Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 PM

285 posts, read 225,122 times

Advertisements

I haven't ever heard of anyone other than a worker bee accused of having a "bad attitude." That label is always applied to the guy at the bottom of the totem pole.

Btw, in my experience, I'd say at least 8 times out of 10 a "bad attitude" is a direct result of poor treatment from a supervisor.

In fact, at my last job, a woman was fired for yelling back at a manager who would belittle and talk to people like toddlers. The two practically had a shouting match, and the worker was the one who was fired of course. After she was gone, we were told she was fired for having a "bad attitude."

So standing up for yourself and not taking crap from people is having a bad attitude? That doesn't make a lot of sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 08:28 PM

811 posts, read 622,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post

So standing up for yourself and not taking crap from people is having a bad attitude?
Yes.
Never acceptable to "talk back" to an authority figure.

Two choices: Answer in a civilized manner or quit.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:30 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Join a union, and call the steward over if you're supervisor has a problem with your "attitude".

What's awesome about stewards is they stand as equals under the law to deal with management, that means within reason, they can use colorful language and cannot be disciplined for it.

Old 06-11-2017, 09:19 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
So standing up for yourself and not taking crap from people is having a bad attitude? That doesn't make a lot of sense.
2 wrongs don't make a right...

even if you get yelled at, you aren't clear to yell back

employee put up with a bad boss, or find a new job; employer can put up with a bad employee or find a new employee

Putting up with a bad boss, employee still gets paid, but a boss putting up with a bad employee loses money

so explain why someone would keep paying for a bad employee?

Old 06-11-2017, 09:33 PM

1,098 posts, read 1,866,174 times
Boot polisher bosses are the worst.

I feel your pain OP, if people can't take constructive criticism why the hell are they in management? I swear people get a title and think they're untouchable.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:06 PM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I've seen managers with horrible attitudes, but poop always rolls downhill, until you become retired, now or in the future.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:53 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elna Rae View Post
Yes.
Never acceptable to "talk back" to an authority figure.

Two choices: Answer in a civilized manner or quit.
Exactamundo.

Unfortunately, some will never get it.

It's not about 'fighting back' and 'standing up for yourself.'

It is NEVER acceptable to raise your voice to someone to the point you are shouting at each other in front of others, especially a manager. That is insubordination and disrespect of the highest order, and an unsafe work environment.

I realize managers can be jerks, and it can be frustrating to work for unprofessional ones. But that is never an excuse to lose control like that, especially these days as corporations are keen on workplace violence and safety. And what did the lady prove? Absolutely nothing, and now she has to deal with why she was let go. Let me tell you, I wouldn't want to be fired from a job because I screamed at a manager (and sorry folks, there are NO rules against a former employer saying whatever they want about you to future employers, as long as it is true).

That some think what the lady did is acceptable shows how far out of touch with reality some have gotten.

Old 06-12-2017, 12:27 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Well, you could always go to HR and lodge a harassment complaint against the manager. If the employee is over 40, they could say they think they're being discriminated against. Might not get the manager fired, but they'd probably talk to him/her about their methods.

Point still being, no, you don't yell back. You could calmly say, "Please don't yell at me, it make me feel harassed." Preferably in front of other witnesses. Then later, go file a complaint with HR. Or the Labor Board, if that's an option where you live.

This is how you fight back.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:16 AM

601 posts, read 1,451,774 times
The disgruntled fired employee sometimes come back and go "postal". This term was used quite a bit back in the day but the meaning of what it means is alive and well today.

Old 06-12-2017, 01:18 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,287,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
In fact, at my last job, a woman was fired for yelling back at a manager who would belittle and talk to people like toddlers. The two practically had a shouting match, and the worker was the one who was fired of course. After she was gone, we were told she was fired for having a "bad attitude."
Good. That's unprofessional behavior and doesn't belong in the work place. There are other ways to deal with things far more constructive than behaving like a spoiled child. What did she think was going to happen? Earn the respect of upper management because she was upset? Sorry, the world isn't a Disney family film. If you crash into someone's office and demand to see the boss, the big cheese doesn't come out and tell the gatekeeper, "That's ok, let her in" and then has a heart to heart conversation of mutual respect because he admires her feisty speech.

She did have a bad attitude, and was unprofessional. She should be fired for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment