the college debt. Easy peasey. If your not so attractive, still marry some simp who makes less money and get him to pay for the college debt. If unattractive, either try to find a government job or a corp position that has to meet quotas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment