Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:56 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I apologize for that. I wasn't thinking the post would offend anyone. I'm sorry.
There's nothing wrong with expressing dissatisfaction with having just 10 days of vacation per year. That amount of vacation is completely inadequate. You have nothing to apologize for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 08:59 PM

1,369 posts, read 2,135,510 times
Technically I receive 10 days of PTO. However...

I am a hospital nurse who works 3 12s per week, not counting my contingent job that is extremely flexible. I routinely get three or four days off per week. I can schedule myself in a way where I can get two weeks of vacation while on having to use one week. 2 x 3 equals six. But it also has to be used for sick time. I also have to work two holidays per year and every third weekend. I receive 48 hours of holiday pay which is basically 1.3 weeks of pay.

I wish I got 4-5 weeks of PTO but I love the flexibility that my three twelves offer me. Work three days, off for four...bloody fantastic!

Old 05-19-2017, 10:29 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrats2001 View Post
Well, she may not be quite as clueless as you think. Teachers don't get the summer, or the 8 weeks, as PTO. Their salary is for the days of the school year. They can usually elect to receive it prorated over 52 weeks, or they can get it as they earn it and get nothing over the unpaid break time.

And it is terrible for your family what you've had to go through, although perhaps like the ant you should have put away a wee bit more while the getting was easy, to help tide you over if a rough patch was to occur.

Ahem....don't lecture someone when you don't know WTH you're talking about!

We DID have a "wee bit" put away....a savings account in the six figures.....in addition to our 401K. WTH did that go? Not to irresponsible living! Life costs and bills need to be paid, regardless, especially with two kids to raise. Much of our savings went to Cobra, I won't go into the details because people always argue me how its BS, etc. BTW, this was awhile ago, before there were tax breaks, etc. Our Cobra came to $1200/month for 18 months, then that expired. Then, I managed to get a job, got laid off, and MY cobra was $1800/month! Don't bother to argue me its BS, I don't care whether you believe it or not. Then, we had some major health problems, both dh and me. With Cobra, just like regular insurance, you pay deductibles and copays on top of the Cobra premiums. That was in addition to all the usual costs of living, which don't just disappear because one is unemployed.

Old 05-19-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Do you not realize that teachers bring home work? How do you think papers get graded? How do you think lesson plans get done?

Oh, I thought that was what their "planning time" was for? Where else do you get a scheduled hour/day to catch up on paperwork? Usually I see them sitting in the lounge gossiping.......

Old 05-19-2017, 10:51 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
It's works if your skills are in demanded.

I really don't think there's nothing wrong with negotiating vacation time
No different then negotiating pay
Nowadays, there is a lot of competition. If you don't accept the rules, they simply won't hire you because they will take somebody else. Nobody is irreplaceable.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:51 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,916,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
We all need healthcare, so let's all get on board with the government providing the vehicle for that.
We all need food too. I'm going to stick with private enterprise for health care.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:59 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,125,239 times
You have no idea how wrong you are. Universal health care is light years ahead for regular people. You are always covered and don't have to pay anything on top of taxes. And nobody is afraid to switch jobs or take a break from work. It's also better for work/life balance. I have insurance and had to go to the doctor 4 times in the last 3 months. They really didn't do anything except to give me prescription. My bill was over $660...

Old 05-20-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Ahem....don't lecture someone when you don't know WTH you're talking about!

We DID have a "wee bit" put away....a savings account in the six figures.....in addition to our 401K. WTH did that go? Not to irresponsible living! Life costs and bills need to be paid, regardless, especially with two kids to raise. Much of our savings went to Cobra, I won't go into the details because people always argue me how its BS, etc. BTW, this was awhile ago, before there were tax breaks, etc. Our Cobra came to $1200/month for 18 months, then that expired. Then, I managed to get a job, got laid off, and MY cobra was $1800/month! Don't bother to argue me its BS, I don't care whether you believe it or not. Then, we had some major health problems, both dh and me. With Cobra, just like regular insurance, you pay deductibles and copays on top of the Cobra premiums. That was in addition to all the usual costs of living, which don't just disappear because one is unemployed.
The point I was trying to make---and seems to have escaped many here--is that my DH WAS working, at contract jobs with no benefits, never knowing when he would be let go. We didn't have ANY vacation/sick time. If he got sick enough to not be able to work, he didn't get paid and ran the risk of losing the job.

Did anyone get my point? To squeeze in a little family time, we had to take overlapping vacations with two cars, so he could be back at work. Not even a day to catch his breath. And, guess what---he often brought work home, he didn't have any scheduled planning time at work Then, we get to listen to a teacher gripe about how she doesn't get enough vacation, while she's gripping to someone who has no vacation at all She, or another teacher here, stated when the paperwork piled up she'd call in a sub so she could catch up. Where else can you call in a sub and still get paid? My DH would often be up past midnight finishing up a project, etc, then had to be at work the next day.

Ok, I get it---teaching's no picnic, but realize others work for their money, too. All parents aren't lazy welfare bums watching TV all day! Reminds me of that saying " I complained about having no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet"

Old 05-20-2017, 08:46 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,161,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
Nowadays, there is a lot of competition. If you don't accept the rules, they simply won't hire you because they will take somebody else. Nobody is irreplaceable.
Why are you going into a field where you have no options? No, nobody is irreplaceable, but nobody should set themselves up as a doormat either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
good for you, but that won't work for most people since the employer dictates the rules.
It will work for just about anyone who takes their career seriously and stands up for what they want. I have never understood people who sit back and "take" whatever the company dishes out to them.

When you interview, it is not just about the company asking you questions and you dutifully answering, it is a give and take. When I (used to) go to an interview, I am trying to see if this is a company I want to work for.

And when you negotiate a salary, tell them what benefits you want. If they balk or are not willing to negotiate/compromise, they don't want you and you don't want them. Move on to the next company.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:42 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
180 (it is actually more in many states) are STUDENT days. For example, in NC, there are 185 student days. Teachers are required to work 215 days. On top of the 215, you may be required to attend workshops and conferences on weekends and over breaks to receive your credits to renew your license. For me, after my 215 days, I had 15 more additional days in workshops over the summer, as well as at least 5 Saturdays during the school year.

When I worked retail, I was literally grading papers on breaks or even on the clock if it was slow. On my nights off of my retail job, I would pretty much grade/plan until 10 pm. Weekends were spent grading/planning when I wasn't at my retail job. I was always behind. I typically had to use a sub (and a sick day) at least once per marking period to get caught up. I'd literally call in sick and have a sub, but be on campus grading.

The two years I didn't work retail, I was at school from 7 am until at least 6 pm every day and still would spend a solid 12-18 hours on the weekend. End of the marking period? I'd have to put in 12-14 hour days on the weekend.

Even in the summer, when teachers are 'off', they are often decorating, organizing, prepping. It is truly endless.

At my corporate job, I just got off a stretch of 60 hour weeks at minimum. I still had more free time than I did while teaching, even the years I didn't work retail. It was rare for me to put in less than 60 hours towards teaching. If I did, I would get behind and have to put in extra in the upcoming weeks.
This type of environment was what I was trying to get across to OP and the other posters who assume that teachers just work the school day and then have the summer off. It's a rewarding job and the summers off is nice, but it's a lot of work to be a teacher; and I don't think everyone gets that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh, I thought that was what their "planning time" was for? Where else do you get a scheduled hour/day to catch up on paperwork? Usually I see them sitting in the lounge gossiping.......
How much time do you spend in schools? Maybe a few hours a year when you visit your kids and glance in the teachers lounge? Maybe 20 something years ago? At my school much of that time in the teachers lounge is spent making copies for their students and instead of sitting in silence they may actually, shocker, speak to co-workers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment