Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 11:56 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I often see the advice of find something no one else wants to do, do it well and in a few years you have a career. However, they are so male centric and require strength that most women can't sustain.
What are the equivalent positions for women that don't require school or a big financial commitment but provide a good income? The only thing that comes to mind is a cleaning service.
Seems like it's not as easy for women.
What are the "male-centric" ones, pray tell? Sounds like a cop out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 11:58 AM

901 posts, read 747,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yup, in b4 "da patriarchy is keeping us down." Onto our safe spaces we go

Old 06-03-2017, 12:03 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
Yup, in b4 "da patriarchy is keeping us down." Onto our safe spaces we go
I'm a woman. 5'6" and 130lb was doing construction...have done all kinds of yard work, including unloading (by hand) 2 tons of Mexican river rock (this was for my own yard), have driven big trucks, done cleaning/janitorial, worked in an auto body shop...so I'm just wondering...outside of being a lumberjack or crab fisherman or whatever (and I think there even are women who do that), what are these guy-only burly man jobs?

Old 06-03-2017, 12:06 PM

901 posts, read 747,296 times
Quote:
I'm a woman. 5'6" and 130lb was doing construction...have done all kinds of yard work, including unloading (by hand) 2 tons of Mexican river rock (this was for my own yard), have driven big trucks, done cleaning/janitorial, worked in an auto body shop...so I'm just wondering...outside of being a lumberjack or crab fisherman or whatever (and I think there even are women who do that), what are these guy-only burly man jobs?
The foreman on the concrete crew we hired to pave my companies driveway was a small petite woman who I watched sling concrete like no ones business.....I guess she should have found something not so
"male-centric"

Old 06-03-2017, 12:11 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I think the idea is to do something and not to worry that it has so much prestige. My daughter who has a degree in marketing from a four year college took a job recruiting nurses and taking care of the schedule of pink ladies and candy stripers in the hospital makes about four times what she started out as because the hospital she was working for paid for a two years nursing school which she went to while she worked the other job full time. I won't share what she does now but with the nurses training and the fact they knew she already had the four year degree, she is in management.

My granddaughter is planning to be a physician's assistant but her job right now is a CNA at a rest home. One of her duties is to help senior citizens to the bathroom and give those who cannot do it themselves, a sponge bath. One of the requirements for a PA is hours of patient care. She is getting training and making a grand $15 an hour and not complaining she isn't making enough while she looks for where she will complete her PA training.

People look at those wonderful jobs and never think how much a person went through to get there. Most people don't start out making $100,000 a year.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:49 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:
A cop out would insinuate that the woman won't work or avoids it.
I'm sure there's a fair number of women in typically male dominated jobs and vice versa so Rocky can step back with the safe space crap.
Some examples I've read here are pest control, port a potty set up and service, excavation, building sea walls, contractors, tow trucks/plow trucks, chimney sweep, roofing, landscaping,there's more but I'm not going to search.
Why does everything have to turn into an argument or some political thing? Why can't you just acknowledge that there are different routes? It doesn't mean that you need to argue that you know 10 women who carry 100 lbs of concrete for 8 hours straight.
My question wasn't anti men. It was explicitly asking for comparable routes for women while acknowledging that most women can't work construction for 25 years. Similarly, most men don't want to clean houses for 25 years.

Old 06-03-2017, 12:56 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,021,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think the idea is to do something and not to worry that it has so much prestige. My daughter who has a degree in marketing from a four year college took a job recruiting nurses and taking care of the schedule of pink ladies and candy stripers in the hospital makes about four times what she started out as because the hospital she was working for paid for a two years nursing school which she went to while she worked the other job full time. I won't share what she does now but with the nurses training and the fact they knew she already had the four year degree, she is in management.

My granddaughter is planning to be a physician's assistant but her job right now is a CNA at a rest home. One of her duties is to help senior citizens to the bathroom and give those who cannot do it themselves, a sponge bath. One of the requirements for a PA is hours of patient care. She is getting training and making a grand $15 an hour and not complaining she isn't making enough while she looks for where she will complete her PA training.

People look at those wonderful jobs and never think how much a person went through to get there. Most people don't start out making $100,000 a year.
Her husband (my brother) is actually a nurse and almost done with medical school. That's why she's trying to get on a plan bc life has revolved around his school and around the time he's more stable will be when the owner retires. She's really smart but between kids and his school, her life is on the back burner. She doesn't mind bc she loves the flower shop and the owner is very flexible.
I don't think she'd be interested in nursing but she has mentioned running a group home. Her uncle has cerebral palsy and she volunteers sometimes at the home he lives in.
Thanks for all the kind words and good ideas! Xo

Old 06-03-2017, 01:14 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Well, how many female deep-sea fisherman or lumberjacks do you see? Plumber, electricians? Maybe a few but not many. Firemen?

I hear OTR truck-driving can be lucrative. Women can do that.

For me, I was always embarrassed to admit I was a waitress for the last 9 years of my working life. But in a nice resort, I made $30 per hour so was not ashamed of that. And half the year off with unemployment.

Maybe a catering business?

Old 06-03-2017, 01:16 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,647,873 times
HVAC, plumber, welder

Old 06-03-2017, 01:32 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,475,795 times
There are a lot of men who don't want to work in female-dominated fields.

While most correctional officers are men, a good number of them are women. Mostly women tend to work in the areas that house women. Women are required for searches of female inmates. You only need a high school diploma, government jobs usually have great benefits, and there are opportunities to advance in rank.

I believe half of juvenile detention officers are women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment