Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 10:31 PM

855 posts, read 618,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Says who? If you go on the website for any of the FF chains you will see the link for "careers". Even a fast food restaurant has a career path.

And of course not everyone can or is going to study computer science or become an electrician. We still need ditch diggers.

Thank you!

I never understood the notion that such jobs can't be long-term. That's up to the ones
working them. We will decide what we do for a living, thank you kindly.

As someone who ended up in retail because no one else had the good sense to hire me
(and yes, I was more than qualified for the "superior" positions for which I've endlessly
applied), if anyone doesn't like older people such as myself taking "young peoples'" jobs,
they're more than welcome to hire us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 10:34 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,795,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22 View Post
Just because they call it a career doesn't make it one.
Yes it is.

ALL of the executives of McDonalds worked their way up through the ranks.

Just for starters.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:37 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,685,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kophi View Post
Thank you!

I never understood the notion that such jobs can't be long-term. That's up to the ones
working them. We will decide what we do for a living, thank you kindly.

Counter worker at Taco Bell for a long term career? I feel badly for anyone who would make that choice. For temporary work, yeah, sure. But long term?

Retail is different because it gives people the chance to earn commission.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:49 PM

15,952 posts, read 20,916,161 times
Quote:
Counter worker at Taco Bell for a long term career? I feel badly for anyone who would make that choice. For temporary work, yeah, sure. But long term?

Retail is different because it gives people the chance to earn commission.
Commission has nothing to do with it.
Many of my non commission managers retired as multi millionaires, many of the current managers in my low COL area earn 100K yr +/_
I don't think he meant working the front line was a career choice, but it can be the first step to a career in the service industry. I know several people who worked their way up from str mgr to corporate VIPS.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:51 PM

3,137 posts, read 2,685,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Commission has nothing to do with it.
Many of my non commission managers retired as multi millionaires, many of the current managers in my low COL area earn 100K yr +/_
I don't think he meant working the front line was a career choice, but it can be the first step to a career in the service industry. I know several people who worked their way up from str mgr to corporate VIPS.
These are fast food jobs? Which is what I was discussing in the OP.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
These are fast food jobs? Which is what I was discussing in the OP.
Fast food is a service job, like any other service job, they all work the same basic way. My twenty something son makes 45K as an assistant mgr after starting in fast food a few years ago, should he want to go higher up the food chain it's a viable choice.

Old 05-30-2017, 10:59 PM

855 posts, read 618,799 times
Quote:
Counter worker at Taco Bell for a long term career? I feel badly for anyone who would make that choice.
If it was their choice, why feel bad for them?

-

Old 05-30-2017, 11:08 PM

2,108 posts, read 1,297,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Says who? If you go on the website for any of the FF chains you will see the link for "careers". Even a fast food restaurant has a career path.

And of course not everyone can or is going to study computer science or become an electrician.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tassity22
Just because they call it a career doesn't make it one.
Why can't you make the FF job to be a career? If a young adult works in the FF restaurant and he think it's not a bad job, he works hard, he provides good services to customers, and his higher up likes him, and he wants to move up, he could be a supervisor and then manager eventually, and he could open a franchise if he's really ambitious.

It's all about being responsible, working hard, having self motivation and ambition, knowing to to connect with the top, you can make anything to a career or business.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
It's all about being responsible, working hard, having self motivation and ambition, knowing to to connect with the top, you can make anything to a career or business.
Exactly.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:11 PM

16,061 posts, read 26,640,105 times
It could be for extra money. My husband is currently not working. So I am thinking of getting a part time job to help. It could be retail or fast food. That is happening more and more with many people I know.

My son had a hard time getting hired. He went to the small mom and pop places and had luck there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment