Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 02:19 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,068,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Tell us how you profit from uncertainty. All I do is invest and save and keep debt to a minimum (outside of mortgage payment). I basically live my entire life as if I'm saving for a rainy day. Yay!!!

Basically you're telling people to find the magic unicorn. The world is extremely uncertain...profit from it!

HOW?!?! How do you even plan when you don't know what three years from now looks like? I sure as heck can't do it, and I'm not convinced you can do it.

So here's your chance. How do you do it? Tell us.
Circular logic argument.

Look up value investing, and that will tell you most if not all of how I profit from uncertainty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 02:24 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
Circular logic argument.

Look up value investing, and that will tell you most if not all of how I profit from uncertainty.
Quote:
BREAKING DOWN 'Value Investing'
Undervalued stocks come about through investor irrationality. Typically, value investors seek to profit off this irrationality by selecting stocks with lower-than-average price-to-book ratios, lower-than-average price-to-earnings ratios and/or higher dividend yields. These numbers are compared to a company's intrinsic value, after which, a value investor invests if the comparative value is high enough.

However, there is an issue with value investing in that estimating the intrinsic value of a stock is difficult. Two investors can be given the exact same information and place a different value on a company. For this reason, another central concept of value investing is that of "margin of safety." Value investors need to buy an equity at a big enough discount to allow some room for error in the estimation of value.

Additionally, value investing is subjective. Some value investors only look at present assets and earnings and do not place any value on future growth. Other value investors base their strategies completely around the estimation of future growth and cash flows. Despite the different methodologies, the underlying logic is a value investor should buy something for less than he thinks it is currently worth.
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/v/valueinvesting.asp

Why don't you provide an example of something you recently invested in for us?

Furthermore, investing in anything assumes you have any extra money to do so effectively.

Your introduction of value investing says nothing about the uncertainty of planning out your life.

In the grand scheme of things, with how rapidly technology changes these days, people essentially have to be at it 24/7 in terms of developing their skills and planning for the next economic collapse or losing their job or becoming obsolete or what have you. There is no more "down time". Life is work, work is life.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:04 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
What school did you go to where professors were lecturing on how to create a resume? All of the knowledge I've ever acquired is from the Internet, professional mentors, or recruiters.
FYI there is more than one way a student can communicate with professors ad counselors. Not all involve with lectures.

Anyway, please ignore me. I only hire engineers, ao what do I know?

Old 02-28-2018, 04:10 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
FYI there is more than one way a student can communicate with professors ad counselors. Not all involve with lectures.

Anyway, please ignore me. I only hire engineers, ao what do I know?
I didn't mean to be presumptuous. I just never thought to talk to my professors about resume help.

Old 03-01-2018, 09:28 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,113,787 times
Quote:
I didn't mean to be presumptuous. I just never thought to talk to my professors about resume help.
Some people do. Not just professors. Career centers at colleges tell students to do do the same thing as well. Put their jobs at Walmart and McDonald's on top while putting their achievements, projects, etc. at the very bottom. Year after year I see this very same pattern.

Here is another thing that colleges do a disservice to students. See, in the real world we want to avoid any chance of misunderstanding by eliminating vagueness. For instance, suppose an engineer needs to submit a proposal for a change in the plans for whatever reason. He needs to draw out the proposal and put as much detail in it as possible. But college classes teach students to put the absolute minimum info in their drafts.

For example, suppose we have a wall that has 3 parts with different lengths A, B, and C. We know the total length. In the real world, we want to see all 3 lengths labeled as well as the total length. There is nothing wrong with redundant info. But college drafting classes would actually deduct points if all 3 lengths and the total length are labeled.

Why do we as professionals want too much info? Because fraudsters often use vagueness as a way to get away with defrauding clients.

Same with report writing. I don't want to see an English paper written in post modern style. I want to see precise, plain English sentences. Over the years, I've found that people who try to hide something tend to write very poetic post modern mumble jumble to try to get away with it.

This is why when we get new recruits from colleges we have to de-teach them a lot of bad habits they picked up from school.

Added by edit.

Here is a quote from Enron CEO Jeffrey Skilling to investors a few days before the collapse of the company.

Quote:
We have robust networks of strategic assets that we own or have contractual access to, which give us greater flexibility and speed to reliably deliver widespread logistical solutions... We have metamorphosed from an asset-based pipeline and power generating company to a marketing and logistics company whose biggest assets are its well-established business approach and its innovative people.
https://visible.vc/blog/investor-letter-enron-ask-why/

See how fraudsters write in very pretty poetic versus that really don't amount to much? This is the kind of language we always see our newly college grad recruits use. We have to tell them to stop writing like that. Be precise. Be clear. Our job is to write clear and precise reports, not audition to be the next Shakespeare.

Last edited by MetroWord; 03-01-2018 at 09:52 AM..

Old 03-01-2018, 09:40 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
This is the way I look at the professors.

Many professors have hardly worked outside of academia for their entire adult lives. They may be very well versed on what's going on in their field, but they can't really help with how that applies to the private sector. At best, they have secondhand information from people who are making those decisions in the private sector.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:53 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,538,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is the way I look at the professors.

Many professors have hardly worked outside of academia for their entire adult lives. They may be very well versed on what's going on in their field, but they can't really help with how that applies to the private sector. At best, they have secondhand information from people who are making those decisions in the private sector.
Going to point it out but... their students who have zero experience in the field don't even have second or third hand information. At best they have Google search for it...

A professor and the students he taught as an extended resource is still miles ahead of no experience at all

Old 03-01-2018, 04:51 PM

251 posts, read 204,044 times
Quote:
I personally think the key is not to sit at the top of your pay scale too long. If you've topped out in your position, you need to look for another role where you're either at the lower end or midpoint of the pay scale. In my experience, it's almost always those who are sitting at the high end of their position's pay scale that get chopped when it's that time.
An employer with common sense (RARE) will then bump up your responsibilities accordingly to the low tier of the next level or simply expand the scope of your role to align with your higher compensation. It's not rocket science, but they make it seem like it is.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:27 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Still better than nothing. You can apply for fast food and retail manager jobs.
Actually, its probably worse than nothing. There are useless degrees - Art History, for example - but they're still perceived as real degrees. "Women's Studies" is a made-up, bull crap degree. As an employer, I wouldn't hire someone to clean toilets whose judgement is so poor as to waste time/money on such a degree.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:37 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,339,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexy633 View Post
Oh, brother. Some of the comments here are amazing. So, if you are a Retail Manager, you are a loser? Do you know how much money some of these grocery store managers make? Then, they work their way up to District Manager or Regional Manager and the pay is outstanding. For example, Aldi's pays damn good money and I don't even know if they need a degree if they start off as a cashier and work their way up.

I remember when I was 16 and my dad told me to become a bagger at one of the major grocery chains in our area. He said, "You can still go to school and get a degree, but do this because you can work your way up there when you are young and who knows where it can lead." Unfortunately, I didn't listen to him. Wish I had.

And to those saying the gal with a women's study degree will be working at Starbucks or as an admin assistant. Do you folks realize how much some of these people can make? Starbucks is really an excellent company in which to work from what I understand. Executive Administrative Assistants can make damn good money depending on what company and for whom they work. Ya think the EA to the CEO at Boeing is making chump change? She's probably making more than some of you who have Master's degrees and act like elitists!
The irony of this post is breathtaking. The fact that you think $89K (average salary for an Aldi's District Manager) is "outstanding" simply demonstrates how out of touch with reality your are. $89K is 3rd year software engineer pay. It's not "damn good money" by any metric. Store managers average $63K.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/ALD...ries-E7337.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment