Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:58 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, that's not what happened. She said that suddenly, after 3 months, he started giving her assignments that were at the level of people who had been at the company for decades, not for newbies. He knew he had hired someone with no experience in the field. The question is, why did he do that? And why did he support her for 3 months, then suddenly abandon her, and deliberately assign her tasks he knew she couldn't do?
Thank you Ruth. It was a sudden switch and it was deliberate and manipulative. He tried to pull all sorts of crap with me. I do believe it was triggered by the fact that I stood up for myself and dared be a person instead of the object he wanted me to be. I wasn't supposed to have a voice...silly me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2018, 03:40 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,845,640 times
Update on this, yes, it turns out he was sabotaging me and he had done it to other women before me. And yes, it absolutely had to do with me being a woman. Based on his past, his goal was to have a sexual relationship with me and when I started standing up for myself, he knew I wouldn't be easily controlled/manipulated and so he tried to force me into a submissive position.

He ended up being reported to HR and they have their eye on him now, which of course probably means nothing because he's a "golden boy" of the company, but at least he's on their radar.

Old 08-02-2018, 09:16 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,884,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post
Update on this, yes, it turns out he was sabotaging me and he had done it to other women before me. And yes, it absolutely had to do with me being a woman. Based on his past, his goal was to have a sexual relationship with me and when I started standing up for myself, he knew I wouldn't be easily controlled/manipulated and so he tried to force me into a submissive position.

He ended up being reported to HR and they have their eye on him now, which of course probably means nothing because he's a "golden boy" of the company, but at least he's on their radar.
I find it amazing there are Male managers that still do this in this era. And surely he has Women coming to him just because of his position in the company, so why does he have to abuse direct subordinates?

Old 08-02-2018, 09:47 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Do you work for FEMA???

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.1f8715f794b4

Old 08-02-2018, 09:56 AM

9,454 posts, read 5,216,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stava View Post

My 2 cents: If he's their "golden boy," and they know about this stuff, and do nothing, then that's a place I would not want to work. I don't care how much they paid me.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:38 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,765,228 times
Funny how the OP was jumped on when it turned out the boss WAS an actual jerk.

Old 08-02-2018, 10:59 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't know about sabotaged but clearly he did not like you for some reason.

You mention that after 3 months in, and out of the blue, he suddenly changes his tone and started acting like you weren't doing a good enough job, then belittling you. I find it hard to believe this happened out of the blue with no warning.

Surely you did or said something, no matter how minor? Or maybe he just didn't think you were a fit any longer. You didn't mention anything about your coworkers.

At any rate, I would think about moving on from that job regardless. There are no laws against managers acting on a whim or being rude or unfair.
W/o reading all the other posts, I wonder if your boss had a conversation with HIS boss who made some observations about you, your lack of experience, or questioning why your boss hired you

Your boss might have felt threatened and decided to cut you loose

Old 08-02-2018, 11:37 AM

741 posts, read 590,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I find it amazing there are Male managers that still do this in this era. And surely he has Women coming to him just because of his position in the company, so why does he have to abuse direct subordinates?
This is how it works with people like this. In the beginning it’s little transgressions that they can talk themselves into believing aren’t wrong. Then it becomes bigger transgressions. Over time, they come to believe they’re above the rules. Finally, they’ve gotten away with it for so long, that they believe they’re untouchable and/or too smart to ever get caught. That’s why it still happens, even in the current “me too” climate.

Old 08-02-2018, 12:42 PM

25 posts, read 18,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deposite View Post
Funny how the OP was jumped on when it turned out the boss WAS an actual jerk.
That's what I observed. However, some people here have spent their whole City-Data career making snarky comments, engaging in arguments for the sake of belittling people.

But, tis' the internet, where miserable souls rest.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:25 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
From a person that has many, many years of management experience, in the corporate world, I was Division Sales Manager over half the country, lets look at as the manager looks at it.

1: She was hired, and had full support for 90 days. This is the normal period that an employee has it easy, as they are learning the job.

2: At the end of 90 days, she was given more difficult assignments, and has no idea of what she is doing.

ANALYSIS: The company and her manager, expects a certain level of capability to do her work after 90 day training period. This in the management minds, is not acceptable as employees in the past have been able to do the job. The OP is not capable of doing those duties yet.

She is not being sabotaged. She is being given the assignments, that the company knows from the past experience she should be capable of doing. The company feels she is a slow learner, and may never be able to do the job she was hired to do. Upper management has probably told her manager to start cracking down and expect her to start doing the job she was hired to do, or get rid of her. She simply cannot expect to only doing easy assignments, but start to do the job she was hired to do.

She is now in the sink or swim phase of her employment. The is being given the jobs that she was hired to do, and either she quickly catches up with her duties, or the company will find someone else to do the job. For all practical purposes the OP is still unable to do the job she was hired to do, and is being evaluated to finds out is she will ever be able to do her real job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment