Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 01:40 PM

944 posts, read 1,209,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codergirl View Post
You make your own decisions.No one is telling you to stay where you live. If you really had wanted to move away and take a gamble on finding a better job somewhere else...you have had 3 years to do it while working at your job.There are a lot of people who would be willing to switch with you right now.Be thankful for what you have because you might not have it the next day.It seems to me that your desire to move away isn't strong enough for you to take a chance in leaving that good job of yours. I say start making a plan on the steps you need to do in order to leave the city and job you love.Take advantage of that great vacation and pick a place that you would love to live and focus on the job market in that area.Nothing will happen if you don't make a plan to do something about it.
I don't know... so many people on this forum are miserable in their jobs. Society places such a high value on liking your job that the idea of leaving a job you enjoy is absolutely terrifying, especially when the alternative is the great unknown.

I am not as unhappy as the OP, but I have been consumed for a while now with the idea of moving. The only thing keeping me from committing to it is the sense that my job is too good to give up. It's a scary place to be, because it means sacrificing one for the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2017, 01:52 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Unless your job tasks are extraordinary (e.g. I watched this video where people design miniature scale villages to use in animated movies like Kubo) or specific to the area where you live (e.g., you're a dolphin trainer and you work at Sea World in San Diego), I suspect you are going to be able to find a similar job elsewhere. We wouldn't know because you didn't tell us what you do.

There's also the situation where you get really lucky and make a much higher salary than most people that do more or less exactly what you do (e.g. Civil Engineers who work for the City of LA make six figures after only a handful of years despite the fact that most of their peers make much less working much more difficult jobs). Again, only you would know that.

Other than that, if your job is pretty standard, I suspect you'd be just as happy somewhere else.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:09 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Here's what you do: GO on a 1-2 week vacation. Rent a car. Drive through different cities. Sometimes the grass is not greener on the other side. Sometimes you move and it's a mistake. You need to find out and seeing other places will help you make your decision. Make a planner first. Decide the places you are interested; weather, cost of living, etc. I used to have this program on the computer where you entered everything you loved and UP popped the cities best for you!

Old 06-06-2017, 04:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
The reason you don't like it is because you've never had to deal with the filth and nastiness of so many cities. You need to take some time and visit ANYWHERE else and you'll realize how nice your little burg is. (I'm hoping to transfer up there. )

That said, you have to keep your eyes peeled, work on your resume, if you can't transfer with your company then apply to other jobs. But I wouldn't give up what you've got for anything less. The ladder is for climbing.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie734 View Post
Ignore all the "you're the problem" BS. Sometimes, locations suck. Sometimes your hometown isn't where you belong, it's just an accident of birth. You should pick a place and find a job and then go. You do not need friends or families to crash with, you do not need to live there for 6 months beforehand. Don't be unhappy based on things that can be changed.

It seems like your hometown doesn't suit your goals or lifestyle or ambition. If you don't fit in with the people around you and never have, joining groups is just going to serve them back up to you. Sometimes a change of surroundings can do wonders. It's not a cure-all, you have to work to make friends anywhere, but it is a start.
Agree!

Old 06-06-2017, 06:30 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
OP - I know where you're coming from. I live in CT and it's been gloomy, rainy and cold here for months. I also hate winter. I do however love my clients.

I am not in a position where I can take a lot of trips. I wish I had when I had a regular FT job, benefits and a new car! Since you do, definitely explore some other areas.

I'm doing as much exploring as I can on paper right now, and when I narrow a few places down I will visit. I'm also working on expanding my remote client base. But I really wish I'd worked less and explored more years ago.

Old 06-07-2017, 02:04 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
I had the opposite problem:too much sun. Between April 1 - September 30 for the ten years I lived in the Tri-Cities of Washington, it rained (drum roll) once! For 5 of those years, I loved my job, after that it was all down-hill job-wise. I should have moved to Boulder, CO 5 or so years sooner.

Then there was Mpls-St. Paul, for I can't remember how many years, we had 90+ consecutive days where it never reached 0 deg C (32 deg F). I still remember how it felt waiting for the bus, clad in a snowmobile suit, icicles hanging growing on my beard. It could have been a lot worse. Try Park Rapids, MN!

Old 06-07-2017, 07:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Move. But you need to be financially responsible and make sure you get insurance with a new job.

More life experience will help you in the long run.

Old 06-07-2017, 07:36 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
OP you make it sound like you're job is unique in that it offers medical insurance. I'm pretty sure many full time jobs offer health insurance so I don't think you will need to make 2x the pay to survive in a different location. I've been trying to relocate for awhile and am willing to take significantly less, but my move would be to a much lower cost of living area.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:12 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Living in cold dreary climate - I can't imagine. Best thing I did was move to CA 50 yrs ago from PA. Sounds like you live in CO...snows a lot and great if one loves to ski.

Days without SUN, yikes...we are going thru June Gloom, but know it will be over and back to the constant sunny days.

Wish I could offer help, but you need to make your decision.
I know OP already revealed her location but wanted to point out that CO is far from dreary. In fact it's one of the sunniest states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment