Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:24 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,785,830 times

Advertisements

So, we have various positions, from Min wage to engineer.

Recently one of the workers was promoted to position 3. This means they get vac, sick and holiday pay. We're happy for them. BUT then it came out, this person spends 2-6 hours a week working for free.

WHY?

Because they're afraid of complaining and getting fired. They aren't the only one. Another one who is Position 3 and one is Position 4 They ALL work 2-6 hours per week working for free.

I contacted the state, they said "Unless the ACTUAL party complains", they refuse to do anything. No amount of telling them they are being shafted works, they simply refuse to approach management and demand fair treatment.

I remember well years ago I had the same problem, went into the Boss and spoke up. They agreed it wasn't fair and I got my OT. But now? I guess they rely on the fear of the workers to not have an income is the way they keep them in line.

Thus the employer wins....

Last edited by Disgustedman; 05-20-2017 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 11:35 AM

683 posts, read 1,884,541 times
Are they exempt or non-exempt positions?

Old 05-20-2017, 12:09 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
You mean they are salaried and get paid for their work and not for their time...

Old 05-20-2017, 12:13 PM

No, only engineers and office manager are salaried. Everyone else is hourly.

Old 05-20-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chellemi808 View Post
Are they exempt or non-exempt positions?
Had to go check that. No, they aren't if going by this:

The Administrative exemption is for non-manual or office work directly related to management policies or general business administration. Positions customarily and regularly exercise independent judgment and discretion more than 50% of the time. Work is performed under general supervision and may require special training, experience, or knowledge.

The person simply checks paperwork, they do some computer work, but that's only to move data into set fields. They do solve some issues (Deciding what is to be included in report of errors), but cannot repair anything even if they know how to. They don't do any timekeeping, they manage no employees (But check paperwork)

Old 05-20-2017, 12:41 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,818,373 times
At my last job, I had a supervisor tell me that I would never be management material because I only worked my 40 hours a week. So basically, even though all of my work was completed and there were times I was just twiddling my thumbs after helping coworkers with anything they may need help with, I should be in the office for more than 40 hours a week if I wanted to move up. Guess who decided that they didn't want to become a manager if that's how it worked?

Edited to add: This was a white collar office job.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:09 PM

I mean really if I'm wrong I can accept that. But as I was talking to the other Position 3 they didn't say anything as to them being exempt. So I take it they aren't as they would very well know if they were or not. Or at least management would have told them...

Old 05-20-2017, 01:15 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
At my last job, I had a supervisor tell me that I would never be management material because I only worked my 40 hours a week. So basically, even though all of my work was completed and there were times I was just twiddling my thumbs after helping coworkers with anything they may need help with, I should be in the office for more than 40 hours a week if I wanted to move up. Guess who decided that they didn't want to become a manager if that's how it worked?

Edited to add: This was a white collar office job.
You at way too concrete. Don't misunderstand - this isn't snippy, just some info to make you aware of things. If you want to move into mgmt then you shouldn't be twiddling your thumbs. That's nutty. You should use that time and fill it with something worthwhile for the org. Something you come up with that has (hopefully) formal sponsorship or at least informal sponsorship that will get you noticed. And work at whatever that is with your sponsor. And if that means corresponding after 5pm, who cares? Many managers don't really have an off the clock thing, just because we're not in the office doesn't mean we're checked out. Do the job you want to get the job you want.

Just some advice. Best of luck.

Old 05-20-2017, 03:12 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times
If their salaried then they are typically exempt. If they are hourly then they should be getting paid overtime. If it's not you, then don't worry about it. Let you co-workers work for free if they choose. Not your problem! If this was my position, then I'd speak up!

Old 05-20-2017, 03:24 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
If those employees are too wimpy to open their mouths and complain, they are getting exactly what they Deserve!

Seems to me they have accepted this and learned their place in the employment food chain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment