Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 12:09 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,834,783 times

Advertisements

This guy at my work who was a lame project manager (incompetent and lazy) got laid off. Within a month he had another job in another state as a bank VP.

It's a lesser known bank but still huge, has thousands of reviews on glassdoor. And it's not one of those branch manager/VP positions. It's a legit VP position.

But how on EARTH did this bozo line up a better gig with a better title so quickly???

I remember a previous co-worker who was as incompetent as a person could possibly get. Yet when he got laid off he managed to secure a better gig within two months as a manager.

Both of the above people were experts at BS and dodging work, not to mention excuses for why they couldn't do something. That and resume lies have to be the reason they pull this off, no?

Last edited by Tac-Sea; 05-24-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 12:16 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
This guy at my work who was a lame project manager (incompetent and lazy) got laid off. Within a month he had another job in another state as a bank VP.

It's a lesser known bank but still huge, has thousands of reviews on glassdoor. And it's not one of those branch manager/VP positions. It's a legit VP position.

But how on EARTH did this bozo line up a better gig with a better title so quickly???

I remember a previous co-worker who was as incompetent as a person could possible get. Yet when he got laid off he managed to secure a better gig within two months as a manager.

Both of the above people were experts at BS and dodging work, not to mention excuses for why they couldn't do something. That and resume lies have to be the reason they pull this off, no?
Maybe it's your ability to evaluate someone's worth that is off.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:22 PM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times
Quote:
...experts at BS and dodging work, not to mention excuses for why they couldn't do something.
This is otherwise known as 'delegating'.

Old 05-24-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Maybe it's your ability to evaluate someone's worth that is off.
Right, he magically went from project manager who wasn't performing, to Bank VP in one job change because he is a genius and we were all wrong about him.

That's like saying the fast food employee went from burger flipper to Senior Director of Engineering at Amazon.

He didn't get laid off from his position because of demonstrated incompetence visible to all of his colleagues and managers...

Old 05-24-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
This is otherwise known as 'delegating'.
Except he had no one to delegate to, his job WAS to take care of the issue. He just couldn't figure out how. So he came up with excuses as to why he couldn't do it. Management would end up escalating it to me to do as a result of his failure to figure out how to.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Except he had no one to delegate to, his job WAS to take care of the issue. He just couldn't figure out how. So he came up with excuses as to why he couldn't do it. Management would end up escalating it to me to do as a result of his failure to figure out how to.
Are you me in an alternate universe? I also have to work with incompetent managers who can't deal with their problems and they get passed to me. They literally wander around wasting time blabbering about meaningless office politics as if it's work. High up people here will give up with them and E-mail their complex problems to me directly.

In one way it's good because I enjoy the challenges and exposure to other grapevines, but how my management get away with being taken seriously is beyond me. One of the most senior people here still can't figure out how to use his own desk phone. Why would they anyway? All they have to do is delegate (translation: bully people and pretend to work)

Old 05-24-2017, 01:18 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
If this person used his gift of BS and resume lies to get the job, he will soon be found out. It could just be that he has more of an aptitude for bank management than for the project management that he did before. More likely, he was potentially a great project manager but lacked the motivation and support from his superiors, and now, whether it's the higher pay or some other factors, he's more engaged in the work.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
If this person used his gift of BS and resume lies to get the job, he will soon be found out.
This is the corporate world, not Disneyland. My experience is that narcissists and BS-lovers will usually get the promotion because of their ability to motivate others and drive confidence. By the time they are revealed to be completely inept, it's too late; management has invested too much in them, and not realized that he has been gathering hostages, making other contingencies in case of a fight, and far too much trouble to dislodge.

Then again, people work for different reasons. Would you really want a job where everyone queues up to flatter and praise you constantly? That would be tiresome to me, but some people can't get enough.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:40 PM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
I know a guy who started out as an intern in my department, in about 4 months was hired in another department and within a year he was promoted to manager of said department. This was a F500 company.

He schmoozed and played golf with the higher ups. Not to mention he was very good looking, and the department he was hired into was staffed with all women.

I know a lot of people who are heavy networkers and are placed into positions where they aren't qualified. They know the right people.

Old 05-24-2017, 01:49 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,572,970 times
I think our own opinion of someone doesn't really matter. What it matters is the person who decided to hire him for the position matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment