Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 08:17 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,030,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler77 View Post
Did you mention your "fragile health" during the interview? I've come across many co-workers that "suddenly" develop allergies, sensitivity to light and temperature changes, and lingering perfume when it suits them. 99 out of 100 times it is because they are excuses to cover their PERSONAL disappointment about their working environment. If you didn't mention your health and allergies during your interview, then you really need to re-think about your receptionist position. Asking visitors/clients NOT to wear perfume or NOT to have lingering cigarette smoke goes beyond "reasonable accomodations" and is just downright catty. if someone is smoking in your presence, you have every right to POLITELY ask them to smoke outside the confines of the office. And you should have DEFINITELY disclosed your hearing loss during your interview/application. Reception involves a lot of phone work, and relating to others whose first language may not be English.
The fastest way to not get a job is to mention you have health issues. And no, I do not mention my hearing loss. I do not even mention it to friends/boyfriends for the most part, unless it comes up that they need to know. I was born with allergies and asthma. I have many years of medical documentation to prove it is not a new condition.

I was hired to be the accounting assistant. The receptionist part came with the accounting assistant part. Thankfully, we do not have many calls. Maybe 10 a day.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I can relate to your allergies and know first-hand how difficult it when exposed to the toxins and not able to get clear of them.

I used to keep a small fan on my desk in hopes it would divert the stench away from me as much as possible, and it did help some.

Back in the 80s I was assigned a project and the coworker chosen to work with me wore Musk cologne. As tactfully as possible I explained my sensitivity to fragrances and asked if he would refrain from wearing it while we worked together. He was very accommodating and what was amazing is that about a week into the project he thanked me and said he hadn't had one migraine since he stopped wearing the cologne, and in fact, had thrown the container in the trash.
It is nice that he was such a gem. Even better that it helped him also.

People are very selfish with their attitudes. I certainly would not want to do something that harmed someone else. Perfume seems like such a trivial item. Does one really need to wear it in order to function? And does it have to be worn so heavily?

Old 05-31-2017, 09:42 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post

People are very selfish with their attitudes. I certainly would not want to do something that harmed someone else. Perfume seems like such a trivial item. Does one really need to wear it in order to function? And does it have to be worn so heavily?
Some people don't have any adverse reactions to the chemicals in fragrances and maybe they think others would enjoy the scent as well (just guessing of course).

I've heard that sometimes people wear it to mask their smoking and/or perhaps they have urinary incontinence and try to mask that as well.

Hard to say really, I will say that before harsh chemicals were used to manufacture various fragrances (when natural oils were used), I had no adverse reactions and used to wear perfume (but never bathed in it).

With more and more being, or becoming, allergic to fragrances one would hope that employers would implement 'no fragrance' policies, the same as 'no smoking' policies.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:48 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Sounds like you might need a new job or wear a mask or something if you are that sensitive to the scent of the public.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:09 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,658,856 times
Quote:

I don't think people are being selfish in this instance. You have an issue that is outside of the norm. Therefore the person who must adapt is you. You cannot reasonably expect that everyone else be accommodating to you, but instead must understand that we all have to adapt to society around us.

Thinking back... I believe we discussed this when you had your house for sale and couldn't see why people would be mad for you working on the home at night when most were sleeping. You have to learn to adapt to society. It stinks that in this instance it is a health issue, but as others have said if you neglected to tell your employer that you had an issue you can't really expect them to change their policies to suit one person.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:16 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,398,612 times
Quote:
And no, I do not mention my hearing loss. I do not even mention it to friends/boyfriends for the most part, unless it comes up that they need to know. I was born with allergies and asthma. I have many years of medical documentation to prove it is not a new condition.
Don't you hang out in bars at night? That doesn't affect your asthma? How do you hear with the music blaring?

Old 05-31-2017, 10:16 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,518,461 times
Mod cut: Quoted post deleted.

Don't work at a place where you deal with customers who wear perfume and / or smoke. Probably want an office job not dealing with customers.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-31-2017 at 12:44 PM..

Old 05-31-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Don't you hang out in bars at night? That doesn't affect your asthma? How do you hear with the music blaring?
I occasionally go into bars, but I live in a state that smoking in public is prohibited, which includes bars. My employer prohibits smoking anywhere near the building, and has a designated smoking area in the parking lot. Visitors act put out though when you point it out the smoke zone to them. And I do not go to bars where music is blaring. I do not find it appealing.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Don't work at a place where you deal with customers who wear perfume and / or smoke. Probably want an office job not dealing with customers.
Ah yes that would be my ideal job. But for some reason, all employers like to put me front & center to deal with the general public.

At least I am not now handling money. I was forever getting sick touching cash.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:40 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,334 times
Get a desk top fan. When the stinky people come in, turn it on and open the door. It will blow the stinky smells out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.