Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:56 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times

Advertisements

You should write Trump. I hear he will give you a job you are completely unqualified for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 07:03 PM

92 posts, read 142,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
You should write Trump. I hear he will give you a job you are completely unqualified for.
I might as well

Old 06-18-2017, 07:01 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,676,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NthPower View Post
Thank you all for your replies. However, I need to clarify things that were asked or said.

I had been wearing hearing aids for a very long time. I had to use a FM system in K-12 grades all the way through college.

I'm diabetic for almost two decades and never had an employer before this University ever complained about the smell. I believe that this was isolated, but it was written up, anyways.

The insulin had a strong smell, and I was trying to get to the root of the problem, but never did find out what was causing it, if at all.

I think it has to do with conditioning. For example, if I told someone else that this person smells, then the person that I told it to, would believe it. This was coming from the director, herself. She never told me directly, but told it to my supervisor, who was on the same level as her just she was leaving the University just a few days later.

The campus was spread out and I had to walk outside in 100-110 degree heat on a large hill with woodsy and grassy terrain.

I understand that I have options, but I like to work, earn more money, and grow as a person. I still have many more years of work.

Should I consider legal action? It look me three years to find that job, but is it worth salvaging? That was why I thought I ask you all about it.

I'm waiting to hear about the askamanager.com as they stopped offering the service as of 2012.

I will continue on looking like I have been in the past year. This past month, I did work some for a temp agency, but it was part time and I haven't been working about a month now. I don't count that as gainfully employed. However, I will let you know how it goes.

I appreciate your comments and keep them coming. Thanks!
My guess would be that if you were coming in after walking in the really hot temperatures, that would be the source of the smell. The best option there would have been to bring some baby wipes and anti-perspirant to work to wipe down the perspiration as everyone is probably going to perspire in those temperatures and need some freshening up. If this is the only job where you had complaints about the smell and the only job where you had to walk outside in conditions like this- that would probably explain it.

However, I think there should be a variety of jobs out there that don't involve walking outside. I imagine most jobs really wouldn't involve much walking outside if they are office oriented.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:01 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
I was looking into the cover letter/resume critique service there. They charged under $70 or $75 for it. They stopped in 2012 and wrote to them if they still offer the service. My current resume had been looked through with one of the job centers that I had gone to during the recession. But, yes I will browse through the site. Thanks!
She has offered the service after that, last time was a year or so ago. I know her site is growing and she's busier but still lots of great input there.

Best of luck to you, hope you find a good fit soon.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye66 View Post
She has offered the service after that, last time was a year or so ago. I know her site is growing and she's busier but still lots of great input there.

Best of luck to you, hope you find a good fit soon.
Thank you, however, I just got word that she was not offering it. I can always go to the job center for assistance.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
My guess would be that if you were coming in after walking in the really hot temperatures, that would be the source of the smell. The best option there would have been to bring some baby wipes and anti-perspirant to work to wipe down the perspiration as everyone is probably going to perspire in those temperatures and need some freshening up. If this is the only job where you had complaints about the smell and the only job where you had to walk outside in conditions like this- that would probably explain it.

However, I think there should be a variety of jobs out there that don't involve walking outside. I imagine most jobs really wouldn't involve much walking outside if they are office oriented.
True, but I often had to go outside for my job. The region where I live is the cheapest housing around. The commute was an hour every day. I would have to commute much longer near the coast for cooler area and will have to perspire anyways due to the physical nature of the work or if I have to walk as far. I didn't complain about others smelling, but they did, causing me more trouble.

Maybe leaving there was the best thing, but I feel that I have to do something to get my job back. Or if I have a new job by now, I can put all of this behind me.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:03 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
True, but I often had to go outside for my job. The region where I live is the cheapest housing around. The commute was an hour every day. I would have to commute much longer near the coast for cooler area and will have to perspire anyways due to the physical nature of the work or if I have to walk as far. I didn't complain about others smelling, but they did, causing me more trouble.

Maybe leaving there was the best thing, but I feel that I have to do something to get my job back. Or if I have a new job by now, I can put all of this behind me.
Nope. Time to move on.

Dear God. I would be absolutely horrified if someone said I smelled...and to even consider going back? No.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:19 PM

3,573 posts, read 2,882,281 times
Quote:
Thank you, however, I just got word that she was not offering it. I can always go to the job center for assistance.
Job Centers, why well meaning, are often guilty of very outdated resume and interviewing advice. It hurts to have to write this again but there is a lot of very relevant and current advice there that is easy to find. As far as actually constructing the resume, there are many formats available at no cost.

Old 06-18-2017, 07:28 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Quote:

Please move on. It was a bad environment for you, and they aren't going to rehire you. Once a company has fired somebody for cause, that is a final decision that they won't reconsider.

Sorry if that news hurts, but it is for the best if you accept it and move on. This job is in your past, leave it there.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:35 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:

there's nothing you can do to get your job back. You could try the legal routes, but can you afford it?? And what grounds would you sue them on? They termed you with cause and being smelly was not the 'cause'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment