Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:17 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times

Advertisements

- People that wear too much cologne or perfume
- People who rather than use the intercom system, talk loudly to each other across the room
- People who microwave smelly food that stinks up the whole office
- People who hog the one bathroom for 30 minutes which requires a gas mask to use after them
- Pen clickers, nail biters, skin pickers, throat clearers, nose snifflers
- Co-workers who play their music too loud
- People who bring their personal drama to work every day

Thankfully, while I have experienced all of the above, the only pet peeve I have where I work now is the second one. They're not even in the same office but they will shout out to each other rather than just use the intercom. It's only a problem if I happen to be on the phone, which is rarely but other than that I can't complain. I have a nice job with a great boss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2017, 08:46 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdaywillcome View Post
Here's to all of the above pet peeves as they're all legit in an office setting..

Except for the guy that runs his own business. Bullyhoo for him!! Posting it here isn't what this post is about.

To all the others venting on this post, I have a few:

How bout those that blow things up in the microwave and never clean up their messes?

The ones that insist on only taking half a bagel/donut and leave the other half sitting there??! This bugs me to NO END!! Go ahead..touch the thing with your hands..break it in half..and expect someone else to take what you've already touched. This is just plain gross to me. Eat what you want and throw the rest in the garbage!!

Or the ones who eat breakfast at their desks, (cereal especially).. and then leave the bowl either in the local office sink (usually where the eyewash station is located), or in the breakroom sink..full of water for the rest of us to look at all day long. It's disgusting!! How much effort would it take that individual to wash the bowl out and take it back to their desk??
those are all good examples. I always think to myself "I wonder what their house looks like!" While I am not quite this extreme, it does make me understand why some people refuse to eat anything people bring in for a pot luck at work, and will only eat the catered food.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
· People who steal others' food in the staff room's fridge
· People always go around and gossip
· People who always criticize others but they themselves are full of it
· People who wear very low cut blouses and short skirts or dresses and complain with others this and that person (male co-worker or boss) always stares at their boobs or legs, or client/resident (in the long term care) tries to touch their boobs or legs

For the bullet #4, if they don't want someone else to look at their boobs or legs, why dress like that?

Old 05-26-2017, 11:58 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
I am the only one with children that need to be taken to daycare and school, and picked up after work...

Yet I am the only one that is asked to stop at the coffee place for coffee and donuts on my way to work, and now having to run to the post office after work. Why does no one else offer? Both places are a good 15 miles out of my way, and force me to leave extra early in the morning, and get home later in the afternoon.

The kicker this morning was a coworker actually went to the coffee shop for just herself. Yet I had to run there for a special order.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:20 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourdaywillcome View Post
Here's to all of the above pet peeves as they're all legit in an office setting..

Except for the guy that runs his own business. Bullyhoo for him!! Posting it here isn't what this post is about.

To all the others venting on this post, I have a few:

How bout those that blow things up in the microwave and never clean up their messes?

The ones that insist on only taking half a bagel/donut and leave the other half sitting there??! This bugs me to NO END!! Go ahead..touch the thing with your hands..break it in half..and expect someone else to take what you've already touched. This is just plain gross to me. Eat what you want and throw the rest in the garbage!!

Or the ones who eat breakfast at their desks, (cereal especially).. and then leave the bowl either in the local office sink (usually where the eyewash station is located), or in the breakroom sink..full of water for the rest of us to look at all day long. It's disgusting!! How much effort would it take that individual to wash the bowl out and take it back to their desk??
I must have worked at a seriously polite bank. Regarding the donut thing? A fork and knife was used to cut the donut in half. We shared all the time. And the Friday fridge clean out, kitchen duty thing? Seriously eliminated almost all the mess in the microwave. The other thing was -- we were forbidden from making microwave popcorn. The big boss had his office about two doors away from the break room and popcorn was the bane of his existence.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:24 PM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I am the only one with children that need to be taken to daycare and school, and picked up after work...

Yet I am the only one that is asked to stop at the coffee place for coffee and donuts on my way to work, and now having to run to the post office after work. Why does no one else offer? Both places are a good 15 miles out of my way, and force me to leave extra early in the morning, and get home later in the afternoon.

The kicker this morning was a coworker actually went to the coffee shop for just herself. Yet I had to run there for a special order.
Who asked you to do these tasks? If your co-workers, you can tell them that you have other things to do, you don't have time to do it. If your supervisor/manager, tell him/her everybody who wants to eat donuts and drink coffee needs to share/take turn to do this task. It's not fair you have to do it all the times, nobody else does it, and everybody eats the donuts and drink coffee together. Hope you did not have to use your own money to buy those donuts and coffee. Besides, there are time and gas money (if you drive). If you don't drive, the more you cannot do this all the times by yourself.

Be brave and have gut to speak up. If you don't speak up, people will use you to the max.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:33 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
I had a co-worker who was such a nice woman but man, her perfume was completely overbearing. And it smelled like air freshener. One time I said to my other co-worker, "So-and-so is here." And she asked me how I knew, considering I hadn't left the area. "I can smell her before I see her." And this was a hospital so being in a medical facility didn't matter apparently!

When I open the main refrigerator at work, I almost never see a space. And somehow the people working there, with names written on their crap, will continuously open that same refrigerator and that stuff will be there until they die.
I too work at a hospital. Those employees who must or may work around patients must not wear perfume or cologne nor fragrant aftershave. Speak politely in private with supervisor about her perfume. Even if she isn't interacting with patients, it can be a problem for other employees. She may not realize she's using too much or she may be trying to hide an odor from a medical condition. For a perfume spray, one spray on the left and right side of the neck is enough. Some are taught by their moms or grandmothers to use several sprays, like four or more. I've noticed the less people smoke cigarettes, the less perfume or cologne is needed.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:42 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Some of my peeves are cultural. Black employees in housekeeping and hospital's dietary department are excessively loud. They seem to gather in groups talking and laughing very loudly. These departments are made up of also white, southeast Asian, middle eastern, Mexican, and some South American workers and none of these other groups are so loud.

Among my own personal coworkers in the maintenance, minor annoyances. Nothing to the level of peeves. We keep our fridge and microwave clean, we clean our own shop and office, and we ask each other for advice if we come across a problem we're not familiar with for the solution.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:19 PM

6,192 posts, read 7,351,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I too work at a hospital. Those employees who must or may work around patients must not wear perfume or cologne nor fragrant aftershave. Speak politely in private with supervisor about her perfume. Even if she isn't interacting with patients, it can be a problem for other employees. She may not realize she's using too much or she may be trying to hide an odor from a medical condition. For a perfume spray, one spray on the left and right side of the neck is enough. Some are taught by their moms or grandmothers to use several sprays, like four or more. I've noticed the less people smoke cigarettes, the less perfume or cologne is needed.
I don't work there anymore and yes she did work around patients. But I did also work at a place where I had a coworker who would go smoke and then spray perfume all over herself after that. The combination made me gag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
- People that wear too much cologne or perfume
- People who rather than use the intercom system, talk loudly to each other across the room
- People who microwave smelly food that stinks up the whole office
- People who hog the one bathroom for 30 minutes which requires a gas mask to use after them
- Pen clickers, nail biters, skin pickers, throat clearers, nose snifflers
- Co-workers who play their music too loud
- People who bring their personal drama to work every day
Your first point reminds me of something else. We have these Voicera things, which are good in theory, but I don't like them because if one person is on the Voicera and they call down connecting to the phone, we can never hear what they say. But then sometimes they're calling us and we're essentially on speaker for everyone to hear while they are being rude to us.

You also remind me once someone heated something up SOMEWHERE on the floor of my old job and it not only stunk up the entire floor but the smell lasted for a good hour. It was definitely fish-related and was a really awful smell. Boy that was potent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment