Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 04:59 PM

370 posts, read 504,738 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone,

I won't make this long-drawn out post. It becomes too much "he said, she said" but I started an office job in a very well known agency. Right away, I could see it was a mistake by the number of "new people" it is a small office and five of us were new. The turnover rate was the first red flag and then it became more stress than the 12 dollars they were paying me. I was told by many to watch out for the owner that she has all but ran out a dozen workers in two years. I did try to make it, and show them I could learn this job. I made it to the five month mark and the owner became hostile with me. I couldn't do anything without her berating me in front of everyone. I mean it got bad. I was then given a list of people she was like this with- a pattern of just treating workers bad.

I gave notice and worked until my last day. The owner comes in and sits down and before I knew it (because I wasn't thinking clearly) asked me to stay. It came out of left field. They seemed sincere in praising my work and me.

I stayed.

It's been a month and now it's all turned. The owner went to HR making a complaint on me that I didn't respect her. They gave an example and it was something silly. One-by-one the small office has turned against me. I was told by another employee that when they were talking with me the owner was rolling her eyes. I left on Friday with a headache and wondering what to do.

How to handle this? I feel like I'm sinking and need some clear input. I get I made a mistake by staying but what would you do?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2017, 05:08 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Do you have another job lined up?
If yes, then Friday was your last day. Start your new one on Monday.
If no, then start job hunting immediately. Do not worry about taking time off during the day to interview. The worst that can happen is they fire you.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Do you have another job lined up?
If yes, then Friday was your last day. Start your new one on Monday.
If no, then start job hunting immediately. Do not worry about taking time off during the day to interview. The worst that can happen is they fire you.
Thank you for your advice. I do not have a job lined up but have a lead right now. Even after reading my post in front of me, I can see the writing on the wall. I will job hunt immediately

Old 05-20-2017, 05:25 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,986,308 times
Its always when you threaten to leave that companies FINALLY give two craps about you

Old 05-20-2017, 08:54 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
I assume it's this job the OP is referring to (keep in mind that when the OP left the previous job to come to this one, the manager took it personally and seemingly would not take her back at a later date):

Starting a new job and come to realize zero job stability there

If this isn't a clear warning against why someone should never accept a counter offer, or something similar to a counter offer as per the original post, then I don't know what is.

I still don't understand why the OP decided to stay after such hostility was directed at the OP. OP saying she wasn't thinking clearly doesn't make any sense to me.

Now, the thing is, most people who ask for advice about accepting counter offers on this forum are leaving an organization that treated them relatively well and the work environment was good. So this is really hard for me to understand.

Before anyone accuses me of 'insulting' the OP or being insensitive or too hard, that is not the case. I'm simply mentioning the above so that future people who ask for advice on leaving or staying and counteroffers, will realize that if it is a hostile work environment you are leaving, then never accept a counteroffer or agree to stay. If you do so, the people in charge will take it personally that you wanted to leave and make your life a living hell as is happening to the OP. LEARN from her situation.

As for the OP, she realizes the writing is on the wall. Best thing to do is to start the job search in earnest. Do NOT get caught up in the owner's mind games, no matter how bad it can get. You will never 'win' against this owner and organization, no HR, nothing.

And if a job is found, put in the two week notice as per usual. Some will disagree with this, but I wouldn't want a nasty organization like that doing whatever they can to sabotage my future job by saying this employee was terrible, and didn't even put in a 2 week notice. If they let you go before then, so what, at least you did what was right.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:53 AM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
Did you have another job lined up the first time?

Of course you made a mistake by staying. Frankly, it's hard to understand why you stayed. Did they offer more $? If you had another job lined up you must have accepted and then had to turn around and tell them never mind? I don't get it, why would you stay just because they asked you to? Why would you think the culture would change? For you?

Best of luck

Old 05-21-2017, 07:45 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Did you have another job lined up the first time?

Of course you made a mistake by staying. Frankly, it's hard to understand why you stayed. Did they offer more $? If you had another job lined up you must have accepted and then had to turn around and tell them never mind? I don't get it, why would you stay just because they asked you to? Why would you think the culture would change? For you?

Best of luck

I would bet they came in and made all kinds of promises, and "oh it was just a misunderstanding" and "you are such a key member of the team" and so on. Made it sound so sincere the OP thought may it was a misunderstanding. My mother used to say that folks like that can be so cool butter wouldn't melt in their mouth. Then stab you in the back.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:11 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Isn't there some website where you could sort of warn people about this company? Glass Door maybe? Do they have an HR director or is it too small. Seems to me this boss should have had complaints filed against her for her unprofessionalism a long time ago.

Start looking for a new job and as a former "head hunter" we always advised applicants to never, ever accept a counteroffer. Most of the time the company just wants the employee to stay long enough for them to find a replacement and then you will be hung out to dry.

Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 AM

I did not have another job lined up but in a situation, right now but that window will close, where I can leave and look. I felt no job is worth the amount of hell they were putting me through and hearing of how she has treated employees in the past..she targets one and drives them out. In two years, she has gone through 12 employees in a nine person staff.

The reason they "sweet" talked me is she reports to a Board and there was grumbling about her turnover rate. She feared getting fired and me trying to see the good in her, I didn't want her to fear losing her job. I believed she would change but now she is just brining me down so she can report to the Board I am the disaster. It's insane.

I made a mistake, I know it. I am preparing to leave even with no job but have started looking. It's a hard blow to realize when you messed up. They buttered me up and I believed it. It's a shame

Old 05-21-2017, 09:03 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Well perhaps after you have secured a new position you can send a letter to this "Board" telling them exactly how she treats employees. If you can get a couple of other ex-employees to do the same it will look even better and less like sour grapes on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment