Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 09:55 AM

1,104 posts, read 914,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Civil disobedience of company culture isn't as dangerous as disobeying communism under Stalin...? Is that what you're getting at?
No, I said that companies are free civilians who have earned power without politics or class, and criticized the attempt of the classless society.

"Civil disobedience" is a term for governments, not companies, as although they hold power as civilians, they do not rule.

In the corporate world, you may disobey as you like, as long as you pay the responsible price. In Communism, there's only one price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 10:07 AM

5,901 posts, read 4,395,468 times
Ask yourself, what can you do for the company.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:15 AM

11,865 posts, read 16,958,128 times
I do think some companies take it too far. I worked for an international real estate company that was very cultish. I left after 4 months because it was so strange. They called it a "unique company culture," and it was...just not in a good way.

I just wanted to do my work, but we were constantly interrupted by some "voluntary" activity that was required. And when I told my boss I couldn't complete my work when I was being pulled away for at least an hour a day, she told me we had laptops so that we could finish work at home... No thanks.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:25 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,615,520 times
There is a massive generational component to corporate culture. It was a huge thing in the 80s and 90s, and a lot of those people are still in upper management. You have to remember that in their day, they planned on having a career at the same company, so culture could take hold. Today we plan on a couple years in many cases, so there is no way for culture to stick even if they're still pushing it.

In the companies (the few that exist) where people make a home for themselves, there is still a cultural component. Sometimes it's downright creepy.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:41 AM

28,578 posts, read 18,614,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
There is a massive generational component to corporate culture. It was a huge thing in the 80s and 90s, and a lot of those people are still in upper management. You have to remember that in their day, they planned on having a career at the same company, so culture could take hold. Today we plan on a couple years in many cases, so there is no way for culture to stick even if they're still pushing it.

In the companies (the few that exist) where people make a home for themselves, there is still a cultural component. Sometimes it's downright creepy.
As I mentioned before, it's as much or more a facet of companies considered X-Gen or Millennial culture.

Google, for instance, most definitely has a corporate culture all are expected to conform to. A number of Gen-X small businesses will expect all workers to party together and pretty much be "like" each other.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:25 AM

810 posts, read 1,338,185 times
Companies like Google/Apple have the advantage that anyone who applies there will probably be very similar to the next person, both in terms of politics & general interests.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:28 AM

810 posts, read 1,338,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Hmmmm....nah, I don't really see it. I worked during the dot.com boom of the 1990s and it seemed like companies were even more cultish than they are now.

Most people I've known at most companies I've worked for roll their eyes at "company culture" e-mails and other rah-rah crap sent out by their company's "Chief People Officer." They see that stuff for what it really is...and ignore it.

So do I.
Is that even possible? lol. The "dotcom" boom may be part of the reason why basically every company is like this now.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:20 PM

3,857 posts, read 3,122,665 times
All this corparate culture is pure propaganda, to make the company look like a great place to work for. All this fake hoopla, only to be canned on a whim.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:26 PM

944 posts, read 1,200,407 times
My company recruits it's workforce largely from fraternities/sororities and the military and attempts to instill the idea that the company is the same thing into our sales force.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:31 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,738,322 times
Every company has a culture. It is only in recent years they have decided to attempt to make "culture" an attribute and something positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment