U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-08-2008, 10:54 PM

906 posts, read 2,611,556 times

Advertisements

I am applying for a federal job for the first time. Part of the application process is writing a narrative statement. I have never wrote one (relatively young professional). I have written cover letters on several occassions, but this narrative statement is new to me. I tried to find sample narrative statements on the web, but they were all catered to school. Can someone tell me the difference between the narrative statement and the cover letter in employment? Also can someone please explain to me what a narrative statement should look like (format, length, tone, first second or third person) and/or direct me to websites that has samples. Thanks to everyone for your help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
I am applying for a federal job for the first time. Part of the application process is writing a narrative statement. I have never wrote one (relatively young professional). I have written cover letters on several occassions, but this narrative statement is new to me. I tried to find sample narrative statements on the web, but they were all catered to school. Can someone tell me the difference between the narrative statement and the cover letter in employment? Also can someone please explain to me what a narrative statement should look like (format, length, tone, first second or third person) and/or direct me to websites that has samples. Thanks to everyone for your help.
WOW NOBODY IN THE WORK AND EMPLOYMENT SECTION HAD TO WRITE ONE OF THESE. I FIND THIS HARD TO BELIEVE.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:49 AM

1,590 posts, read 3,166,061 times
I have never heard of this either but were I to be faced with this requirement I would write something about 3 or 4 paragraphs long on a single page. In it I would write almost an autobiographical narrative about my education and work history. The work history part would include ever-increasing job responsibilities, successes and achievements and how I had made quantifiable contributions to the companies I had worked for. I would then finish up with my aspirations for future employment opportunities and what I thought I could contribute to my next employer. Other than the education portion of this narrative, it should all be about your work life and not your personal one. The only exception I might make would be if I had belonged to any organizations that may have contributed to my skill set (volunteer positions, offices held in something like my homeowners association or the PTA, military service, etc.).

Basically what this is is a twist on the all-too-familiar, "Tell me about yourself." It is a chance for you to sell yourself on paper in a very flattering light. The difference between this narrative and a cover letter is that the cover letter is more directed to the specifics of the actual job you are applying for whereas the narrative is all about you.

Good luck.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:57 PM

1,671 posts, read 4,180,488 times
Redrover you are right. It's like the elevator pitch--sale yourself quickly. Tell them, who you are and what you do, what you are great at. It should be no more than 8 sentences. Think of it as a ride on the elevator going from lobby to 24, without stops, sale yourself to the CEO in that amount of time and present to him your business card. Same effect, you just presenting it in written form and handing them your resume.

Good luck!

Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM

5,970 posts, read 12,379,809 times
Have you checked the OPM site or USAJobs.com for samples?

Old 03-13-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arussell View Post
Redrover you are right. It's like the elevator pitch--sale yourself quickly. Tell them, who you are and what you do, what you are great at. It should be no more than 8 sentences. Think of it as a ride on the elevator going from lobby to 24, without stops, sale yourself to the CEO in that amount of time and present to him your business card. Same effect, you just presenting it in written form and handing them your resume.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. I wrote it when it appeared no one would comment. It is almost 2 pages! I guess I did it wrong.

Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 PM

1 posts, read 32,683 times
I’m currently applying for a Government job and I also have to write a narrative statement. What I would recommend is look up (KSA) which is what a narrative statement should consist of (knowledge, skills, and abilities) Write your response in the first person, give specific situations, problems, how you solved them... etc. This is like a mini interview. Just remember to be very specific.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:30 AM

10 posts, read 51,119 times
When you write a narrative statement you are basically expressing the statement with a deeper visual. For example, if your writing a narrative statement about dancing, you may say " I have always love to dance, When i was 8 year old, My parent use to take me to singing lessons everyday and I would sing my heart out.

A cover letter helps the receiver to get the first hand and instant information regarding the detailed content of the attached letter or document or Resume. It acts as a marketing tool for the purpose of the letter or the attached document.

Sample Cover letter

Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 23,843 times
Believe me I feel your pain. I am a supervisor in the federal government and I have to submit two narratives on who I would recommend for involuntary reduction in force. I have calculated the number of entries vs the number of errors to get a percentage of actual and weighted. I have "ranked" from 1-10 the factors for the narrative also. My question is How do I start the Narrative?

Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 AM

286 posts, read 755,146 times
Thirty-Two Years, you'll likely receive directly applicable responses if you ask your questions here: FederalSoup.com .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment