Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 05:15 PM

811 posts, read 622,031 times

Advertisements

OP,

Sounds like the employees are happy.

Perhaps you should keep your nose in your own bag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 05:43 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
OP,

Sounds like the employees are happy.

Perhaps you should keep your nose in your own bag?
and this is why the employer wins...very astute observation....

Old 05-20-2017, 05:49 PM

811 posts, read 622,031 times
If both parties are getting what they want, they both win.

May be incomprehensible for you but believe it or not some people are actually charitable toward their employers and truly appreciate having a job.

And they understand what it takes to get promoted.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:59 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
and this is why the employer wins...very astute observation....
In your definition the employer wins because those affected do nothing which is their choice which means each individual that says nothing in regards to their own employment position is freely giving their time
without pay to their employer.

It is not the fault of the employer they have wussbabies for employees who do not stand up for their own personal rights.

You really have no right or business intruding on this issue that does not affect you so I urge you as someeone else did to tend to your own position and stay out of others employment choices.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:00 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
If both parties are getting what they want, they both win.

May be incomprehensible for you but believe it or not some people are actually charitable toward their employers and truly appreciate having a job.

And they understand what it takes to get promoted.
I guess you didn't read my original posting. But hey, never mind throw a few insults at the OP....Guess that's part of the intent with many posters here.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:33 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
I'm salaried. Some weeks I work more than my scheduled hours, some weeks I work less. As far as I'm concerned, that's a win/win situation for both me and my employer. I get paid to get the work done, not for the hours my butt is in a chair.

Old 05-20-2017, 07:37 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,816,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
You at way too concrete. Don't misunderstand - this isn't snippy, just some info to make you aware of things. If you want to move into mgmt then you shouldn't be twiddling your thumbs. That's nutty. You should use that time and fill it with something worthwhile for the org. Something you come up with that has (hopefully) formal sponsorship or at least informal sponsorship that will get you noticed. And work at whatever that is with your sponsor. And if that means corresponding after 5pm, who cares? Many managers don't really have an off the clock thing, just because we're not in the office doesn't mean we're checked out. Do the job you want to get the job you want.

Just some advice. Best of luck.
I am totally aware of how to make a splash. I was in sales for years and worked 60+ hours a week. That's why I took a 40 hour a week job. I was tired of being available all the time (working for someone else).

I did plenty to do to save the company money and I think you missed where I said I helped other coworkers with their job duties if I had completed mine. I wasn't even interested in a management position. That was just a passing comment from a judgmental supervisor.

No worries anyways. I am now self employed doing something I am passionate about. I work pretty much every waking moment, but that's okay. I don't work for a supervisor who thinks working more than 40 hours makes you a better employee anymore. I am pretty sure I am much happier and less stressed than she is.

Last edited by goldenlove; 05-20-2017 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-20-2017, 09:00 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
Quote:
So, we have various positions, from Min wage to engineer.

Recently one of the workers was promoted to position 3. This means they get vac, sick and holiday pay. We're happy for them. BUT then it came out, this person spends 2-6 hours a week working for free.

WHY?

Because they're afraid of complaining and getting fired. They aren't the only one. Another one who is Position 3 and one is Position 4 They ALL work 2-6 hours per week working for free.

I contacted the state, they said "Unless the ACTUAL party complains", they refuse to do anything. No amount of telling them they are being shafted works, they simply refuse to approach management and demand fair treatment.

I remember well years ago I had the same problem, went into the Boss and spoke up. They agreed it wasn't fair and I got my OT. But now? I guess they rely on the fear of the workers to not have an income is the way they keep them in line.

Thus the employer wins....
I spent my first 6 months working for free as part of my apprenticeship.
My apprenticeship lasted a good 5 yrs but money was good after the first 2 yrs.
I went on to run several businesses.

Those who think like employees will always be employees.

Old 05-20-2017, 09:02 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,063,037 times
...and they wonder why jobs get shipped to China.

Old 05-20-2017, 11:48 PM

988 posts, read 1,828,007 times
Quote:
So, we have various positions, from Min wage to engineer.

Recently one of the workers was promoted to position 3. This means they get vac, sick and holiday pay. We're happy for them. BUT then it came out, this person spends 2-6 hours a week working for free.

WHY?

Because they're afraid of complaining and getting fired. They aren't the only one. Another one who is Position 3 and one is Position 4 They ALL work 2-6 hours per week working for free.

I contacted the state, they said "Unless the ACTUAL party complains", they refuse to do anything. No amount of telling them they are being shafted works, they simply refuse to approach management and demand fair treatment.

I remember well years ago I had the same problem, went into the Boss and spoke up. They agreed it wasn't fair and I got my OT. But now? I guess they rely on the fear of the workers to not have an income is the way they keep them in line.

Thus the employer wins....
Why is it "unfair"? They voluntarily chose to work the job, right? If the job requires 42-46 hours/week to be completed for the pay they voluntarily accept, they that's what it requires. Unless they specifically signed a written contract specifying otherwise, there's not really a reason that they're entitled to work a set 40 hours - which is ultimately an arbitrarily set number.

As a point of comparison...the CEO of the company I work for, if his blog on the company intranet is any indication, works or travels for work a ton more than 40 hours/week. He's almost certainly not waltzing in at 9AM and declaring he's done at 5PM to go drink beverages or watch some silly TV show because "40 hours is what's 'fair'".

There's a reason he makes a ton of money - not only the hours and time away from family, but also the expectation at the end of the day, if the company is tanking he's the one expected to answer for it all.

A voluntarily accepted promotion and additional responsibility means more than "punching a clock".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment