Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:50 AM

2,819 posts, read 2,585,020 times

Advertisements

I am in IT and have never had a job like that. Most have too much to possibly ever get done in a day. But I would second what mr_geek said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 11:53 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,099,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodymen View Post
I sure hope so but then again, I don't think this company will do that coz they are not IT heavy company.
From your description, the job is OK, and you are well qualified. Try learning where you can, and what you can. If you haven't, watch the BBC television series (from years ago) "The IT Crowd" it is entertaining and geeky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi_2020LJQo

The above was one of my favorite scenes.

Old 05-30-2017, 01:50 PM

2,669 posts, read 2,092,040 times
Quote:
I suppose so. Nobody offered me better pay or benefit than here coz I had no professional experience in the field. I suppose I will stay here for work experience time and get few more certifications so I can apply for better roles somewhere else. Well.. who knows.. if I stay here a little longer, they may have a change of heart and teach me some more or promote me for higher position. Guess, all I can do right now is take as much as I can from my current role and self-study till I get a better offer.
You can also try to be super nice to users of these computers and volunteer to help them. You want to create positive publicity for yourself and a source of professional references. Continue studying and improving your self and keep your resume up to date. You do probably need to stay at least two years on this job but after that you can look for new opportunities. Now you would have experience and references and you would be able to get a better position.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:04 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
I recent got hired by private company as IT person. This is basically my job role.

*Manage network(about 100+ computers here at my work place)
*Manage IP phones
*Manage Server
*helpdesk role
*Manage access card & ip camera

so basically.. everything is already set and running when I got here. I get about 2-3 helpdesk call a day and it usually takes me an hour or two at max to solve them. I get ip phone setup or access card problem but that doesn't happen often. There's nothing to manage for server side as it's already set up and my boss doesn't want me to touch it. They just told me if I see any unusual lights pattern on switch or router in server room. So.. busy days aside(very rare occasion), I get to goof off about 6 hours a day out of 8 hours working time. I get bored to death because there's nothing to do and nobody ever gives me any orders or proper training. So i guess my role here is helpdesk + system admin but well.. nobody gave me any training since I got here about 6 months ago.. at first I liked it because I get so much free time and nobody bossed me around but now, I am bored to death and I feel like I am not getting my job experience right. I suppose to be learning all the time and practice IT stuff etc so I can make progress through my career. Damn.. I even brought my books and videos for IT certs to work so I can keep my skills sharp and make a progress. I mean.. I was expecting the company would train me but it just ended up I am training myself. Are all system/network admin job like this? Of course, it's better than work at call center that gets call 24/7 but it still worries me a bit that I am getting too much free time. It's like I am the only one work and act separated from the company. Everyone is busy as hell but only I am free as hell around here. It's like I am not even a member of this company.

If you value your future with this company or in the industry as a whole, you'll invent some useful things to do, that will pad your duties and make use of some of your slack time. Make sure not to step on the toes of your co-workers or infringe on the territory of any of them. If you show that you can take charge of your own job, improve and expand it, the company may see that you have management capabilities and move you to higher positions. I'm not there, so I don't know what those things might be, but if you have the potential, you'll figure out what they are.

Old 05-30-2017, 04:43 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Yeah...don't you know that companies won't send you to training -money out of their pocket that you will take out the door jumping to your next job - they finally caught on to that!

If you have 6 hours a day - train yourself - you should be familiar with all the online resources available...since you're IT and all.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:19 PM

156 posts, read 123,896 times
Some IT jobs are the complete opposite, it's constant work all day long with boss hounding you to hurry up. Just create projects for yourself and ask your boss if there is anything that needs to get done.

Old 05-30-2017, 06:33 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
Quote:
I recent got hired by private company as IT person. This is basically my job role.

*Manage network(about 100+ computers here at my work place)
*Manage IP phones
*Manage Server
*helpdesk role
*Manage access card & ip camera

so basically.. everything is already set and running when I got here. I get about 2-3 helpdesk call a day and it usually takes me an hour or two at max to solve them. I get ip phone setup or access card problem but that doesn't happen often. There's nothing to manage for server side as it's already set up and my boss doesn't want me to touch it. They just told me if I see any unusual lights pattern on switch or router in server room. So.. busy days aside(very rare occasion), I get to goof off about 6 hours a day out of 8 hours working time. I get bored to death because there's nothing to do and nobody ever gives me any orders or proper training. So i guess my role here is helpdesk + system admin but well.. nobody gave me any training since I got here about 6 months ago.. at first I liked it because I get so much free time and nobody bossed me around but now, I am bored to death and I feel like I am not getting my job experience right. I suppose to be learning all the time and practice IT stuff etc so I can make progress through my career. Damn.. I even brought my books and videos for IT certs to work so I can keep my skills sharp and make a progress. I mean.. I was expecting the company would train me but it just ended up I am training myself. Are all system/network admin job like this? Of course, it's better than work at call center that gets call 24/7 but it still worries me a bit that I am getting too much free time. It's like I am the only one work and act separated from the company. Everyone is busy as hell but only I am free as hell around here. It's like I am not even a member of this company.
If time comes to budget cuts or layoffs, you could be on the list to go. Keep yourself busy and take on other tasks or projects. Just some advice from someone who was in your situation years ago.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:40 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,288,516 times
Quote:
...too much free time and want to learn more stuff but I get a feeling he doesn't want to teach me because...
Teach you? You have free time, access to resources such as a computer, plus your own time in the evenings and weekends. Teach yourself!

Old 05-31-2017, 07:08 AM

24 posts, read 19,362 times
yeah.. possibilities are endless here but look..

1. running stress/benchmark test on these old crap computers? non-existence in this company.
2. updating windows? they told me not to upgrade it because it will cause a problem with the company main site that works have to access in order to wrok.
3. update anti-virus? they send group email to employees to update it themselves.
4. wireshark? what's wireshark. this company has never heard of it.
5. check each person's computer to see if it works good or too old. If it's their pc is too old, I have to get approval from my boss to replace pc but he will say, don't do anything until it breaks. Then, you replace it.
6. don't touch anything in server room even though it's a huge mess.
7. back-up? not on my job description and they don't want me to do it on employees computer when they are using it. guess what.. they use it all the time and don't have time for backup coz it will effect their work schedule. make things worse, most of these computers are so slow, it will freeze if I run back-up in the background while they are using it for their work. oh.. as far as I know, nobody ever backed-up since IT was created in this company. Only thing they back up is their server computers but I don't have access to that. Private 2 mens company they hired are managing main server account and they are the ones who set auto back-up on server. I don't think even they do check server regularly because it's been running good for past 5 years or something since they last upgraded the server.

oh.. they gave me one project. make a network map and where each cables are hooked up to where. we have like 4 huge buildings here and comcast or whoever did wiring did their job a decade ago. Cables in each room and server rooms are too far apart and most of wires are behind the wall. There are no blueprints, maps, marking or anything and each server room is a huge mess of cables connected to multiple switches. I have no access to server admin. So How am I suppose to figure out which cable go where in this situation by myself? This size/distance/cables/structures are way beyond for one person to find by himself with no maps. and tone and probe tools are useless. So.. aside this impossible project, what can I do to improve the system here? I mean, everything that requires even a penny, I have to get a approval from my boss and I know he will say no 99% of time. His policy is don't fix/touch it if it's not broken. Seriously.. the company is making good money every year and they are growing fast but as far as IT department goes, it's almost a joke. aww.. well, whatever. at least I got hired and they pay me good with good benefit. Guess I can't really complain. I am grateful.

Last edited by nobodymen; 05-31-2017 at 07:16 AM..

Old 05-31-2017, 07:20 AM

901 posts, read 747,412 times
Quote:
yeah.. possibilities are endless here but look..

1. running stress/benchmark test on these old crap computers? non-existence in this company.
2. updating windows? they told me not to upgrade it because it will cause a problem with the company main site that works have to access in order to wrok.
3. update anti-virus? they send group email to employees to update it themselves.
4. wireshark? what's wireshark. this company has never heard of it.
5. check each person's computer to see if it works good or too old. If it's their pc is too old, I have to get approval from my boss to replace pc but he will say, don't do anything until it breaks. Then, you replace it.
6. don't touch anything in server room even though it's a huge mess.

oh.. they gave me one project. make a network map and where each cables are hooked up to where. we have like 4 huge buildings here and comcast or whoever did wiring did their job a decade ago. Cables in each room and server rooms are too far apart and most of wires are behind the wall. There are no blueprints, maps, marking or anything and each server room is a huge mess of cables connected to multiple switches. I have no access to server admin. So How am I suppose to figure out which cable go where in this situation by myself? This size/distance/cables/structures are way beyond for one person to find by himself with no maps. and tone and probe tools are useless. So.. aside this impossible project, what can I do to improve the system here? I mean, everything that requires even a penny, I have to get a approval from my boss and I know he will say no 99% of time. His policy is don't fix/touch it if it's not broken. o.O
Do you have console or HTTPS access to the switches or routers? Do you have a list of IP addresses to map to MAC addresses? Are you familiar with NMAP. Are you in a windows Domain with access to the DHCP & DNS servers? Are patch panels or wall drops labeled? Tone and probe is never useless, unless you're in an extremely noisy environment and can't hear the tone. These just to get you started, I know every single cable and connection in the buildings I support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment