Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times

Advertisements

Here's where I am now.

I'm female, 30 years old, and currently employed. I'm not sure if the problems I've been facing are related to my inexperience with social situations or are an issue related to the environment in which I'm working. I feel like I'm in danger of being terminated due to poor job performance that is not really my fault. I feel like I haven't been trained well enough to do the job, but there isn't anything I can do about that.

I want to quit my job and relocate and maybe apply for something that better fits my skill set, but I would like to have something lined up before I quit. I don't know if I'll be eligible for any unemployment benefits, as I work in a will-to-work state, and my employment is more or less at will, although my employer is going to be a bit more lenient because anyone who works at this particular facility has to at least have a master's degree. The pool of applicants is a little more shallow, so it's not as easy to replace someone as say a fast food worker. Still, though, I could eventually be terminated, and I think it's to my advantage to use the time between then and now to look for a job that better fits my skill set. The question I have, though, is what would that be?

I'm not that good with people. I like working with people, but I have poor communication and conflict resolution skills. Plus, I can't really work that well with other people in high-stress settings. I love collaborating to work on easy projects where we are all on equal footing, but I'm not very good at "thinking on my feet" and need tasks spelled out for me to feel like I will succeed. I also prefer being evaluated often and given praise and constructive criticism for my projects. I do not work well in an environment where I feel like my boss is a "head hunter" who wants to humiliate me for the slightest mistake. I'm highly sensitive and susceptible to bullies because I do not know appropriate ways to handle certain difficult situations with bosses and coworkers, so I need to be in a workplace where my boss and coworkers are understanding and patient. I depend on my fellow employees following the rules and maintaining appropriate boundaries with me, as I'm sometimes unable to define those boundaries myself. This rules out settings where I'm likely to be involved in internal conflict--boss wants to bully employees, employee wants to start drama, employee needs to be friends with boss to get a promotion, etc.

Last edited by krmb; 06-11-2017 at 09:34 AM..

Old 06-11-2017, 10:05 PM

35,070 posts, read 31,293,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Here's where I am now.

I'm female, 30 years old, and currently employed. I'm not sure if the problems I've been facing are related to my inexperience with social situations or are an issue related to the environment in which I'm working. I feel like I'm in danger of being terminated due to poor job performance that is not really my fault. I feel like I haven't been trained well enough to do the job, but there isn't anything I can do about that.

I want to quit my job and relocate and maybe apply for something that better fits my skill set, but I would like to have something lined up before I quit. I don't know if I'll be eligible for any unemployment benefits, as I work in a will-to-work state, and my employment is more or less at will, although my employer is going to be a bit more lenient because anyone who works at this particular facility has to at least have a master's degree. The pool of applicants is a little more shallow, so it's not as easy to replace someone as say a fast food worker. Still, though, I could eventually be terminated, and I think it's to my advantage to use the time between then and now to look for a job that better fits my skill set. The question I have, though, is what would that be?

I'm not that good with people. I like working with people, but I have poor communication and conflict resolution skills. Plus, I can't really work that well with other people in high-stress settings. I love collaborating to work on easy projects where we are all on equal footing, but I'm not very good at "thinking on my feet" and need tasks spelled out for me to feel like I will succeed. I also prefer being evaluated often and given praise and constructive criticism for my projects. I do not work well in an environment where I feel like my boss is a "head hunter" who wants to humiliate me for the slightest mistake. I'm highly sensitive and susceptible to bullies because I do not know appropriate ways to handle certain difficult situations with bosses and coworkers, so I need to be in a workplace where my boss and coworkers are understanding and patient. I depend on my fellow employees following the rules and maintaining appropriate boundaries with me, as I'm sometimes unable to define those boundaries myself. This rules out settings where I'm likely to be involved in internal conflict--boss wants to bully employees, employee wants to start drama, employee needs to be friends with boss to get a promotion, etc.
This is repetitive, does not give additional depth to what you've posted previously, and you're not addressing any previous recommendations, nor asking a technical question about how to go about doing so. If you are really so much of a "head ramming wall" person that you do not understand the other posters' frustration with your continuous restatement of the same scenario, then it is no wonder you are facing such difficulties.

Until you receive proper mental health and therapeutic services to at least get out of this rut, you're going to be in circles for years.

Old 06-12-2017, 05:14 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,016 times
No. Thanks for the advice. I guess maybe I should stop asking questions and start reviewing what I can act on now and what I need to discuss with the counselor.

Some of you probably gave me great advice, and it's not the first time I've gotten some really good advice on a forum but didn't write it down or do anything to act on it, and I have no explanation for this really. I guess maybe it goes back to poor planning and organization. Other pieces of advice I felt would maybe work for other people but not for me because those suggestions required prerequisite skills that I do not feel I possess, and, to repeat, I've been really disappointed by careers and avenues that I thought would be perfect for me only to find out that the real job required me to have a personality that I just don't have and can't pretend long term to have. I'm trying to explain why I didn't take some of the advice to heart.

I guess I don't always realize my negative and repetitive thought patterns. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment