Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 07:40 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,950,618 times

Advertisements

Instructional design is heavily populated by women, qualified men who apply almost always get the job.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:49 PM

1,430 posts, read 1,086,091 times
Students are given too much ability to complain in public schools.
That being so, it was my opinion teachers still have the ability to command respect.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:56 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
Thank you, sorry ... forgot about teaching in a detention center. I think you would need to be firm and consistent, principled and respectful, stable and confident. If I were a teacher, I would not work in that type of environment because of the obvious classroom management issues.

Maybe have a look at instructional design. It's a field that is needed by most large industries. The job is to produce interactive learning content for training, safety, and in educational institutions it is assisting faculty with producing engaging learning materials.

Try the free interactive software that is used in instructional design: H5P. To get started with instructional design and produce an example for portfolio, create a 10 minute lesson with one learning outcome. Maybe take a look at the BOPPPS mini-lesson model. There are options. Try starting with a contract while keeping your current job, build from there. Do you use Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator? They are perfect for selling yourself - the difference between two people who have the required skills at a job interview.
The college I attend was offering a degree in ID, but it was a six to eight year program.

Old 05-27-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
The college I attend was offering a degree in ID, but it was a six to eight year program.
That may be true for people without a teaching degree, but anyone with a teaching degree knows how to write a lesson plan, especially one with one learning outcome. For reference of what I mean by one learning outcome, each class should include no more than three learning outcomes. Fold a paper airplane, 10 minutes. Physics of flying, 10 minutes. Space travel Newton, Galileo, et al, 10 minutes. Each presented as a mini lesson with practice and authentic learning for another 10 minutes.

You have a teaching degree, an english degree, a master's degree ... you can do instructional design without another degree. Like I said ... pick up some graphic skills (Adobe), and you should have what it takes.

ID can mean interior design, industrial design, instructional design ...

Old 05-27-2017, 09:11 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,938,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Thanks, but I think I'll look for a free version.
Here is a free version - it's not as lengthy as the for pay one, and doesn't present you with a pre-prepared report:

https://www.truity.com/test/holland-code-career-test

Quote:
Do sites like Indeed really have more than just SPAM and phishing scams? I'm not really familiar with how to get real results from online job searches.
Indeed is a search engine for jobs; it aggregates results from other sources. There's also CareerBuilder which has a good reputation. I presented that to you as an example of the sort of jobs that are out there in the ESL area.

Old 05-27-2017, 09:59 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,869,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I'm not convinced that the OP is a teacher. I've never heard of giving 2 weeks notice to terminate a teaching job. The minimum I've heard of is one month. Furthermore, teachers work through the summer, but they don't actually work. They get paid because the salary is distributed over 12 months, but working (teaching) during the summer holiday months ... that's not realistic. No one in their right mind would quit a teaching job for the summer when the salary rolls in for doing nothing.
Well, yes and no. The teachers in my granddaughter's district have an option of having their salary paid for the 9 months of school (which gives them a larger paycheck every two weeks) or spreading the pay over the 12 months. Some teachers who have a summer job prefer the larger paychecks during the school year. Those who take the summer off appreciate the paychecks that keep coming all summer. Thus, if your salary is $50,000 for the year; its your decision to take it in 9 months or spread out over a year.

Old 05-27-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
Well, yes and no. The teachers in my granddaughter's district have an option of having their salary paid for the 9 months of school (which gives them a larger paycheck every two weeks) or spreading the pay over the 12 months. Some teachers who have a summer job prefer the larger paychecks during the school year. Those who take the summer off appreciate the paychecks that keep coming all summer. Thus, if your salary is $50,000 for the year; its your decision to take it in 9 months or spread out over a year.
Thank you ... I was mistaken. As a teacher of troubled students in a detention center, there is also no summer holidays.

Old 05-28-2017, 02:42 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,286,249 times
Sorry you are having problems at work. I recommend you tough it out the best you can while making plans for another job or career. If they end up firing you, then just let them, because you should be able to collect unemployment while you look for a new job.

The PhD might be an option, but I don't think for now. If there are things about teaching you really enjoy, then look into teaching elsewhere. This might involve moving too.

But if you really wish to get out of teaching then focus on that part of it. But don't quit your job. Even if they have to fire you, don't worry about it. Many people get fired from jobs and it isn't the end of their working life. You got some student complaints, it isn't like you did something terrible. People hear all the time of how hard it can be for teachers, so I don't think an employer in another field is going to care why you got fired because of the reasons you mentioned.

So, take a deep breath. Relax, think about the future and don't worry about this specific job. That's the best thing you can do.

I know there are people who are really into teaching and they would do whatever they need to do, to fight to keep their job and stay in the profession, but if you truly have determined that this isn't for you, don't sweat it.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:10 AM

350 posts, read 333,244 times
Have you considered counseling?

Old 05-28-2017, 06:17 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,698 times
I am seeing the same exact advice given to you many times in multiple threads. You need counseling, particularly someone who is experienced working with people with Aspergers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment