Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 09:06 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I'm gonna help you Amber. With that attitude you will end up unemployed soon. People do not want to work with someone like you. When the cuts come and they always do, people who are difficult are higher up the list. That's the real. [Snip.]
Pure nonsense trying to put a Karma hex on the OP.

The OP has the right attitude because of good self-esteem and doesn't undervalue themselves like the little trained minions who scurry around the office afraid of their own shadow. "Oh, Lordy, Lordy, I might be fired. Best to hurry out to the woodshed so the boss can give me my medicine."

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-10-2017 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-09-2017, 09:14 PM

908 posts, read 961,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
I'd just offer to stop the clock and count their lunch as an assignment. Of course it's not part of the lunch hour. Unless they are looking for legal trouble. In that case, time to apply for other jobs if they are trying to skirt employment law and break time allotment. iF you don't like the job, leave, or be a team player. Worst thing is to stick there and everyone is unhappy.
I think this is the best answer. I would take another 10-15 minutes while I'm out to get their lunch. I would def not try to do everything during my own lunch hour.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:39 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
I can't believe so many people here are so harsh toward AmberEllie.

This is 2017, not 1960. I believe many of you have watched the series Mad Men.

For goodness sake, everyone. Try to put yourself in the position of those receptionists or secretaries. At this day and age, would you like or feel happy that everyday when you see your boss, managers arriving and you have to stand up and say Good Morning or Good Afternoon to Misters so and so and take their hat and coat and put them away? And how do you feel if you always have to go out to buy coffee, lunch, personal gifts for their friends, families, relatives, whoever? You are a receptionist, secretary, assistant, you are there to help them with things relating to business, and/or ordering food for meetings, not for being like a busboy/girl or servant.

What's wrong with Jack and Jill? Are they crippled that they cannot go out to buy their own lunch? I don't think they are too busy to the point that they cannot take a break. They are in the management, they are supposed to know how to organize their day, manage their time and they can take a break whenever they want. They can go out at any time. I'm sure about that.

And what is this "she" person? Is she in the same position as AmberEllie? What right does she have to tell AmberEllie to make sure to offer to get lunch for Jack and Jill each time when she goes out? And what about if Jack and Jill did not ask AmberEllie to buy lunch for them and gave her money first, and Amber Ellie offered to buy lunch, so Jack and Jill would say okay and just ignored about giving money. It happened a lot in many places. I know that. Many people in the management can get used to the subordinates have to buy them things. And there are some office girls think they can buy things for their boss or managers and bribe them, and they can get favors. That's wrong.

Reading this reminds me about the movie Devil Wears Prada. In many offices, there are some office girls who have been working there longer tend to bully the new ones. It happens a lot like in the two movies mentioned above and real life.

I used to read Ann Landers's columns in newspapers many years ago. One time, this lady wrote to Ann Landers telling her that she had been treating everybody nicely all the times; but eventually, she felt like she was taken advantage of. She was very tired. She did not know what to do. Ann Landers told her "Nobody can take advantage of you without your permission. When you are willing to be a doormat, somebody will step on you." I remember this forever.

To AmberEllie, if you know you have strength and ability to assist the management well in a business manner, find a job somewhere else and learn to stand your ground. Don't be a doormat. At work, do the jobs relating to work/business. Take your breaks and lunch times as everybody else. When you want to go out, send an email the minute before you are leaving and go. Be professional, kind and helpful to others; but not to the point bending backward.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 05-09-2017 at 11:50 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberEllie View Post
I'm not opposed to it while I'm working.
I'm beginning to question whether you are properly categorized as salaried and not hourly. Do you have specific required hours to come and go? If "quitting time" is five o'clock are you always out at five or sometimes before or after? Do you have a designated time to have lunch and is it always the same time and duration?

Old 05-10-2017, 05:06 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Getting lunch for people on my personal time is not in my job description.
This kind of attitude is exactly the reason why you don't get chosen for an promotion or when a higher position opens up.

It says no where on my job description to get lunch for people. Yet, I offer it anyway, even to my secretary. It's more than just doing a job. It's common office courtesy.

Last time I was hungry in the morning I went out to get bagels and cream cheese for everyone in the office. It is not uncommon to find a box of donuts in the office in the morning.

Last week, I invited everyone out to lunch. Told them to just stack into my SUV.

It's more than doing what you are suppose to. It is showing your coworkers you care about their well being and that you see this as more than just work.

Old 05-10-2017, 05:23 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
This kind of attitude is exactly the reason why you don't get chosen for an promotion or when a higher position opens up.

It says no where on my job description to get lunch for people. Yet, I offer it anyway, even to my secretary. It's more than just doing a job. It's common office courtesy.

Last time I was hungry in the morning I went out to get bagels and cream cheese for everyone in the office. It is not uncommon to find a box of donuts in the office in the morning.

Last week, I invited everyone out to lunch. Told them to just stack into my SUV.

It's more than doing what you are suppose to. It is showing your coworkers you care about their well being and that you see this as more than just work.
This is a choice. The OP is being mandated to incorporate another task into the non paid hour.

I worked admin.from picking up company cars at service stations to shuttling staff to airports. All was compensated.

Some lunch breaks were for dental appointment or eye care...So attending to staff nourishment may not be suitable.

It's cringe worthy that " and anything else" is listed on admins criteria. Talk about a blank slate..

Old 05-10-2017, 06:56 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
This is a choice. The OP is being mandated to incorporate another task into the non paid hour.

I worked admin.from picking up company cars at service stations to shuttling staff to airports. All was compensated.

Some lunch breaks were for dental appointment or eye care...So attending to staff nourishment may not be suitable.

It's cringe worthy that " and anything else" is listed on admins criteria. Talk about a blank slate..
Of course it's a choice. Everyone has a choice to be a total recluse at work. Everyone has a choice to do the absolute bare minimum. Everyone has a choice to not hold a door open for a coworker.

If you decide to choose to be a recluse do the bare minimum that's required of you, don't expect a raise or promotion anytime soon.

Added by edit.

By the way, everyone I have ever known to be a recluse or bare minimalist never lasted very long in the company they worked at. I certainly don't want a recluse or bare minimalist on my team.

We spend a third of our lives at work. Do you really want to argue over specifics of your job description when it comes to common courtesy?

Old 05-10-2017, 07:44 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
Quote:
That kind of pay is very common in big cities in the Northeast.
Yes it sucks they want you to fetch lunch.
$75K common... shrug. So is 13 bucks an hour.

Brown bag it randomly. Now they cannot count on you going out on your time.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:49 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Chick I work with has been doing an imaginary yoga class at lunch for over a year so people will leave her alone at lunch. Very clever.

Old 05-10-2017, 07:55 AM

589 posts, read 381,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Yes it sucks they want you to fetch lunch.
$75K common... shrug. So is 13 bucks an hour.

Brown bag it randomly. Now they cannot count on you going out on your time.
Actually brown bag it every day with an empty bag and then grab your brown bag at lunch, go out and buy your lunch wherever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment