Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:58 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,103,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB75 View Post
Sure, it's part of networking. Instead of asking to pass along your resume though, start a conversation about what their experience is like working there, and what the hiring process was like because you have an interest in the company.

The details about how to get in will be more valuable, and he/she may say, "hey, let me know if you ever apply so I can put in a word for you."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
This is exactly how you do it, instead of right off the bat telling him you are looking for a job there and handing him the resume to ask if he can give it to the hiring manager. Rushing it by giving him the resume puts him on the spot and is rather presumptuous.

You have to ease into it and hopefully he'll offer his help. If not, then you know not to press the issue as it can backfire.
Yes^^

Send him a polite, friendly email asking some well-worded questions, gathering a bit of info. If he responds positively, you could suggest meeting for lunch/coffee/drinks to hear more about the company, its culture, etc. Take it from there. Initially you're laying the ground work.

This strategy could definitely work for you, but be patient and remember you're playing a long game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 07:20 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,447,287 times
Agree with others. Use this as an opportunity to learn more about working for the company and their process of hiring and everything. If you rush into things, it will seem like you are just using this person. Just express interest in the company first through your contact, build a relationship and see where it leads you.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:04 AM

34,911 posts, read 31,023,226 times
If it's a client of your company, definitely look for language in your current job that prevents you from going to clients.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:05 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,504,307 times
^^^ agree with this. He eventually might say , I'll pass on your resume.

How might he view your actions to your current employee which is how he knows you? Juat askin'

Old 05-22-2017, 08:09 AM

11,583 posts, read 6,693,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
My concern is how close is this client to your current company? There's a risk that the client may tattle on you.

If he's a client for the company you currently work at then "No" it's not appropriate; furthermore, he might actually say something about it to your current employer and that could cause a problem!

Old 05-22-2017, 09:24 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,340,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EG150 View Post
I did meet someone who works there a couple of months ago through my current job. He's a client of the company I currently work for. I've only assisted him twice, but they were both positive interactions. Would it be inappropriate for me to reach out to him and ask if he can pass my resume along to the hiring manager/recruiter?
Totally inappropriate.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:28 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,340,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
If he's a client for the company you currently work at then "No" it's not appropriate; furthermore, he might actually say something about it to your current employer and that could cause a problem!
Yep. A client worth his salt will tell me, the manager, that my employee tried to fob a resume off on him to try to move to his company. Of course, three things will happen from there:

* I will fire the employee, thus giving him plenty of time to search for a another job

* The client won't take the resume because they know the employee was being underhanded about it

* The employee now has a termination on their record

Old 05-22-2017, 09:51 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,921,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Yep. A client worth his salt will tell me, the manager, that my employee tried to fob a resume off on him to try to move to his company. Of course, three things will happen from there:

* I will fire the employee, thus giving him plenty of time to search for a another job

* The client won't take the resume because they know the employee was being underhanded about it

* The employee now has a termination on their record
Bingo. Don't poop where you eat. It will not turn out well.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 AM

7,996 posts, read 10,366,087 times
General rule of thumb that seems to have served me well - if you have to ask whether it's inappropriate, it probably is.

Old 05-22-2017, 10:45 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,571,003 times
I went to work for a client of mine and it was super awkward. They pursued me though and even then the company I had worked for tried to pull a noncompete clause. However since they aren't competitors but rather collaborators it didn't go anywhere. Definitely burned a bridge but no way I wanted to ever go back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment