Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 07:38 PM

528 posts, read 711,833 times

Advertisements

I work in software development , engineering and cloud computing. I am not an expert in any one of these fields, but my combined knowledge makes me a valued asset of a large manufacturing corporation.

I recently got laid off and tried to earn some money being a freelancer on sites like upwork.com . It is shocking how much competition and talent there is. Folks in India and Russia with far deeper expertise than me charge less than $15/hour. Wtf! Why are corporations willing to pay me $100+k/year for skills they can get much cheaper through upwork?

Is it like the movie Trading Places, where anyone can do my job ? Is the only reason I am being chosen is because of my "class" ! I never thought that movie would apply to tech, but it seems so!

After 7 months in the job search I have landed another $100k/year job with a large corporation. But it is shocking that my skills are so worthless outside a large corporation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 05:15 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Welcome to globalization.

The USA is only 4.4% of the total world population. https://www.census.gov/popclock/

If your IQ is 130, you are in the top 2.1% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intell...tient?dur=3432

However, if the total world population is 7392E6, you get to compete among a world group of 15.5 million.

Good luck with that.

Don't ever assume that smart people exist only in the USA.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:04 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,116,020 times
That's depressing! I was thinking of making $$$ online too. But one advantage is that I live in America and can work locally, too. I hate that Indian Engineers or so can underbid us on upwork.com, and probably use pirated software, too.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:21 AM

35,062 posts, read 31,284,584 times
This is global labor arbitrage. In their location, $15/hr may be equivalent to a middle class living or better.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:33 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,315,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is global labor arbitrage. In their location, $15/hr may be equivalent to a middle class living or better.
Very true. The effect of globalization is to pull their standard of living up while it pulls your down.

Ross Perot predicted this way back in 1992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkgx1C_S6ls

"it will continue until their jobs come up to $6 per hour and ours come down to $6 per hour."

My advice to young people is to beware getting into a job where your finished output is a computer file that can be transmitted over the internet. It will put you in direct competition with all those smart and hungry folks from Asia.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:14 AM

Yeah, back then I wanted Ross Perot as President, too. But there are "Overlords" in America that don't want some things to happen certain ways... Maybe that's why they killed JFK.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:25 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,606,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTE1969 View Post
Yeah, back then I wanted Ross Perot as President, too. But there are "Overlords" in America that don't want some things to happen certain ways... Maybe that's why they killed JFK.
If you're the praying sort, keep President Trump in your prayers. Lots of the powers that be don't like him, either.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:59 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
If you're the praying sort, keep President Trump in your prayers. Lots of the powers that be don't like him, either.
I think they're pretty sure they can take him down or at least stall his agenda with the whole "Trumped up" Russia collusion thing, so they won't have to resort to cruder methods. The Agenda will continue apace, much to the delight of the elites and the peasantry alike.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:07 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I work in software development , engineering and cloud computing. I am not an expert in any one of these fields, but my combined knowledge makes me a valued asset of a large manufacturing corporation.

I recently got laid off and tried to earn some money being a freelancer on sites like upwork.com . It is shocking how much competition and talent there is. Folks in India and Russia with far deeper expertise than me charge less than $15/hour. Wtf! Why are corporations willing to pay me $100+k/year for skills they can get much cheaper through upwork?
They might have more experience than you, but that doesn't mean they will perform better. Companies do not trust freelancers from India and for a good reason. A lot of them take shortcuts or use anti-patterns that is going to hurt the company in the long run.

For instance take a look at the answer to this quora question. How will your company know that this won't happen to them?

Old 05-24-2017, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Yeah, it was in the News that even a lot of witch covens are ganging up after him... Yeah, he's somewhat Catholic.

You know, Obama's Administration was very evil and crap. It's good Trump is firing many Obama people. Some people even think Obama was an Anti-Christ!

I even suffered under a witch. My mom, on her deathbed, said never to share an Apt with roommates. Tried that twice and it was extremely bad luck. Last landlord was "The Witch of Berwyn..." Yeah, I guess she tried to get me killed and she put many spells on me, - I guess...

And the World is getting more EVIL. So much crap goes on nowadays... I guess Christ's second coming will be within a few years, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment