Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 07:25 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,748,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
But most of us would rather have a job that pays the rent/mortgage rather then settle for ANY work that comes by.
That's the key right there in job selection which being able to pay the rent or mortgage. Taking anything that is available means you will have to work two jobs and maybe stuck in those jobs for a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,895 times
Being in a bad job sucks but making 0 dollars per hour is more depressing.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:03 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevdawgg View Post
Being in a bad job sucks but making 0 dollars per hour is more depressing.
Money isn't the be all, end all, especially if you're smart with your money, don't blow every cent you have and live paycheck to paycheck, and actually save a big chunk of what you make. That way I'm not shackled to a bad job like tons of people feel that they are, or they really are because they got in over their heads with debt. I have no debt, and that allows me a freedom that few people know and understand.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:14 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,144,741 times
It all depends on how you define a "bad" job.

Some jobs are physically demanding and the pay is minimum. You even need to get permission from supervisor if you go to bathroom. That is definitely a bad job.

Some jobs give you job satisfaction. But it requires you to always work overtime without OT compensation. Is that a bad job?

Another kind of job requires you to socialize with boss or customers after work hours at the expense of family life. Is that a bad job?

Another kind of job requires minimum input, i.e. one hour actual work in an eight hour shift. The work is routine and you get no satisfaction from it. Most of the other time you just sit at the desk and pretend working. Is that a bad job?

I have worked all above kinds of job. I am not certain if I can label the latter three categories as "bad" job.

An ideal job would offer job satisfaction, excellent pay, lots of benefits,....and you can take off anytime. But so far I haven't got the offer yet.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:27 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

Some jobs are physically demanding and the pay is minimum. You even need to get permission from supervisor if you go to bathroom. That is definitely a bad job.

Some jobs give you job satisfaction. But it requires you to always work overtime without OT compensation. Is that a bad job?

Another kind of job requires you to socialize with boss or customers after work hours at the expense of family life. Is that a bad job?

Another kind of job requires minimum input, i.e. one hour actual work in an eight hour shift. The work is routine and you get no satisfaction from it. Most of the other time you just sit at the desk and pretend working. Is that a bad job?

I have worked all above kinds of job. I am not certain if I can label the latter three categories as "bad" job.

An ideal job would offer job satisfaction, excellent pay, lots of benefits,....and you can take off anytime. But so far I haven't got the offer yet.

That is a very interesting point. There are a multitude of facets that go into whether a job is a "good" or a "bad" one. In my case it was the managers favoritism and general attitude that made the job unbearable, as I got along with almost everyone else that worked there. It was a somewhat satisfying job but I felt the environment really undermines the work that I was doing, as quantity came before quality. Everything had to be done now,now, now, there's no patience in a dealership from either customers or service writers and managers. The pay wasn't all that great but it was steady (I was hourly, not "flat rate" like the other techs and always got paid for every second I was there).

So all in all, It was the dealership environment, coupled with the lackluster pay that ultimately made me quit. It was building up for over 2 years, as I started really disliking the place after about 6 months in, and was always looking for a chance to escape the place. I finally did, and I did it my own way.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Lee View Post

True everyone may have a different definition of a bad job. I would define a bad job that involves working outside or having to work a shift that is not 9am to 5pm. Some people work jobs that require them to start work at 6am which is a job I would never ever take I cannot get up that early.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:33 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,308,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryinbaby View Post
This is me. After work, I come home and smoke cigarettes in bed until I fall asleep. I can't afford to quit or take time off. I can't afford anything like art classes, gym memberships, etc. that would make my life outside of work more fulfilling. I guess my life is going to be like this until I retire, and I'm only 25.

Seriously? And if you fall asleep WHILE smoking a cigarette and kill yourself and other innocent people in your building are you okay with that?

Old 07-16-2017, 02:31 AM

30 posts, read 35,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy12345678 View Post
But what if the job you have is making you incapable of living a normal life. Like if all you want to do after work is sit in a chair and numb yourself to the pain of life, that's not going to benefit me in finding a job. I say if work is stressing you out that much, you need to leave before you reach a breaking point.

That was the problem with my old job. It wasn't so much that I didn't enjoy the work itself. It was the stress level that came with it. Constantly being pushed to fix cars faster and faster, to sell more work, to get more cars through the door. It is a very high pressure, high stress environment that I don't function well in. I'm a very laid back person who likes to work at his own pace and not be rushed through a job. I think I would fair much better at a fleet shop than a dealership environment, but that's just me.

Why is having a job so much more important than enjoying life if you can afford to quit? If you're homeless on the street, then yes, any job is better than no job. But if you're at a place in your life were you can afford to take risks and make some changes, why stay shackled to a job you despise? Why is it better to be miserable and employed than happy an unemployed?
I'm also in this situation. I have a near six-figure job which I hate. It includes 50% car travel to remote areas, heavy workload, profane/offensive coworkers, no promotion potential, condescending supervisors, etc. I am almost there on walking off the job.

Last edited by SW_Dreamer; 07-16-2017 at 02:56 AM..

Old 07-16-2017, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW_Dreamer View Post
I'm also in this situation. I have a near six-figure job which I hate. It includes 50% car travel to remote areas, heavy workload, profane/offensive coworkers, no promotion potential, condescending supervisors, etc. I am almost there on walking off the job.
I already know ahead of time not to apply to any jobs that involves traveling to avoid being miserable. Working inside a office works for me over any other job regardless of the pay increase.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:22 AM

52 posts, read 40,656 times
I'd rather have a "bad" job than no job. Although to be fair I don't consider any of my past jobs to be "bad" jobs. I used to work physical labor and loved it, and now have been working in an office for the past few years which took some getting used to but I've found a way to really enjoy it. I've worked with a few difficult people and an incompetent supervisor but nothing that made me feel like my job was bad. So maybe my opinion on this would change if I ever find myself in a truly unbearable position. But I think for most situations I would try to hold onto my current job while looking for a new one. If I ever were to be jobless, my savings would be able to get me through for a while, but I'm just really fond of the security that comes with having a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment