Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:16 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
It is easier to find a job when you have a job.
While generally true, it still varies enough that I'd no longer say this holds for the large majority of the time (let's say 90%), but closer to say 60% of the time.

While it's possible to job search while working, some are better off not working, since finding work can be a full time job in itself. Also, if you're a professional, but doing a job that's not related to that line of work, it could be detrimental in time (opportunity cost of not getting other stuff done) while in money too (it costs so much to commute while pays so little... why bother?).
I've heard of some people say "take any job" just so you can honestly say you're currently employed. Well, if you're a lawyer, computer programmer, engineer, nurse, etc., they're not going to count your time folding sweaters, brewing coffee, stacking boxes, bringing out plates of food, or driving Uber as work experience. You're not better off then the person who sat a home.
It's a roll of the dice, as some employers do see such jobs as a positive, so no way to know ahead of time unless someone can give you the advance scope on who the interviewer and HM will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2017, 09:23 AM

1,166 posts, read 876,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
It's like the ministry of propaganda here for the rich. Keep the poor slaves working, in fear of their jobs, wasting their lives.
Amen!!! Keep the peons broke and in constant fear and you can get away with anything. That's the corporate mentality.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
You didn't read OP's entire post. He/she said "if you can afford to quit it," meaning you wouldn't be destitute if you were unemployed. And my answer is no, OP. People have a tendency to wait too long to quit bad jobs, not quit too soon. They hang in there much longer than they should thinking, "It will get better," "I'm not a quitter," "Maybe I'll get that promotion/raise/time off/benefit/boss I'm looking for," "I just need a break," etc. . . Life is short. There is no reason to force yourself to stay at a job you hate. And considering we spend much of our waking hours at work, enjoying it makes life so much better.

Exactly, making yourself miserable everyday "because any job is better than no job" is what drives people to an early grave from all the stress it puts on their bodies. I think people with this attitude have this constant fear over their heads of "I don't want to be seen as a bum or as lazy, so I just have to hang in their until I find a better job". They're willing to make themselves miserable to avoid negative judgement from other people. I don't care if people like the choices I made in life, because ultimately it is my life, not theirs, and I have to do what's best for me. I'm living my life for myself, not for anybody else.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Sounds a lot of snowflakey to me. No offense. Join the Army. Get shot at. Watch buddy take one in the belly. Reevaluate that job.
Could you please explain what you mean by "snowflakey"? It sounds to me like you're saying "What, you expect to actually like going to work? That's why they call it work, you're not supposed to enjoy it." But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:31 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
Is Having A Bad Job Worse Than Having No Job?
In most of the first world, it is better to quit a bad job than stay. In places like China it could land you on the involuntary organ donor list.

Old 06-14-2017, 09:33 AM

82 posts, read 109,158 times
Quote:
If you have a soul crushing, terrible job that makes you hate your life more and more each and every day, is that worse than having no job if you can afford to quit it and go look for another job? Or should you stick it out at your terrible job until you find another? I was faced with this decision a few months ago, and I decided to quit and work for myself rather than spend another moment in my horrible, life sucking job. I mean, if you job is destroying your will to live and turning you into a depressed zombie who only goes to work and comes home so he can turn his brain off and forget how terrible the work day was, why is keeping that job worth it?

What do you guys think?
quit and go on govt assistance.
food stamps, welfare, Medicaid

or does your job pay more than a living wage? ie: $25+/hr
if so, find another job while still at work at current job?
ie: call in sick, or tell them you have a doctor/dentist appt

Old 06-14-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 314Pie View Post
quit and go on govt assistance.
food stamps, welfare, Medicaid

or does your job pay more than a living wage? ie: $25+/hr
if so, find another job while still at work at current job?
ie: call in sick, or tell them you have a doctor/dentist appt

There's that mentality again. Anybody who doesn't have a job is just a leech on society and deserves to be looked down on, even if they are not on govt. assistance and can afford to quit a bad job in a moments notice, like myself.

I've already made my opinions on govt. assistance clear btw. I'd rather pay to feed and give medical care to people in this country than pay to drop bombs in the middle east and beef up the military so we can start another pointless war, but that's another discussion altogether. I blame the useless leeches at the top way more than the ones at the bottom.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:28 AM

564 posts, read 448,681 times
Quote:
Could you please explain what you mean by "snowflakey"? It sounds to me like you're saying "What, you expect to actually like going to work? That's why they call it work, you're not supposed to enjoy it." But please correct me if I'm wrong.
Okay, that's it, along with a bit of attitude for what I perceived as whining like the University children that feel threatened by an opposing viewpoint. You saw them posting right here about the evils of the corporations that made their cushy lives possible. Snowflakes.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:52 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
If you have a soul crushing, terrible job that makes you hate your life more and more each and every day, is that worse than having no job if you can afford to quit it and go look for another job? Or should you stick it out at your terrible job until you find another? I was faced with this decision a few months ago, and I decided to quit and work for myself rather than spend another moment in my horrible, life sucking job. I mean, if you job is destroying your will to live and turning you into a depressed zombie who only goes to work and comes home so he can turn his brain off and forget how terrible the work day was, why is keeping that job worth it?

What do you guys think?
It would depend on your position in life. If you have means available to alter your course the answer is 'hell no!'. However if you options are limited you might have to suck it up or be homeless.
I was fired from a job I hated and only hung on there because I fell for the obedient mentality of "at least I have a job." I'm still unemployed though and while my wife's check pays the bills we don't get to do much anymore however, the freedom of not being employed there has been bliss.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:09 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
It would depend on your position in life. If you have means available to alter your course the answer is 'hell no!'. However if you options are limited you might have to suck it up or be homeless.
I was fired from a job I hated and only hung on there because I fell for the obedient mentality of "at least I have a job." I'm still unemployed though and while my wife's check pays the bills we don't get to do much anymore however, the freedom of not being employed there has been bliss.
That's been another thing... being fired can be a blessing in disguise. I've known some folks who were too scared to move on from a current job, but that ended up being the push that got them into a new job that bumped their salaries 10% to 40% (whereas they were getting average 3% annual raises staying put)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment