Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 06:50 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Sounds like a company cares more about money than the people serving them. Typical in America's workforce.
Nonsense. This was done to stay competitive and stay in business. You don't think so? You don't like it? Then go start your own business and show us how it is all done with a concern of employees instead of staying in business. You could be like that famous company Stephen Glass wrote about called Jukt Micronics, where their concern not for profits. The only problem, is the entire story and company was a work of fiction by Glass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2017, 06:51 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
That's a disgusting attitude and so wrong. The company didn't feed the employees as if they were homeless charity cases out of the goodness of their hearts. They paid the employees in exchange for services performed, which they then marked up and sold for a profit to their customers.
I don't own a company. I'm not even in upper management and don't plan to be, but I'm realistic about the working world.

10 years is a very long time to go without getting laid off. That's about a third of a lot of people's careers and one company gave it to you. Not bad.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:28 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
OP---Accept the fact, that your company may still be working out what they can offer you if you stay with them. They probably are still trying to figure out the final offer of what will be available.

Old 06-21-2017, 04:55 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
You might not look at it this way, but the way I look at it is the company fed you for 10 whole years.

And you should be pretty grateful for that. I hate to tell you, but overhead is always the first thing companies cut. If you want to continue what you do with another company, that stretch of resume looks great.

But yea, companies don't owe you a thing except to pay you for the hours you've worked.

Just get another job as an admin assistant at another company. That's the most transferrable job around. And there's always hundreds of openings.
Not in the OP's situation. Did you not read her full post?

To make this even worse, I have elderly parents with health issues and have an FMLA so I can take time here and there to help my dad, plus I have one of the most supportive bosses when it comes to my parents and if/when health issues with them come up, there is no question -- I know I can leave.

You can't start a new job and take FMLA, you can't even really get sick or have car trouble the first few months.

OP, stick it out for now. Sorry this is happening to you and at time when you have family issues.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:30 PM

532 posts, read 958,626 times
You can't start a new job and take FMLA, you can't even really get sick or have car trouble the first few months.

OP, stick it out for now. Sorry this is happening to you and at time when you have family issues.[/quote]

Thank you! So very true. I will have an update in a few days. Things are still being resolved.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:40 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,285,742 times
Quote:
I don't own a company. I'm not even in upper management and don't plan to be, but I'm realistic about the working world.

10 years is a very long time to go without getting laid off. That's about a third of a lot of people's careers and one company gave it to you. Not bad.
The company didn't give it to you. If you were there during 10 years, it means that management was able to make money off of what you provide to them. They didn't give you anything! They aren't feeding you as you indicated, they aren't providing anything for you. It is disgusting to associate continuous employment as they did this as a favor, an act of kindness, and act of charity. You have a lack of self-esteem and self-worth to place the credit to this at the feet of the employer, it is not. I've been in meetings with accountants for companies and they don't have all these warm and fuzzy conversations about raises and who to downsize. They have no intention of providing welfare to their employees, they only do so because they have a business to run and need those services and pay as little as they can get away with in doing so. That is how a business is run. A business that doesn't do that goes out of business.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:46 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,755,796 times
Quote:
You might not look at it this way, but the way I look at it is the company fed you for 10 whole years.

And you should be pretty grateful for that. I hate to tell you, but overhead is always the first thing companies cut. If you want to continue what you do with another company, that stretch of resume looks great.

But yea, companies don't owe you a thing except to pay you for the hours you've worked.

Just get another job as an admin assistant at another company. That's the most transferrable job around. And there's always hundreds of openings.
You can also look at that it that the person gave 10 years of loyalty and hard work and the company doesn't show any loyalty back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Nonsense. This was done to stay competitive and stay in business. You don't think so? You don't like it? Then go start your own business and show us how it is all done with a concern of employees instead of staying in business. You could be like that famous company Stephen Glass wrote about called Jukt Micronics, where their concern not for profits. The only problem, is the entire story and company was a work of fiction by Glass.
Or I can not support businesses that show no respect for their employees? I vote with my dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment