Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 10:29 AM

9 posts, read 11,842 times

Advertisements

Now that I am old I think a lot about my life and career. One thing I always ask myself is: "why wasn't I more successful in my career?" and "Why didn't I make more money?"

I worked hard, got lots of training and kept active in my career and had an advanced degree. Why was XXX more successful than me?

Where ever you are in your career today. Do you ever wonder why you have not been more successful? What do you think is the reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 10:33 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Working hard, training, advanced degree etc. are all nice and will allow you to get a decent job and retire someday. Things like initiative, creating thinking, networking, brown nosing, putting yourself out there, working outside of your comfort zone, working extra long/hard hours, becoming a leader and not just a worker, are what set people on a different path of higher pay and success (depending how you define success).

Old 05-22-2017, 11:09 AM

801 posts, read 547,684 times
I've noticed some people are so busy working hard that they forgot to work smart...

Old 05-22-2017, 11:11 AM

6,451 posts, read 9,814,509 times
You should have added a Poll to this one!

Old 05-22-2017, 11:12 AM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
When you said being successful, I'm assuming you are referring to making more money. I believe in order to make more money, you have to be able to contribute to the society first, and the money will find you. Of course, training, education, opportunity, all plays a part of it. I believe there's equilibrium in this universe that we human can't see and understand, and what you do will determine where you go down the road.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:46 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Luck = Blind stupid luck, right place at the right time.

Charismatic Personality = one where people will give you the shirt off their backs without hesitation, can make friends without any effort, etc.

Attractiveness = Good looks with great body. Average or above average in height.

Lifestyle = No one mistook you for weird or g*y (especially if you're a dude)

Background = right skin color/ethic background/religious group.

The above are the real barriers on why you might have not been more successful. The job industry can also affect the degree to which the above matter.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:43 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Luck = Blind stupid luck, right place at the right time.

Charismatic Personality = one where people will give you the shirt off their backs without hesitation, can make friends without any effort, etc.

Attractiveness = Good looks with great body. Average or above average in height.

Lifestyle = No one mistook you for weird or g*y (especially if you're a dude)

Background = right skin color/ethic background/religious group.

The above are the real barriers on why you might have not been more successful. The job industry can also affect the degree to which the above matter.
4 of 5 of these occur by being the person that organizes the happy hours.

Luck - You hear about the best opportunities that you shouldn't because they aren't public. Generally by the time they are public, they are in effect spoken for.

Charisma, attractiveness, lifestyle - even if you are naturally lacking in these it helps immensely if many of your interactions occur while those around you have had a couple. Average becomes attractive. Awkward becomes approachable.

The only thing missing is the ability to delegate. Its always best to be the least busy so that you have capacity to step in when something you have delegated starts going south.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 PM

9 posts, read 11,842 times
Many of the people I know got in a real good company right out of college, that was growing and needed people with their skill set. They also found a great supporter and mentor who in a sense took them under their wing and saw that they were successful and helped get them promotions, etc. Getting into the right company with great mentors at in your 20s seems to be the key to lifetime success.

Last edited by Old retired folks; 05-22-2017 at 01:04 PM..

Old 05-22-2017, 01:06 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
I'm not retired yet but have had a pretty successful career. If any thing has held me back it's that I am not a "yes-man" and speak truth to management even when they don't want to hear it. It's probably kept me from a couple promotions along the way but I can sleep nights.

Old 05-22-2017, 03:23 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,323,605 times
Maybe because you were an introvert, shy and quiet. You didn't know how to sell yourself.

I learned on the internet and real life that introverts are thinkers, extrovert are talkers. Mostly extroverts are bold and are not afraid to talk about anything. They know how to talk about themselves, and therefore they can sell themselves easier and faster.

Of course, there are successful introverts and extroverts in the corporate world. But the percentage of successful people is more on the extroverts.

Last edited by AnOrdinaryCitizen; 05-22-2017 at 03:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment