Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 05:39 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
The only thing I can pinpoint is the fact that he enjoys talking down to people, especially women, and I wouldn't let him do that to me. When he tried to belittle me I would stand my ground. That's when I started to feel like a target.
She identified this as the turning point in his manner of relating to her. This is being assertive, drawing boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2017, 09:54 PM

876 posts, read 813,124 times
Default Happens all the time

And there is no defense against a manager who is a passive aggressive twit, other than having a current resume and marketable skills.

Sometimes if there is no lateral move available in a reasonable amount of time you just have to start the job hunt again and hope the axe doesn't come down on you before you get the heck out of that situation.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:59 PM

600 posts, read 566,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Being assertive doesn't have anything to do with "knowing it all", necessarily. She said when he tried to belittle her, she "stood her ground". We don't know what that means, exactly, but it sounds like she in some way indicated she wished to be spoken to respectfully. She'd told the boss from her first days there that she was new at the type of work they do, so making any kind of statement or hint that she "knew it all" wouldn't have happened. You're way off the mark in your assumptions.
Plus, you're only getting her side of the story. And if you look at her previous threads. You'll see she's on something.
How many boss's has she had in the past month? LOL

Old 06-10-2017, 07:21 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
When I started my job I had no experience in the field. My manager knew this and ensured me there would be training and he would support me. He gave me certain tasks to start off with, and I did them very well with minor guidance. I had gotten positive reviews from the people I was working with, so I thought I was on the right track. Even he said I was.

Then, something changed about three months in. I had a meeting with my manager and out of the blue, he changed his tone. He said that what I had accomplished so far was "just ok", as in anybody could do it. I was very confused by this, considering I had completed everything he had assigned me and had done it well. When I asked him what else he was wanting or expecting me to do that I wasn't doing, he could not come up with a specific answer.

After that, he started assigning me things that were FAR over my head, things that people who had been with the company 30-plus years were doing. When I would go to him with questions (understandable), he would treat me like I was stupid for having to ask them. It was like all of a sudden, his support had vanished and I couldn't do anything right, despite the fact that I was still new and learning. I felt like I was being backed into a corner. Also, every meeting I had with him he would sit there and tell me about HIS accomplishments and past promotions....for the whole length of the meeting. He would tell me how he was chosen for this and that, and how his success came so easily for him. NO talk about me, my progress, or my future.

I finally confronted him about the way he was speaking to me and treating me. He apologized and backed down. Then followed a gradual decrease in assignments that came my way, and now I just got the word that he is transferring me to another department!

I haven't even been there one year yet. Doesn't this all seem a little odd? Was I sabotaged?
I'm a bit confused with what you have written. If sounds like you were hired into a position for which you had no skills. That doesn't really make sense, but let's assume that the company decided to hire you even though you were not qualified for the position.

You expected training, and must have received training since you were able to complete the basic tasks during the first three months in the job. That much is obvious since you had no qualifications for the position, and then were able to complete basic tasks.

It sounds like you were expected to then progress beyond the basic tasks after three months. You perceived this next step in the job to be "FAR over [your] head". You state that your manager no longer spent time helping you understand how to complete those tasks. I think you need to realize that your manager spent three months of his time helping you do your job. Isn't it normal that he should be able to hand that off to you and spend less time helping you, and more time doing his own job? He mentored you for three months, and expected you to take the ball and run with it at month four. If you were unable to do that, then he has to make a decision about whether it's best for the company to continue mentoring you as part of his job, or decide that you are unable to fulfil the requirements of the position and transfer you to a department where you are better suited.

I don't think you were sabotaged, I think you were identified as unsuitable for the position because you were unable to complete the tasks of the role without ongoing assistance. You seem to agree that you were unable to complete the required tasks of the role, so my question for you is: are you unhappy that you no longer have to do a job that was too challenging for you?

Old 06-10-2017, 12:01 PM

633 posts, read 1,012,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know about sabotaged but clearly he did not like you for some reason.

You mention that after 3 months in, and out of the blue, he suddenly changes his tone and started acting like you weren't doing a good enough job, then belittling you. I find it hard to believe this happened out of the blue with no warning.

Surely you did or said something, no matter how minor? Or maybe he just didn't think you were a fit any longer. You didn't mention anything about your coworkers.

At any rate, I would think about moving on from that job regardless. There are no laws against managers acting on a whim or being rude or unfair.

^^^ THAT

So what is the problem, OP? Your boss is transferring you to another department, not firing you.

Be grateful that he didn't fire you on a whim. Also be grateful that you are no longer working for someone who obviously didn't like you.

Tips going forward - time to evaluate yourself and YOUR PART. Are you chatty at work? Talk about personal stuff? Do you come in on time? Do you do the basic minimum or do you try to do over and above?

Food for thought. You pissed him off - best to take a look at exactly how you behaved every day and what went down, because there is no doubt in my mind it will happen again at some point in your life.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:39 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
Quote:
The only thing I can pinpoint is the fact that he enjoys talking down to people, especially women, and I wouldn't let him do that to me. When he tried to belittle me I would stand my ground. That's when I started to feel like a target.
No wonder the boss wants you gone. You are one of those people, that are going to go toe to toe when someone is trying to tell you are wrong, that you are not keeping up our end, etc., etc. You have a combative attitude with your boss. Lady, you are gone and still do not realize it.

It appears your boss, tried to work with you to get you into the job for 3 months. And you were never able to move up from basic assignments to where you were a valuable member of the team. You were still at rung #1, when you should have been up to rung #3 doing a higher level job.

This is very common in the real work world. You have a 90 day period to get up to speed and do your job, and have learned enough to do more complicated parts of the job. You are still back at the starting level, either because you do not have the ability to learn to move beyond level 1 OR, you have no initiative to progress to a higher level. Usually at 90 days the person that is unable to move beyond the basics given their final pay check. Your boss is being kind, and wants to move you to a different department where you may be more able to handle the job.

You are the problem, not the boss.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:11 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
No wonder the boss wants you gone. You are one of those people, that are going to go toe to toe when someone is trying to tell you are wrong, that you are not keeping up our end, etc., etc. You have a combative attitude with your boss. Lady, you are gone and still do not realize it.

It appears your boss, tried to work with you to get you into the job for 3 months. And you were never able to move up from basic assignments to where you were a valuable member of the team. You were still at rung #1, when you should have been up to rung #3 doing a higher level job.

This is very common in the real work world. You have a 90 day period to get up to speed and do your job, and have learned enough to do more complicated parts of the job. You are still back at the starting level, either because you do not have the ability to learn to move beyond level 1 OR, you have no initiative to progress to a higher level. Usually at 90 days the person that is unable to move beyond the basics given their final pay check. Your boss is being kind, and wants to move you to a different department where you may be more able to handle the job.

You are the problem, not the boss.
That's what I was wondering too - 90 days is long enough to know the job well enough to carry on. It is lucky to be transferred rather than eliminated.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:35 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it's always the boss's fault on this forum isn't it? never the poster that did something wrong?
?
Lol. ALWAYS.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I'm a bit confused with what you have written. If sounds like you were hired into a position for which you had no skills. That doesn't really make sense, but let's assume that the company decided to hire you even though you were not qualified for the position.

You expected training, and must have received training since you were able to complete the basic tasks during the first three months in the job. That much is obvious since you had no qualifications for the position, and then were able to complete basic tasks.

It sounds like you were expected to then progress beyond the basic tasks after three months. You perceived this next step in the job to be "FAR over [your] head". You state that your manager no longer spent time helping you understand how to complete those tasks. I think you need to realize that your manager spent three months of his time helping you do your job. Isn't it normal that he should be able to hand that off to you and spend less time helping you, and more time doing his own job? He mentored you for three months, and expected you to take the ball and run with it at month four. If you were unable to do that, then he has to make a decision about whether it's best for the company to continue mentoring you as part of his job, or decide that you are unable to fulfil the requirements of the position and transfer you to a department where you are better suited.

I don't think you were sabotaged, I think you were identified as unsuitable for the position because you were unable to complete the tasks of the role without ongoing assistance. You seem to agree that you were unable to complete the required tasks of the role, so my question for you is: are you unhappy that you no longer have to do a job that was too challenging for you?
No, that's not what happened. She said that suddenly, after 3 months, he started giving her assignments that were at the level of people who had been at the company for decades, not for newbies. He knew he had hired someone with no experience in the field. The question is, why did he do that? And why did he support her for 3 months, then suddenly abandon her, and deliberately assign her tasks he knew she couldn't do?

Old 08-09-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
That's what I was wondering too - 90 days is long enough to know the job well enough to carry on. It is lucky to be transferred rather than eliminated.
Not to carry on at a level that advanced employees who have been with the company 20-30 years are working.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment