Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 07:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Have your cellphone in your hand and pretend it's on vibrate and ringing and say "Excuse me I have to take this." Doing that a few times will hopefully give them the hint. I work remotely but when someone calls me to ***** and moan about work I will actually call my cellphone from my landline and turn the ring volume up and say "Ooops, gotta take that it's my wife" or something to that effect.
Replace the cell phone with a banana but do the same thing. Then they will REALLY get the point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolettaDeValery View Post
A lot of the time when you hear advice about blabby co-workers, it's assumed that you have the ability to just exit the situation yourself. But what if you are stuck sitting at a desk or station, and the person saunters in and starts monopolizing your time with unwanted conversation?

I have 3 different co-workers who do this to me from time to time. They walk in, ask a question, I answer it, and then they hang around like they have no particular place to be. It's worse because I'm in a reception-type area (I'm not a receptionist) and there's no real easy way to just go somewhere else. I'd have to walk past them and pretend I suddenly have something super important to do elsewhere in the office. Not real convincing.

And what is it with conversationally needy people descending on me? There's this one guy who is a part time worker at our office who stops by EVERY FREAKING DAY to inform me that he's here or that he's going for the day... our jobs have nothing to do with each other... I try to be as polite as possible but I just don't want to chat, don't have time to chat, and to be honest, I don't particularly care about his plans nor do I care if he asks me about mine...

Honestly, I'm sometimes not particularly busy when this happens. I might be waiting for a phone call or e-mail, etc. or just gathering my thoughts for the next round of work. But how do you tactifully say, "OK, our little conversation is over... now please run along and get out of my face?" (Does it ever occur to these people that the other person may not feel like chatting?)
Truth is, it is your responsibility to stay on task. It is your job, your work responsibilities that are important. So, you really should reassess your perceived helplessness at taking control of your work space and unnecessary interruptions.

Also, I recognize that you have a disadvantage having a work space that has no physical boundaries. Have you discussed a more appropriate work space with your supervisor? You might advocate for such a proper space by citing the examples that you've stated here. It is much more productive.

I would look them in the eye and say...."Sorry, I have to take this" and fake answering a call.....or an email.

Or, bluntly say...."Was there anything else?" or Glad I could help.....Now I have to get back to what I was doing.

Do this as soon as they walk up.....It seems that you are not wanting to offend, but it is your job to stay on task and these time wasters obviously have no care about how they are interfering with your job.

I am a person who likes to stay focused. I once refused a good friend to share my office because he often can talk your head off. I point blank told him we would never get any work done.

Regarding the part time employee who checks in with you.....Has anyone ever told him that he doesn't have to? You might say to him, FYI you really don't need to announce your comings and going to me.

As far as other co-workers. I would begin sitting boundaries....if it isn't directly related to your job, tell them you'll discuss it after work....or not.

Here are a few links with ideas for controlling work interruptions and improve your time management skills:
Unproductive? Blame all of those interruptions at work - TODAY.com
Interruptions at work
https://www.themuse.com/advice/6-sec...ptions-at-work
https://www.nbcnews.com/better/caree...s-work-n755466
https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newHTE_94.htm
https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10...cused-at-work/

Old 06-15-2017, 09:16 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,254,959 times
I usually say something like... "oh man i'm swamped right now i gotta get back to this" and then look at my computer and start typing lol. i say it in a really friendly polite way though and then they usually say "ok see you later"

Old 06-15-2017, 09:40 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMetal View Post
"I have to get back to work" & then pick up the phone or get on your computer & start typing or stand up & go somewhere, even to the restroom.

AND just continue to work and ignore them!

Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 AM

8,065 posts, read 12,779,194 times
Set up your cell to dial your phone extension. When you see these people approaching call your desk phone and pretend you are talking to a client or boss.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:24 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
I don't see how people survive in this world without basic skills like
telling someone

"I need to get back to work, nice chatting, talk later"

If you need to go and you are chatting on the phone what do you say??

Making up that you have a call or other excuses is a lack of assertiveness.

What if someone invites you to lunch and you just don't want to go.
Do you make up excuses or just say " maybe next time"

Learning to speak your mind without making up lies & excuses makes life so much easier.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:29 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I learned from an older secretary how to deal with this, and I probably read about it too, somewhere, but at any rate, this worked for me:

Give them some work every time they stop by your desk. "Oh, I'm so swamped, I'm so glad you're here. Would you take this mail to the mail room for me, thanks!"

"Oh, since you're not busy, would you mind going to so and so's desk and telling her she needs to finish up those mailing labels for me? I'm swamped, I'm so glad you have time to help me right now..."

"Oh, thank goodness you're not busy...would you please stuff these envelopes for me?"

If you give them something to do every time they come to your desk....they'll stop coming.

It's the easier, passive aggressive way to deal with them, which doesn't hurt any feelings or require a confrontation.
Oh I LOVE LOVE LOVE this idea!

Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,721,445 times
Ignore them and turn to my computer screen or paperwork.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:39 AM

951 posts, read 1,140,635 times
In times like the OP's, thank goodness I have such a bitchy looking face and persona that people usually don't talk to me. I feel sorry for one of my coworkers. I swear he gets bugged EVERYDAY by the same guy. I usually don't mind small talk, but to get tapped every work day by the same person (who just likes to talk) would drive me nuts.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:29 PM

810 posts, read 667,681 times
Ask them if they think disposable underwear is useful on a trip...............everytime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment